Retro games played with the old ball

I think it might be neat to see a ball from Canadian football of past used that had no stripes. I suppose we could just use an NFL ball and have the logo changed but maybe the J5V would be more appropriate if that was the ball used when there were no stripes.

When did we put the stripes on our footballs, and why did we put them there?

so that fans could see the ball when its in the air :wink:

Won't happen Earl.

Games are too important, a home playoff date is too expensive to lose for an owner just to use a retro ball. Yes both teams have to play with the ball but it wouldn't fly.

Well you see at the Wilson factory, the workers on the lines were juggling too many balls for all the leagues and ...

no retro this year...

they're not doing the 80's..

NFL and CFL balls are not at all the same. Go get an NFL ball and compare. NFL balls are, imo, easier to handle/tuck and throw. NFL balls are also a bit longer and narrower, making spirals easier/more consistent. CFL balls, to me, seam easier to kick. They also are easier to grip when throwing for me, though many feel the opposite.

The ball sizes may seem to be subtle in differences, but they are way different in reality. try them both, you should be able to see.

i think if u just go to a store and check em out, u could tell the obvious differences right away.. i almost wanna say the nfl ball is more aero dynamic than the cfl ball... thus like u said making spirals easier... more consistent even with non pros like us throwing the thing, imo, nfl ball is easier to throw, cfl ball is easier to catch if that makes any sense. cfl ball seems bigger, looks bigger atleast... makes it easier to catch. kicking.. well, both are difficult to kick as neither are round :stuck_out_tongue: so ya.. but i think with the bigger cfl ball, it has more weight so therefore, carrys more like a soccer ball does.. if that makes sense.

[quote="TheKillerIsMe"
i think if u just go to a store and check em out, u could tell the obvious differences right away.. i almost wanna say the nfl ball is more aero dynamic than the cfl ball... thus like u said making spirals easier... more consistent even with non pros like us throwing the thing, imo, nfl ball is easier to throw, cfl ball is easier to catch if that makes any sense. cfl ball seems bigger, looks bigger atleast... makes it easier to catch. kicking.. well, both are difficult to kick as neither are round :stuck_out_tongue: so ya.. but i think with the bigger cfl ball, it has more weight so therefore, carrys more like a soccer ball does.. if that makes sense.
[/quote]
the NFL ball is longer, the CFL ball thicker...however, all but identical in total displacement...i will actually do a displacement test later, but am guessing that there will be under a 0.5% difference. As the NFL ball is more elongated, yes, that generally means it is more aerodynamic, but, as the the CFL ball is more rounded (thicker if you will), it means there is more of a curve (much more actually, as it is both thicker and shorter) making it easier to roe an angle on it when kicking. Having QBd in games on a regular basis with both balls, I would say the NFL easier to get proficient with. Many have a harder time gripping the wider CFL ball. I generally see people do better faster with the CFL ball, but in the long hall do better with the NFL ball...granted, that is based on growing up with a CFL ball...perhaps it would be different if I grew up throwing an NFL ball. As for catching, I actually think that the NFL ball is easier to catch...it is slightly longer, so you have a little more wiggle room on when to squeeze, and it is not as thick, so a little easier to wrap a hand on. Besides that it is also a softer material and easier to cushion.

And it's the most retro of them all...

Music wise that is...

Not sure about us, but if you look at old Gilchrist pictures, they took the stripes off down south for the 1964 season.

[quote author="depopulationINC"]

the NFL ball is longer, the CFL ball thicker...however, all but identical in total displacement...i will actually do a displacement test later, but am guessing that there will be under a 0.5% difference. As the NFL ball is more elongated, yes, that generally means it is more aerodynamic, but, as the the CFL ball is more rounded (thicker if you will), it means there is more of a curve (much more actually, as it is both thicker and shorter) making it easier to roe an angle on it when kicking. Having QBd in games on a regular basis with both balls, I would say the NFL easier to get proficient with. Many have a harder time gripping the wider CFL ball. I generally see people do better faster with the CFL ball, but in the long hall do better with the NFL ball...granted, that is based on growing up with a CFL ball...perhaps it would be different if I grew up throwing an NFL ball. As for catching, I actually think that the NFL ball is easier to catch...it is slightly longer, so you have a little more wiggle room on when to squeeze, and it is not as thick, so a little easier to wrap a hand on. Besides that it is also a softer material and easier to cushion.

Not sre if it was the jv5 but the CFL ball in the 60's and 70's was huge compared to the one now. For this reason-

IMO Ron Lancasters passing record should stand in a seperate catagory than the other top pro QB,s

even in the eighties the NFL ball was much bigger yes.

What passing record do you speak of? I believe the only record Lancaster holds is that of most INTs in a career. His passing yards record has been surpassed several times now, in fact, I am not sure he is in the top 10 anymore. I believe Damon Allen holds the record, which Calvio will theoretically break this season, as will Favre should he play another year. Manning might give it a run in a few years. Flutie would have owned the record if he had actually played while in the NFL.

I think a CFLer having the record is only fitting. CFL is a pass first league, NFL is a run first league (though they are passing more and more all of the time). Warren Moon Stood up and gave people who cried about it crap, and said if you are so worried about your stats, and you THINK you can pass for more in the CFL, then go do it. If a QB was truly concerned about his lifetime stats that much, then he should play in another league. One can make a very comfortable living as a starting QB in the CFL...thats right....they only care because it means a bigger paycheck.

Well I guess throwing is one thing especially if you don't have mitts for hands (i.e. Andy Fantuz's measures 11 inches from the tip of the thumb to the extended pinky finger).

However give me or most any kicker or punter either ball and we'll kick it just the same.

I train also with a bigger and lighter rugby ball for that matter. Even with that ball the only significant differences for the rugby ball is I can drop-kick it farther and one has to work the winds differently with it as well because it has more surface area.

I love both gridiron games and could care less about such minor differences in the pigskin, but hey if stripes turn some folks on more than others more power to them.

Wasn't it Burris who said he found the CFL actually easier to throw than the NFL ball. Can't remember why he said that but pretty sure he mentioned that in the last few years.

Burris doesn't exactly have NFL experience though. I believe the CFL and college ball is the same.

what's the source for this?

sorry to tell you, but_ nfl ball was never bigger than CFL ball!

The little General held the passing record for yardage for over 20 years, and did it throwing the bigger more difficult "old" Canadian ball! made by Spalding , clearly Lancaster's record is in a seperate class than Farve or Allen
Both CFL. and nfl balls are made by Wilson now, thats why they are the same in this era -cheers

check out the size of the old rock_ or should we say boulder here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7iCaC-ZGy0

Here are some newspaper excerpts from the mid-1980s about the Spalding J5V.

From 1984:
TORONTO (CP) — Fumbles are up 40 per cent in the Canadian Football League this year and some coaches and players suspect the company that manufactures the balls is handing them off a slippery product.
Head coach Reuben Berry of Saskatchewan Roughriders and Joe Paopao, his quarterback, are convinced of it.
Berry says he's filed a complaint to commissioner Doug Mitchell about the texture of the balls and says Mitchell has assured him there'll be a review of the manufacturing process.
Entering Week 12 of the CFL schedule, players have fumbled a total of 187 times. At the corresponding time last season, there were 133 fumbles.
"We think the ball is being produced differently this year." Spalding Canada supplies the balls but no longer manufactures them. Spalding closed its Brantford, Ont., plant before the 1983 season and arranged for CFL balls to be manufactured by a small business in St. George, Ont., called H.D. Brown Enterprises Ltd. The Spalding name continues to appear on the balls.
Transferred
Tom Wright, Spalding's marketing director, said some of the Spalding equipment and some of the firm's former employees were transferred to the Brown plant, "So, I can't see how there could be a difference in balls."

From 1985:
WINNIPEG (CP) — There is a problem with the footballs in the Canadian Football League. Some of the players don't like them.
They say they're hard to hold, hard to throw and too fat. "They should change balls from the traditional Spalding J5V to the Wilson (National Football League) model," said Mark Moors, a centre-guard with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. "I can't understand why the league doesn't want to use the NFL ball."
The CFL has been using Spalding footballs since the turn of the century. Two years ago, Spalding Canada closed its plant in Brantford, Ont., but the small firm of H.D. Brown Enterprises Ltd. of St. George, Ont., continues to supply the CFL with footballs under the Spalding name.
Last season, fumbles in the CFL were up by 40 per cent and some players were convinced it was because the new balls were too slippery.
Blue Bomber John Bonk, a 13-year veteran, said the new ball is too fat with rounded points. "It really looks and feels like a rugby ball," Bonk said.

From 1986:
The size of the CFL football has changed this year; how many times has this happened previously?
The CFL has been using the same Spalding model J5V football as far back as the 1958 Grey Cup (Incidentally won by Winnipeg). Yet last year Spalding shipped a wider football (the length had remained constant) to all CFL clubs and many players complained that the ball was too hard to hold. This year the CFL had Spalding narrow the balls diameter close to the size used to the U.S. college ranks while again keeping the same length.

From 1986:
Mitchell said the league has signed a three-year agreement with Spalding Canada that will see the Spalding J5V, in modified form, continue as the league's official football.
The ball will remain the same length but will be slightly smaller in circumference, the length and width of the laces will be increased and the leather will change, providing higher pebbles for a better grip

Good post.