Report: Ticats trade for rights to QB Bo Levi Mitchell

HAMILTON — The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have traded for the rights to quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell, according to a report from TSN’s Dave Naylor. Mitchell is set to become a free agent in February.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/14/report-ticats-trade-for-rights-to-qb-bo-levi-mitchell/
1 Like

great news clip ... so what did Hamilton give up in return for the signing rights?

1 Like

woah. still have to sign him.

1 Like

We’ll see if they can get him signed. This does at least show they aren’t happy with their current QB situation.

I personally don’t think Bo has much left in the tank so I’m not sure that signing him would be much of a help. If Hamilton plans on keeping both Evans and Bo I think I would have preferred Masoli and Evans.

1 Like

That is true. All they have right now are the exclusive rights to negotiate with Bo. But it looks good for Hamilton. I think they'll get it done.

So where will the Great Dane wind up?

1 Like

I am positive that they will and, in fact, may indeed have already signed him; they could wait for the announcement. The question. What will happen with Dane Evans? Hamilton can't keep/afford 2 QBs earning roughly $400,000 each.

Richard

2 Likes

Keeping both QB's would be out of the question. It looks like Bo - Shiltz or bust for next season.

1 Like

Well, that is pretty much it for any illusion Evans may still have of being the starter in Hamilton.

If they sign BLM, he won't be a backup and if they don't they will still look for somebody else as a starter.

1 Like

I think you're right. Bo's only 32 and that shoulder of his looked fully healed last game. Hamilton's all-in on BLM.

I would think this could be a good situation for both, Hamilton and Mitchell. With the Grey Cup being played in Hamilton again (I believe) next year, have to think the Ticats will look to add a few pieces to make another run at the Grey Cup. I'm sure Mitchell would be all in for this. Thought Sask might make a bid for him although I'd also think the Stampeders would rather see him in the East Division.

1 Like

According to 3DownNation, Dane Evans is/was set to make $455,000 in 2023. If he wants to stay in Hamilton, he will have to accept to replace the 4 and first 5 by 1 and 2 ,i.e. a salary of $125,000 rather than $455,000.

Richard

Maybe that's where Evans winds up. Saskatchewan better act quickly. Even Evans might be off the table by the time the Riders react.

1 Like

If I was Bo or his agent, what is the rush to sign with the Tiger-Cats prior to free agency? Why not wait and see what kind of offer he would receive from the Riders?

And if I were Jeremy O'Day I would be telling Bo's agent exactly that, tampering be damned.

1 Like

Dane Evans could end up with the Riders.

Richard

4 Likes

I have to be thinking Dane Evans isn't very happy right about now. At best he'll be competing for a job that was his to lose, providing this results in BLM signing. I have a sneaking suspicion that he may not be given the chance.

1 Like

I've been saying it for awhile. The TiCats were the most likely spot for Bo. AND Fajardo likely stays in Regina. Not a huge surprise. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

No no thanks. He’s not the answer, not here

Guess I have a new least favorite CFL team.

1 Like

Hear hear, we'll have no more of that talk.
Besides, Fajardo isn’t going anywhere.

1 Like

Are the riders asleep at the wheel, or do they have other plans?