Retractable Roof for BC Place?

What's all this talk that BC Place is slated to get a Retractable Roof?

They will pretty well need one for 2010 as the fumes from the Olympic flame will have to be vented. I don't believe the air circulation system within the closed dome now is adequate to keep the flame fumes down to a safe level for the crowd.

How much would a Retractable roof cost and how long would BC Place be closed for construction? I thought I heard the $ 100 million figure passed around. Where would the Lions play during closure?

There are no plans for a retractable roof.

The walls of BC Place were designed for the lightweight teflon dome. They can't bear the weight of a retractable roof. So you would have to rebuild the walls.

The current seats are designed for interior use. To make them all-weather you would have to install 60 000 new ones.

A retractable roof for BC Place is close to impossible. You would be smarter to build a new stadium and that isn't happening.

The Olympic flame is supposed to be outside the stadium.

Did you read Page 4 of today's (Tuesday's) 24 Hrs at the bottom? David Podmore (BC Pavilion Corporation) is seeking approval for a Retractable roof which would result in closure of BC Place Stadium this time next year.

I read it. Podmore is thinking of Univ. of Phoenix Stadium which is brand new and has a retractable teflon roof, rather than the conventional Skydome or Safeco model which BC Place can’t support.

I still can’t see it happening. It means in two years you have to design it, approve funding for it and build it. Things in Vancouver don’t move that fast. When the dome ripped last January they were still working on it in June.

BC Place has been approved for 6 million dollars in Olympic improvements. Try to tell the public it has gone up to 106 million dollars when there are already cost over runs on the Olympics and the convention center and the stadium already met IOC standards.

They are talking about funding it by selling off parking space owned by BC Pavillion around the stadium for condos thus funding the new roof. Honestly though I highly doubt it will happen

You mind suggesting how they're going to vent the fumes from that Olympic flame cauldron that they're going to have burning inside the dome for 17 days without stinking in the dome in for 17 days and causing people to pass out from carbon monoxide poisoning?

The more important question is, what fool would make the decision to have the Olympic flame inside a totally enclosed stadium? :wink:

Kristjan, the line up of political fools is long out here in lotus land… :roll:

Nothing would surprise me out here! :roll: :roll:

Looks like it will happen: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

[url=http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=9639952c-aa59-4849-bef0-1fdc28acad78&k=83682]http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 78&k=83682[/url]

I hope they choose retractable roof. It would be nice on those hot July days! :wink:

The stadium is equipped with vents in the upper deck which can all be opened to create one hell of a draft (because of the difference in air pressure) to circulate air through the structure. Also, BC Place only uses 1/3 of its fans to keep the roof inflated so the others could be turned on as well.

During Grey Cup 05’, the halftime show filled the stadium with so much smoke, the beginning of the second half was delayed. However, by the midway point of the third quarter, it had all but vanished.

I remember that! I could feel the flames from where I was sitting!

right and you're going to be feeling that flame heat on your face for 17 straight days if that flame is stuck in that stupid dome,

remember they're going to have concerts every night in front of 45,000; that flame will just be a distraction and it will stink

Jim Mullin and John McComb had a good discussion about this Tuesday night. I wouldn't count out this article entirely.

Concrete piles wouldn't be needed for a simple replacement of the current bubble but would be needed for a structure to support an arch system such as the Univ. of Phoenix Stadium or the Retractable dome in Japan:

[url=http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/content.jsp?id=com.tms.cms.article.Article_5f29b516-cb73c03a-1d7b2220-e3fdfed5]http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/content ... 0-e3fdfed5[/url]

"28-02-2008: Cepco in talks on Winter Olympic indoor stadium
by Yantoultra Ngui Yichen

KUALA LUMPUR: Concrete Engineering Products Bhd (Cepco) is in talks with Canada on the development of the indoor stadium for the Winter Olympic 2010 in Vancouver , said its managing director Nelson Leong.

“It is still in the enquiring stage though, like how much it is to produce the piles, and how much it is to ship to Vancouver,? he told reporters after Cepco’s AGM here yesterday.

On the value of the contract, he said it would only be confirmed by the end of this month, adding that it would make the necessary announcement when the deal was finalised.

The pre-stressed spun concrete piles and poles manufacturer was currently focusing on the export market such as the Middle East especially Iran , said Leong.

Currently, its revenue contribution from exports was 15% and it expected export sales to increase in tandem with its overseas expansion plan, he added.

Leong said Cepco had an outstanding order book of RM80 million, which would keep the company busy until the end of this fiscal year ending Aug 31, 2008 (FY08).

On the local front, Leong said Cepco was confident of securing a RM150 million contract from UEM Builders Bhd to supply marine piles for the second Penang bridge project.

“Our marine piles were successfully tested for the second Penang bridge in July last year,? he said.

He added that three points along the site of the bridge were tested with its 1,000mm diameter marine piles and they all passed the respective tests.

Apart from the bridge project, Leong said Cepco was also bidding for contracts in the Ninth Malaysia Plan (9MP) projects such as the electric double-tracking rail project.

There are only two players in the spun concrete pile industry locally, with its only competitor being Industrial Concrete Product Bhd (ICP).

Cepco has four plants located in Sungai Petani, Pasir Gudang, Rawang and Nilai, with an annual production capacity of 830,000 tonnes in total.

For its first quarter ended Nov 30, 2007, Cepco’s net profit surged 227.5% to RM1.41 million from RM433,000 a year earlier on the back of improved demand and delivery of its products."