Report: Work Stoppage Looms

People, People, People, look before we think the sky is falling, check-out where the source is coming from… ROGERS Sportsnet!!! The same company that has been trying to destroy the CFL for years!!! They try to plant these “little bombs” right around the time CFL teams are pushing for new season-ticket holders to seed doubt that there is going to be an upcoming season. They are trying to get people to think there won’t be a season, so why buy season tickets. This is just all smoke and mirrors brought to you by Rogers.

This is no Joke I spoke to few Members of CFLPA and There not happy at all
The Feel there very well could be a Lock out…

Onknight - With a due respect, if several of the CFLPA are upset then that is too fricking bad. Most of us have taken a pay cut (myself included) and carry on with new taxes are being introduced and while anything we pruchase the price rises. The CFLPA needs take a step back - give their heads a HUGE shake and be thankful for what they have. Sure the owners whant to change some aspects of their collective agreement. I don’t believe the players have any bargaining power and the owners should realize this a forge some sort of meet me half way process. Without this approach - most of the playerss will never play football anywhere else. Look for the win - win attitude.

I do have to agree with the majority of the posters who feel a "work stoppage" is not in the best interests of the league. Hamilton and Toronto are still the 2 weak links in the CFL and until their positions improves, why would the CFLPA want to strike and why would the owners/BOG not want to work towards a satisfactory collective agreement?

Get it done now!

I see a Lockout … comming I hope not…

Tom:

I hope not too.
   I don't usually agree with any doom and gloom predictions..... but in this case I do.
   The CFL would suffer irrepairable damage if the players are locked out and the season is affected.
   I sure hope the owners are not that disconnected from the fans.

I like hear from Is Scott Mitchel or Bob what is going on …
I am very worried and I Want to there is going to be Season in 2010

I have Spent 7 Months with Out my CFL Fix…
I really don’t want it to have wait a year for CFL Fooball
I have feeling if They Lock the players out the season will be wash…

There’s no point in them saying anything, it will be about as deep as when Cohn said ‘we understand the importance of Canadians in the CFL’

No new information will be revealed by them.

Where’s Marty york when we need him? lol

and the motivation for ROGERs to do that, rcon, is…

I don’t really want to buy into the conspiracy (although it’s often hard not to) but isn’t Rogers one of the biggest forces behind trying to get a full time NFL team to Toronto? And don’t they see the “minor league” Argos as an impedance to those goals? So I guess the implication is that they’re using the journalistic prowess of one of their authors to write absurdly negative fantasies in order to discredit the league in general and the Argos in

I’ve been looking, but so far, none of the other news outlets have said anything recently about a potential work stoppage, except perhaps through links to Lefko’s article on some columnists’ blogs. The only other recent article I’ve found with regards to the current CBA negotiations is an article in the Winnipeg Free Press by Doug Brown advocating guaranteed contracts. But there is no suggestion that this could lead to a strike or a lockout.

Glen Suitor twittered that he had talked to Mark Cohon. Cohon confirmed to him that both sides are still in talks which contradicts Lefko’s report and fear mongering. Big surprise.

Well that's hopeful. . .

I don't know why people bash lefco? Yes there are lots of folks who work at sportsnet who hate the cfl and cant stand it but lefko is not one of those guys, he's just doing his job which is to create drama and twist the facts a little bit to make the story appear more interesting than it is.

Lefko has no reason to take sides here. Its obvious that formal negotiations have stalled and it is likely that informal chitchat is going on. Lefko is correct and Cohon is speaking his usual grey language.

The same thing has happened the last 2 times that the contract has come up. There is a threat of a strike/lockout and nothing happens.

The CFL will be dead if there is a work stoppage.

It won't happen. If they are talking now, that gives them plenty of time to sort out whatever issues they have.

The only stumbling block we have heard of is the import/non-import ratio.

Understandable that some feel as you do. The CFLPA is about as "straight" as the old NHLPA under Alan Eagleson... but you saw what happened there...

This would absolutely kill the league. The CFL is not the strongest league, financially speaking, and any work stoppage would do irreparable damage.

There's no way a lockout happens. A deal will get done. The owners and players both know that a lockout/strike would be the death knell for the league.

maybe they are stalling so that fans have something to talk about during the off season?

Lefko is pretty reliable. I'd say he's pretty much on the mark. However, I do think the two sides will get a deal done in time for training camp.

Cohon is just handing out the party line.

An Argo-Cat fan

Or maybe the Players Association will continue to let the Argos Offence continue striking in their name like last season :lol: