Report: McLeod Bethel-Thompson to leave CFL

TORONTO — The Toronto Argonauts are set to have a new starting quarterback in 2023.

According to a report from TSN’s Farhan Lalji, McLeod Bethel-Thompson will suit up for the New Orleans Breakers of the USFL.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2023/02/22/report-mcleod-bethel-thompson-to-leave-cfl/

Well the Argos went from GC champions to Maybe Eastern Division winners to also placed, in such a very short time. My guess is that with the Argos out of the way the Ticats have a very good shot at being the Host in the GC come November.

2 Likes

Ottawa has also tooled up very well for a run at the Cup this year.

1 Like

Looks Like Bethel Thompson isnt coming back to the Argos,he,s signed with USFL New Orleans Breakers.Wouldn,t surprise me at all if Dane Evans ends up with the Argos.Maybe the Cats can work out a trade.

They’re not exactly dealing from a position of strength unfortunately . The Argos know that Dane is not in the Cats plans moving forward for this season and that eventually if nothing is worked out the Cats will have no choice but to either pay him or outright release him . At this stage of the game I would think that the Cats would probably be happy just unloading him for a low round draft pick or two at best .

3 Likes

If the Cats trade, I think they need a starting DB and a first round pick

1 Like

They’ll never get it . They’ll be lucky to get a low end draft pick or possibly two at best .

Argos traded their 1st round pick for Jordan Williams. They have a 2nd & 3rd round pick whereas the TiCats don’t. I would expect the TiCats get back their 3rd rounder they gave up for Mitchell to move Evans. No one else is going to give them anything for Evans & they can’t keep him unless they sign him for a lowball offer. Unlikely - Evans knows now that he can make more money with the Argos. That bird has flown. Any renegotiation can be refused by Evans.

Well no matter what happens with Evans I hope they don't give him to the arblows.. I doubt it is financially possible or if he even wants to stay in Hamilton but this is one cat fan that would actually like to see him stay... You never know about injuries and I like Schiltz too but 3 quarterbacks is better than 2..Also why help toronto in any way shape or form!!!

2 Likes

This kind of took me by surprise McLeod Leaving the Argos, maybe my head was in the sand, I thought he was more likely retire,

2 Likes

Nope it would appear that the Geico Caveman has delusions of grandeur that at the age of 35 somehow he will magically get signed in the NFL after balling out in the USFL . Good luck to him because he’s going to need it .

2 Likes

Farhan Lalji and Dave Naylor breakdown MBT's decsion.

Why did Bethel-Thompson decide to leave the Argos for the USFL? (tsn.ca)

The Breakers will play in the Birmingham Hub which is not far off from Atlanta where is wife would go into work from time to time. Nothing to do with money

Also, NFL possible window should he latch on. No team was going to give him up front money during training camp last year.....I guess one in million is still a chance?...cue the Dumb and Dumber reference :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He's going to the USFL because no CFL teams were even interested in him, simple as that.

2 Likes

A few weeks ago he said if we we’re to return to the CFL it would only be with the Argos so it wouldn’t have made any sense for any of the other 8 teams anyways.

4 Likes

Evans is a good qb but has zero trade value due to the cats cap situation

As soon as Bo signed, evans, trade value dropped to a second round pic

Evans trade value was generated by his performance last year.

2 Likes

2nd round pick? YES PLEASE!

Not required by the time the season starts they have to rid themselves of that contract. Wait and get him for nothing.

LOL that is not going to happen

2 Likes

When the Toronto Argonauts won the Eastern Final over the Montreal Alouettes at home last November it was due in large part to McLeod Bethel-Thompson conquering a stage he had yet been able to master.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2023/02/22/ferguson-mbts-departure-creates-questions/
1 Like