Report: Riders hire Corey Mace as head coach

REGINA — It appears that the Saskatchewan Roughriders have found their new bench boss.

According to a report from TSN’s Farhan Lalji, Corey Mace has been hired as the Riders head coach.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2023/11/30/report-riders-hire-corey-mace-as-head-coach

Wow. Well, congratulations, Corey! And, congratulations Riders. Sad for my team, the Argos!

Sad to see Mace go but good that he’s getting the opportunity in Riderville.

1 Like

Congratulations Corey. Welcome to Riderville !!!

1 Like

There is a lot of upside here. This is a good hire. I just hope he doesn’t get hamstrung in his HC debut by a GM who won’t give him players or let him choose his own coaching staff. The job is hard enough without those extra obstacles.

Mace has a ton of potential, and has definitely earned his shot. I hope he makes it work.

3 Likes

Good hire, glad to see an up and comer getting a shot. It won’t have anything to do with the GM if he gets run out of town, it will be the fan base that will do it. Very little other than negativity from our green fans…so much so, I am surprised quality coaches even consider coming to Riderville any longer.

Wonder whether that gives the RRs an in on MBT IF he wants to come back to the CFL … AND … Mace’s OC wants MBT … while Mace was the DC, they were on the same team.

1 Like

Its a possibility. I’m not sure where Harris is at in his recovery. I know Pipkin re-upped. I figured Fine may be on the way out, leaving Dolegala at number 2. Who knows?

Most of that negativity is aimed at the now-former coach and at the GM, and that negativity has been thoroughly earned. Those two were the likely reason the team struggled to get an OC last year, and definitely the reason for the on-field struggles.

Mace is coming in with a clean sheet. Whether he was the first pick or the third, I have heard nothing but praise for his hiring and hope for his future.

1 Like

Looks like a good hire to me. Sure, he’s young, but this isn’t a Corey Chamblin situation where he’s been promoted without having paid his dues. He’s done good work in Toronto. He’s earned this.

I am very curious to see how the QB situation shakes out. Harris says he could have played at 75-80% health if the team had made the playoffs, so I am guessing that means he’ll be 100% for the start of 2024 training camp.

2 Likes

Agreed … the $64,000 Question is how much freedom Mace has in hiring coaches and input in players.

1 Like

Well, a condition of Maas getting the Montreal job was keeping the existing coaching staff intact. It’s not without precedent. Even Trestman took on Tim Burke at Popp’s behest when he came to Montreal. It makes sense that the GM would have some input on coaches. Decreases the likelihood of situations where a head coach just brings in his buddies regardless of whether they are the right fit for the job.

Forcing Mace to fire all the current coaches, on the other hand, would be bad optics and a garbage move by O’Day. Let Mace decide who he wants to keep.

As for players, if O’Day doesn’t give Mace a strong voice in scouting and bringing in talent, this whole thing is going to fail. The GM brings in the talent, but works closely with the head coach to make sure he’s focusing on the right areas of need. At the moment, nothing suggests that the process is amiss, so I’ll sit back and wait to see how Mace does in Regina.

3 Likes

Defensive and offensive coaches need to go…Shivers was a disaster IMO…some of the worst defense Ive seen in decades

Yeah, it can work both ways. Dinwiddie was a risk & it’s worked out fine. OTOH Claybrooks was a great hire until he wasn’t. Would Mace leave a great gig in Toronto if he didn’t have a strong say on talent? Does O’Day really want to be seen as handcuffing his new hire?

To be clear IMO both Mace & Pierce would have been good hires. Mace probably will keep some coaches but some will go. Obviously Jeffries is being replaced by Mueller & Mace will likely stay on as DC. I suspect Dickenson lands on his feet as a STC somewhere.

1 Like

Since taking over as GM, O’Day has marched the team down the standings … 13-5 to 9-5 to 6-12 & 6-12 … doesn’t indicate a likelihood for success.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree. This is a make-or-break year for O’Day. If the Riders can’t make the playoffs, at minimum, the fanbase is going to revolt.

1 Like

Mace has to allowed to pick his assistant coaches for this to work.

3 Likes

Agreed. Mace should absolutely be allowed to pick his own staff.

But one of the reasons Milanovich didn’t come was because ODay reprtedly wouldn’t let him hire who he wanted.

If ODay wouldn’t relinquish control to a proven veteran and winning coach, why would he give a rookie free rein?

https://x.com/CFL_News/status/1729821226636370316?s=20

Congrats to Cory Mace and the Riders for this great addition to the team.
He was a great DC in Calgary and proved his worth in Toronto. I am sure he now has the expertise, knowledge and talent to turn the Saskatchewan team around (Dam it). Good luck Cory (but not against the Stamps, Ha! HA!)

2 Likes

Dunk assumes that the Riders wanting “some say” in coaching staff hires means they expect the head coach to be a “yes man.” That’s a fallacious assumption. See Chris Jones in Edmonton for an example of why one guy having total control to do what he wants doesn’t always work out.

Also, Dunk’s speculation that Milanovich didn’t want to be a “yes man” is 100% that – his speculation. No sources there. It could be true, or it could be false. No way of knowing.

1 Like