Report: Trevor Harris to sign with Riders in free agency

Undoubtedly at this point Lewis & Lawler are the top 2 receivers. Dunbar would be behind Tim White on his own team & wasn’t the #1 target. Depending what happens with the Elks Dunbar may be that guy over there although Dhillon Mitchell was very good as a rookie.

Dunbar is only going into his 3rd year. My only point was that IMO both teams should be very happy with the signings. You’re looking at 2 teams with completely different strategies going into 2023. The Elks will be fielding a much younger team than the Bombers. The savings on Dunbar will allow them to sign a player in another area of need. Or, quite likely, bring back Walker. I would not be surprised if that happened in short order.

Point taken. I’m not overly high on Walker but perhaps he has something left in the tank.

That’s like saying that other teams recognize the Riders have a weak o-line so they won’t throw blitzes or pressure packages at them on D. Doesn’t work that way. If the Als can’t get their feces together, that’s on them.

2 Likes

Agreed.

GM not doing his job if not taking advantage of situation. MTL now has to work situation for their QB be it Fajardo for his dwindling options or Evans from Hamilton needing to get something before they have to outright release him.

That is how the business side works. Take advantage when u can

Wow. What an analysis. First you trash O’day for the last 2 months for not signing his free agents, and then you trash him for assembling a team that will ensure the Elks stay last in the West again, 1/2 game behind BC for the crossover spot. What else do you want the guy to do??

Great news about Lawler but that prolly means Dalton “Roadhouse” Schoen won’t return to the Big Blue.

I’m having problems visualizing Schoen joining the Bombers Top Group of WRs. How the hay to they fit him into the salary cap? That might be the only way Ellingson squeezes onto the Bomber roster is if Schoen walks away . . . . . and Ellingson would only be good until his next injury or until his performance drops significantly!

Maybe but he needs an NFL offer. He’s still on a rookie contract so salary isn’t an obstacle this year.

1 Like

How far is Gunslinger Trevor Harris away from being the White Kevin Glenn, playing for almost every CFL franchise? Good signing though. The guy is far more experienced and has far less heebie jeebies than Cody Fajardo. An experienced and mostly winning gunslinger who has gun and will travel. The West's version of Macleod Bethel Thompson!

Good assessment on Dunbar. I think he has better speed and elusiveness than the other two but Lewis and Lawler are better coming down with the ball in tight coverage. And that imo separates good from great receivers. Surprised Dunbar got that kind of money. Still will hurt to lose him, but Tim White would be the bigger loss.

1 Like

Schoen’s speed (4.7 in 40) is his main obstacle in garnering an NFL contract. It sure was before he went north and displayed all-star numbers.

With so many hi-lite reel catches, if Schoen can’t catch on as a 6th or 7th WR on about 10 bottom-feeder NFL teams, there’s something wrong with football. Even a practice roster WR now cashes in for around $550,000 to $750k per season , , , , only nicks you get on practice rosters is artificial turf burns and clumsy second string media folks badgering you before, during and after practices!

If Kenny is getting $255k + $305k on a 2 yr deal, Demski in for over $150k-$165k only leaves room for Schoen to take $175k tops w/ benefits for all-star, playoffs and other awards cash.

That may be but my point is that this year he is still under his rookie contract. I don’t know his numbers offhand but expect they would be something like $70-75,000 like most players including Rourke would get under their rookie contract. The Bombers already have Schoen signed cheap. The only way they will lose him this year is if he goes to the NFL, practice roster or not, which he may yet do.

2 Likes

Hate to lose Schoen to NFL practice rosters but he’s a great CFL player and enjoyed him help us. Like Streveler can’t blame him for lingering on an inactive NFL practice roster for 10 to 20 times his rookie contract value in the CFL.

Having both Kenny & Dalton under contract to the Bombers would be superlative. Big bonus is they were able to secure Chris Streveler but Streveler only needs a handful of games in order to qualify for an NFL pension so you can expect him to sniff out any NFL practice roster opportunities he can.

Schoen & Streveler are young enough to keep riding the NFL treadmill. Lawler, approaching 30 IS NOT.

Appears the major losses the bombers will suffer this year are Couture & Dejarlais (via NFL) on their o-line. Schoen is still in doubt and I’d say he’s 70/30 to enter the NFL practice roster treadmill.
Imagine the Bombers if they had Collaros, Streveler & Dru Brown tossing the pigskin to the likes of
Lawler, Schoen, Demski, Wolitarsky, Bailey, Stretch, Orange-Man, even Ellingson finishing out his career.
Almost too good to be true!

Dominique Rhymes might have something to say about all that top receiver talk. but hey, the Lions apparently don’t exist now that Rourke is gone.

Sorry but I don’t consider him in the same league as Lewis or Lawler or even Schoen. As of today I don’t think that Rhymes would command the same money as those three on the open market.

you are a bombers fan so i get it

1 Like

And you are a Lions fan so I get it.

2 Likes

i wasn’t being sassy Jon. i mean, every fan overrates their own teams players, unless they know their team sucks or is a tire fire. i see this in all sports.

1 Like

I am actually trying to be objective and think I am. For months I have been posting that I consider Lewis and Lawler to be the top two receivers in the league with Lawler #1. None of them were Bombers until yesterday (although still not official). I just threw Schoen in today as he was statistically the best receiver in the league last year. Rhymes is good but I consider him to be in the second tier of good receivers. In fact I consider Whitehead to be BC’s best receiver this year and wish he was still a Bomber, although he does get injured a lot.

1 Like

i think Whitehead is the better receiver skill-wise and faster, but Rhymes’ has the hands and goes and gets it and makes Burnham-like catches. also super durable. his numbers are right at the top with Lewis and Schoen. also, Rhymes’ numbers didn’t drop like the other BC receivers when Rourke got injured.

i’m interested to see how Lawler does this year back with a good team. they will have to spread the ball around so the stats of the whole receiving core may be more spread out.

i have a hard time making bold statements about who is best at whatever position because the team game is such a factor. different quarterbacks throwing to them and different offences, etc. i’m not big on fan eye test opinions because most fans predominantly watch and analyze their own teams players, and make judgment calls on other teams based on when their team plays them.

1 Like