Respect for Tank Reed

Is Reed a regular on the punt return team? Freddie Plesius is but did not play on Sunday. I don't know the personnel packages well enough but if Reed was filling in for Fredo, then that might be a small piece to the flag puzzle. Either way, Reed and Banks will always be remembered by Cat fans. The 13th man in the Riders' cup loss was protected by Kavis Reed taking responsibility and now another Reed is a stand up guy. Tank Reed is the man! :thup:

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

I've likely watched the replay of the so called clipping penalty about 50 times by now and I'm convinced that it was a cheap, unnecessary call. It seems to me that clipping or blocking from behind as it is sometimes referred to, is physically blocking your opponent. I saw no such thing. Reed simply gave his opponent a light shove and down went the man with his Oscar performing fake. There was no real body to body contact.

Its good of Reed to take the rap for this faux pas but reality here dictates that the official in question could have and , in this game should have ignored what was a very minor infraction if any.

Taylor Reed is a great ball player and I want him back here next season.

Reed played very well the entire game, and was one of the reasons the Ticats kept the score close. He played a big part of stopping Cornish. It's unfortunate that he'll be remembered more for that one mistake than for the multiple good plays he had throughout the game.

Here's hoping he's with the team for years to come.

There's a reason his nickname is "Tank". Don't forget, he was, until the end of the GC, a rookie MLB. The man has more than proven himself both on the field and off. Here's hoping for a long, lucrative, WINNING contract...

Well I'm extremely upset with all the bashing Mr. Reed is taking on other Ti-Cat Facebook groups who call themselves die hard Ti-Cat fans. These people are not fans they are trash talkers! It takes a TEAM to win, it was not this one call along that lost the game. How many times can you leave the ball in the red zone only to get 3 points. What about the block field goal! Maybe if we went on the 3rd and inch's.

Yes, he had a strong rookie year, yes he'll probably be even better next year, yes you win as a team and you lose as a team, yes the team had other chances to win..... yada yada yada. He also took the penalty that cost his team the Grey Cup.

At least he manned up and admitted his mistake but he cost them the championship.

An Argo-Cat fan

I have to disagree with you there. If the GC game came down to one play to win it, then that one play can’t have been said to have “cost his team the Grey Cup.” The penalized player simply erred on that play. Numerous other factors led to the Cats losing the GC (I would argue 4 trips into the red zone netting only 9 points.)

By the logic you have proposed, if Banks had been tackled on the play and not scored, would he have “cost his team the Grey Cup?” That could have also been an outcome of that one play, the play you suggest was the deciding factor in the GC.

Yep anyone who blames Tank Reed for losing the Grey Cup has a pea brain (right ryan3434)the guy plays the game Hamilton style,Tuff Hard Nosed Defense and in no way shape or form should a flag been thrown on that play go watch 100 returns in the CFL what Tank Reed done is done on very return every time.

Wrong, sorry.

Reed committed a foul that is against the rules, blocking from behind on a punt return. The official on the spot saw it, and threw the flag. The head of officiating has confirmed it was the correct call. And, perhaps more importantly, Reed has manned up and accepted responsibility. Given all that, you just cannot say that “in no way shape or form should a flag have been thrown on that play.”

Much as it broke all our hearts, the flag had to be thrown. I hate it as much as everyone else (although I concede I might not hate it as much as Banks and Reed), but given Reed’s admission, and his reaction on the field (his body language made it clear he knew he screwed up), you just really can’t argue the call.

I suspect that on most other returns with a “block from behind” that isn’t called, there is probably some subtle difference. The officials may not have seen the block. The block may have been so far away from the returner that the officials let it go as meaningless. The block may have actually been from the side, with the blocker’s head even with or slightly in front of the player being blocked at the initial point of contact. The player being blocked may have turned his back on the blocker at the last second in an attempt to draw a penalty.

Watch 100 returns, or 1000 returns, and you might find a handful of blocks exactly like the one Reed made. And most of them would probably have been called.

There were still 30 seconds on the clock after that play - enough for a quick drive. One could just as easily say that anyone who messed up on those plays (o-line, Collaros, receivers?) cost us the game, because without that, we would have been able to score on that drive.

Or on any of the previous 130 plays.

After such a heartbreaking result to such an important play, I wondered if maybe Bank’s teammates were having trouble focusing as well. Keep in mind, this is the youngest team in the league.