Report: Khari to be named OC

[url=http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2010/12/11/lefko_oncfl/]http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/20 ... fko_oncfl/[/url]

BY PERRY LEFKO
sportsnet.ca

Look for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to name Khari Jones as its new offensive coordinator some time in the next two weeks, Sportsnet.ca has learned.

Jones worked as the Cats' quarterbacks coach last year and may keep that portfolio as part of his new role.

There is an opening for the offensive coordinator's role following the departure of Mike Gibson, who is expected to join the Calgary Stampeders' coaching staff in some offensive capacity, most likely running backs coach.

The Ticats' coaching staff may undergo further changes, pending the status of defensive coordinator Greg Marshall, who has interviewed for the Saskatchewan Roughriders' head coaching job.

There have been suggestions he may leave the Ticats, who have yet to offer him a new contract, to take the vacant defensive coordinator's role in Winnipeg.

The Ticats have an interest in Richie Hall, who along with Doug Berry, are the top candidates to land the Roughriders' head coaching job.

Hall and Ticats' head coach Marcel Bellefeuille have worked together previously in Saskatchewan.

At this point in time I am not confident Jones is qualified for the job. I realize Gibson was was the architech behind the offensive scheme and Jones was just responsible for the quarterbacks. I have a problem with Jones and his leadership and coaching skills related to Quinton Porter and his lack of development. I put that one squarely on Jones with the assistance of Marcel. I beleive this team will not move forward untill they have a solid balanced attack. Perhaps things will change since Buratto is seaking employment down south. If you can prevent quarterback sacks - there is not logical reason why the front four can not block for the run.

If Jones is the new OC - I certainly hope he can remember to run the rock with some other than our man Mr. Cobb. I would personally like someone equally compaired to Boyd - Coburn or Robertson. This team will not be successful until they develope a smash mouth run them over game plan. Once you have a quality running back who is a threat each time he handles the ball - everything else developes nicely.

With all due respect, I think you’re putting way too much on Jones way too early.

Firstly, Porter is as good as his god given talent allows him to be, and secondly, that talent can only blossom with the appropriate amount of reps and experience. IMO, then, and only then, does coaching come into play. It’s not easy to develop a second QB when you have a bona fide starter trying to win for you.

if Jones is the new OC - I certainly hope he can remember to run the rock with some other than our man Mr. Cobb. I would personally like someone equally compaired to Boyd - Coburn or Robertson. This team will not be successful until they develope a smash mouth run them over game plan. Once you have a quality running back who is a threat each time he handles the ball - everything else developes nicely
Keeping in mind of course that coaches (Jones included) can only work with the personnel that Obie gives them. It's Obie's job to find the next Boyd or Cobourne, no? Those are special RBs for sure, and not that easy to come by.

BTW, as frustrating as Cobb was to watch at times, I’m still not convinced that he can’t do the job. For a team that supposedly had run problems he still managed to rush for over 1,173 yards.

I like it. Give him a chance..go outside of the box, and not just recycle another CFL OC.

Calgary just did it, now Hamilton's doing it... some new young blood in the CFL coaching ranks

Khari's done a brilliant job coaching the QB's, and if i'm not mistaken he did well calling some of his own plays back in his playing days.I have the utmost of faith in his abilities and I think he'll be one of the next top HC candidates in the coming years.

I agree, and have confidence in Khari's ability to do the job very well.

I dont trust Lefko, so i'll wait until an official announcement has been made.

To give up on Cobb or Porter at this point would be a Maple laffs type of mistake.

Thigpen at Scat Back, Cobb at FB, Porter in play action/option Offence.

Truer words rarely spoken. Very well said indeed!

Kirk - Your right about the talent part. Obie has not brought in a suitable repalcement for Cobb. This is similar to Palardy and his kicking problems and the length of time to replace him with Wilbur. Just so you are aware the Tiger Cats have not had a bonified running back since Troy Davis. Our Mr. Cobb in my opinion is not the answer. A tentative - slow to react running back should have been sent packing. Unfortunately, the coaching staff did feel the need to challenge him at Training Camp. Way too many of the stupid looking Cobb hats at Tiger Town to sell I guess.

As far a Quinton Porter situation, I beleive a good quality coach or coaches can "coach him up" to a degree of success. The scout team and second team playing time will assisst with his developement. Other teams find them and developement QB's so there is no reason why the Tiger Cats can not do the same thing. One of Quintons problems the previous year 2009 was Marcels inability to judge his talent. Let's think the possitive and hope Obie brings in the neccessary talent to take this team forward. I beleive Cobb should be the first one to be cut.

As Chris Shultz sais today on the TSN, NFL game day review " a thousand yards from a running back does not amount to much if you fumble the ball away on a regular and consistent basis.

Khari has served a short apprenticeship

Two years here as a QB coach so Marcel is quite obviously aware
of his work habits and his ability to communicate with the players.

He is obviously well schooled in current day CFL offences,
from his many years playing quarterback in this league.

I wouldn't mind if he was given the job but...if Danny Barrett
was available I might change my mind but it's Marcel's choice.

P.S.

If Greg Marshall moves on, though, I would pick our own d-backs coach
Brad Miller as the Defensive Co-ordinator because he knows the players

and he has had 10 years CFL experience and a lot of NFL experience.

Hmmmm, two inexperienced coordinators - not so sure about that

X2

I like Khari but think too early to give him an OC Job
I we need an Experienced OC

This another Reseason I see less wins in 2011

Are you implying that Cobb fumbled the ball more often than other running backs in the league? Have you looked at the stats? Four fumbles on 227 carries. The only backs who fumbled significantly less than Cobb were Reynolds (1 on 217 carries) and Whitlock (0 on 118 carries). The rest all seem to be around the same, except Cornish who fumbled around the same number of times on a lot fewer carries.

http://www.ticats.ca/statistics/league/stat/Rushing/year/2010

Fumbling too often is not one of Cobb’s problems, in my opinion. Not dropping his shoulder to make his own holes when the line hasn’t opened one up, not driving forward on short yardage plays, dancing to try to get around a lone defender instead of choosing a lane and plowing ahead - I would agree that those are things he needs to correct. Actually, looking at that list, it looks like just one problem - his hesitation looking for the perfect hole instead of just going for it. And as Churchill once said, “Perfection is spelled P-A-R-A-L-Y-S-I-S.”

So, let’s get some competition in at the running back position. But don’t be surprised if Cobb still wins out as our primary back. I wouldn’t mind that, especially if they also brought in (and actually used) a true fullback. Cobb ain’t that - never claimed to be - so why they insist on using him that way is beyond me.

Tom: The Caretaker can’t afford fewer wins in 2011 and has promised we will do better. This team needs to improve markedly next season.
That’s why I see the hiring of an Assistant GM as a major move.
Whoever it is will likely decide on the coaching changes, given the reports we have seen on this.
I think Khari would be OK as an OC but I am not sure Brad Miller is experienced enough yet to be a DC if Greg Marshall leaves. Richie Hall would be my choice.
Only thing is…where does Marshall go? Sask as Head Coach, competing with Richie for the job? Winnipeg as DC leaving Richie a good chance to still go to Sask? Is Marcel’s job safe?
If either Joe Womack or Greg Mohns end up as Assistant GM, maybe they have other candidates waiting in the wings.
Mid-January should tell the tale. But no matter what happens, the coaching choices will be crucial. The Caretaker has set his sights high for 2011.

I agree with you

We never know what magic chemistry will all of a sudden work brilliantly despite everyone's doubts.....see: Marc Trestman, Frank Kush, Chuck Ealey etc.

Each season is a new journey and anything can happen (and usually does)

Good luck to Khari no matter what position he fills. :cowboy:

The Caretaker et al went with an inexperienced coach once before (see Greg Marshal the first) and admitted his mistake. The team can not afford to make the same mistake again. We need experienced leaders with a proven track record

The Caretaker et al went with an inexperienced coach once before (see Greg Marshal the first) and admitted his mistake. The team can not afford to make the same mistake again. We need experienced leaders with a proven track record
9-8-1 and a playoff berth in that first year .......not bad ! :cowboy:

In actual fact, I think the biggest mistake was to listen the everyone and firing Greg Marshall and his staff so quickly.

The lack of patience and bowing to fan pressure has hurt us ever since…just now are we beginning to recover a bit from all that crazy turnover.