Report: DL Shawn Oakman to sign with Elks

TORONTO — Shawn Oakman may have found his next CFL home, in Edmonton.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2024/07/03/report-dl-shawn-oakman-to-sign-with-elks
2 Likes

Was just wondering where he’d land. I guess Jones finally realized that trading away one of his best pass-rushers for yet another receiver was a bad move?

1 Like

Probably more that Alfano went down against BC. No reports so don’t know if he’s on the 6 game.
Edmonton has 8 sacks on the season, tied with BC and Toronto, 2 behind league leader Montreal.
Quite likely Jones knows Oakman from his time in Toronto.

3 Likes

That’s fair, though defensive productivity is about more than sacks. I still think the Ceresna-Gittens trade wasn’t great for Edmonton but Oakman will certainly improve their pass rush.

3 Likes

Ceresna’s numbers were good, but with notoriety, comes film study, and his numbers haven’t been spectacular since.
The Gittens deal was more about getting MBT a guy h had chemistry with. Funny though, because Dillon Mittchell is catching the ball more often and putting up more yards.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say 8 DT, 2 sacks, and 1 FF in 3 GP are bad at all.

I totally get Jones wanting to get his starting pivot going by any means necessary. But yeah, it’s Mitchell catching the ball right now. It is so weird to see Geno Lewis basically spinning his wheels in Edmonton this year. You have to think he’s due for a monster game at some point.

3 Likes

Thats about getting the other guys going so Gino isn’t the guy they automatically double cover…

Shouldn’t be hard. Once MBT has chemistry with Cobb there will be a shift in teams attention. I think he’s only played one game so far but the guy is like a vaccumm cleaner - if the ball is anywhere near close he sucks it up.

3 Likes

Any way you look at the trade, this was a good pickup. The way I see it you basically end up with Gittens & Oakman for Ceresna. Ceresna made Oakman expendable. :grinning:

It is though, a bit odd it happened the day before the Shawn Lemon suspension was announced.

But like I said, if Alfano is hurt, we need someone, either as backup or to play.
And at 6’9" QB’s gotta throw over or around him.

2 Likes

I don’t see how Oakman had anything to do with the trade.

I also think Edmonton got hosed on the trade. Their best defensive player for a middle of the pack receiver. You can bet the trade would never have been made but for the silly ratio rules.

2 Likes

Jones might be able to pry loose a key player or high draft pick for Geno Lewis - from Winnipeg.
Winnipeg’s WR core has been shaken to the bone. Training camp backfill now dressed as starters.
Of course, the Winnipeg autocracy might want to just ride out this year as anomaly and get set for 2025 by rebuilding portions of the roster.
Elks won’t get a huge offer for ageing Geno Lewis. Perhaps Johnny Augustine and a 2nd round pick, maybe a bit more. Lewis might just be a few games from the glue factory!

1 Like

Oakman had nothing to do with the trade. I’m only saying that in the end Oakman is a DT that ended up in Edmonton to take the spot Ceresna held & may not have been available had Ceresna not gone the other way. Ceresna took Oakman’s spot in the rotation in TO, Oakman takes Ceresna’s spot in the rotation in Edmonton.

I initially believed the Elks got hosed as well though if you read most comments by the beat guys, it was almost unanimous the other way. IMO it was a good deal for both teams. Ceresna is on pace for a good season.

Gittens @ 24, in his 3rd season, had over 1100 yds receiving that year. Demski, @ 24, in his 3rd year, had less than 1,000 yds TOTAL over his 1st 3 years in the league. Give some credit where it’s due, Jon. :grinning:

1 Like

Ceresna was on pace for a good season. We will see how bad his shoulder is next week.

Ceresna may have wanted out too, we never heard any of that part of things, but from what was said by both sides I am guessing that may have been the case.

1 Like

Elks gave up far too much rushing yards against Lions, Argos. So the oak tree could help the DL

1 Like

Moncrief had a bad season with the Riders but they had him playing DB. He could help out @ SAM but I really like what O’Neal has done there.

1 Like

O’Neil is a rookie with 21 tackles and 1 ST tackle in 4 games. I think he’s playing very well.
Moncrief was here when Jones was brought back and was not offered a contract, thats why he was in Saskatchewan. I doubt he will ever play for a Jones coached team. (but maybe Shivers wanted him)

Yes to too many yards vs Toronto, no to too man yards vs. BC. Edmonton had more rushing yards than BC did, with our starting Defensive end on the limp a good part of the game.

Since its a bye week we don’t know the extent of DE Alfano’s injuries, I think we can assume that Oakman is here to cover that position, or add to the d-line rotation so they can moce someone else to DE.

2 Likes

And there we go, Alfano missed practice Wednesday for a knee problem.