Retro: A great Ticat Player

Great feature on Garney Henley:

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/article/retro-ticat-great-garney-henley]http://www.cfl.ca/article/retro-ticat-g ... ney-henley[/url]

wow this guy was fast, see the video:

http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/5253

One of the alltime GREATS

can anyone tell me who the Pack got in return for Garney?

a small voice tells me it was Larry Hickman --- a fullback --

I remember that Green Bay was a revolving door northward in that era.

Randy Duncan - a quarterback - went from the Pack to the BC Lions
Bruce Clark - a defensive tackle went from them to Saskatchewan
George Dixon was a 9th round Pack pick in 1959 who went to the Alouettes and became one of their all time greats

By Bailey went from the Pack to the BC Lions to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame , as did Indian Hack Jacobs.

Jerry Tagge went from the Pack via the San Antonio Wings of the WFL and in 1977 he moved north to the Lions where he was named a CFL all-star, winner of the Jeff Nicklin Memorial Trophy and runner-up for the CFL's Most Outstanding Player Award. In 1977, he completed 232 of 405 passes for 2787 yards, and in 1978, he hit on 243 of 430 passes for 3134 yards. He played part of the 1979 season before injuries forced him to retire.

Ernie Danjean went from the Pack to the Stampeders and even spent a year with the Tabbies in 1959
if Im not mistaken

and it wasnt a one way journey:

Urban Henry (tackle BC lions) Vince Feraggamo, Henry Burris and Bob Jeter ( a BC lion running back who spent time with the Ticats- being cut in training camp before he joined the Pack where he was converted to a safety and became a pro-bowler.

8) I'm pretty certain that the Packers got nothing in return for Garney Henley. He was one of the Packers final cuts in 1960, and Vince Lombardi was friends with Jim Trimble, so Henley was asked to come to Hamilton and play for the Cats, if he was interested.
  The only reason that Henley was cut from Green Bay was because of his size  !!!!

I don't ever remember hearing of any player going to Green Bay in return for Garney.

Far as I know the CFL and the NFL do not make trades. They give players their (conditional) release papers to sign on given teams North or South of the border. However, I think they are still property of the team that lets them go in some cases? On an outright release they can sign/tryout with any given team. If I'm wrong, someone will post with the correct info.

well actually back then they did -- sort of

Joe Kapp was drafted in the 18th round of the 1959 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins, who owned his rights to play pro football in the States. After the draft, Washington didn;t contact him, so his only choice was to accept the offer from Jim Finks, GM of the Calgary Stampeders.

Kapp joined the Stamps as a rookie in 1959. The following year, he led Calgary to their first playoff appearance in years.

In 1961, the Lions, traded four starting players to the Stamps for Kapp who led the team to a Grey Cup in 1963. The following season, Kapp led the Lions to their first Grey Cup victory in 1964.

Before the 67 season, Kapp decided to return to the U.S. to play pro football. The AFL's Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, and Houston Oilers were heavily pursuing him. Kapp decided to sign a contract with Houston, but the Lions and CFL complained to Pete Rozelle, the NFL’s commissioner accusing the Oilers of tampering. Rozelle after his investigation, announced the Houston Oilers had indeed tampered by signing Kapp while he was under contract to the BC Lions, so he voided the contract.

Kapp ended up signing with the NFL's Minnesota Vikings in a multi-player "trade" between the CFL and NFL teams, one of the very few transactions to ever occur between the two leagues.

The Minnesota Vikings in 1965 had drafted running back Jim Young out of Queens University in Kingston, Ontario. He had spent the 1965 and 1966 seasons with the Vikings, but wanted to return to Canada. The B.C. Lions were very interested in acquiring Young, but the Toronto Argonauts had his CFL rights.

The Minnesota Vikings general manager was Jim Finks, who had brought Kapp to Canada in 1959, and their head coach was Bud Grant who had faced Kapp while coaching the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Both Finks and Grant thought Joe Kapp would be the best replacement for Fran Tarkenton who had been traded to the New York Giants. To make this transaction possible, the BC Lions traded all-star defensive lineman Dick Fouts, and future CFL Hall of Fame running back Bill Symons to the Toronto Argonauts for the CFL rights to future CFL Hall of Fame wide receiver Jim Young. They then managed getting Kapp waived out of the CFL.

The Minnesota Vikings managed getting Jim Young waived out of the NFL. The expansion New Orleans Saints wanted Young and it took some work from Finks to keep them from claiming Young.

Kapp, waived from the CFL, was free to sign with the NFL

A Gentleman and a Tiger, just like the title of his book. Vince Lombardi cut Henley after he dropped a touchdown pass in a pre-season game. The Packers loss was the Tiger-Cats gain.