Report: Chris Jones returns to CFL with Argos

TORONTO — The Toronto Argonauts have hired Chris Jones as a defensive consultant, the team announced on Tuesday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/09/21/argos-hire-chris-jones-defensive-consultant/

Does anyone know if Chris Jones was cut loose by the Cleveland Browns ?

If I'm Dinwiddie I'm sleeping with one eye open.

3 Likes

Has there ever been a position of 'Defensive Consultant' before?

As Bell and Young are on leave they're still getting paid. Is this a creative way around the ops cap?

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing about the ops cap. Perhaps the Argos will just break it and worry about the fines later.

1 Like

Are they getting paid?

1 Like

Naylor mentions in the video from the below article that they are on a paid leave.

Chris Jones CFL Toronto Argonauts - TSN.ca

Not sure if it's full pay

1 Like

That link says nothing about them being paid or not.

1 Like

It’s in one of the videos in the link.

The one titled ‘How did we get to the point where the Argos needed a new coach?’. From there it’s mentioned in the 30 second mark

1 Like

There is a cap for coaches in the CFL and word is that both Young and Bell will have their salaries honoured

2 Likes

Ah, thank for that. :+1:

2 Likes

Yes he was an assistant under the D coach and was cut loose by the Browns.

2 Likes

Love him or hate him, Chris Jones knows the defensive side of the game like few others. If it wasn't TO then some other team would nab him.

3 Likes

:eyes: :eyes:

2 Likes

It would appear the Argos are playing games with the coaches cap.

1 Like

I’m sure there is a ‘Chris Jones’ option in there too :smiley:

1 Like

Yup . The first time he sees a shinier new object he’ll be packing his bags and on the first train out of town .

1 Like

Dinwiddie needs to watch his back. Jones isn't coming back to be a longtime consultant or coordinator.

1 Like