Report: Cats could leave Hamilton

I already am! :cry: :cry:

If this is true, and the publication of a letter from Bob Young to the Mayor certainly suggests that it is, then I will cease to be a fan of the team in its new guise in Quebec City, and will no longer be much interested to follow the CFL.

I hope this proves to be a negotiating tactic in advance of the council vote on location. But I am saddened to think it is in fact serious and that there will no longer be a Hamilton Tiger-Cats football team.

Anyone who can't see this was in place a long time ago is silly. What is saying the Cat's haven't had this in place for a long time and can come out looking like good guys by blaming the city. This just didn't happen today or last week. The way things have played out its beginning to look pretty obvious that they never had any intention of staying here.

Our guess our only hope is that this is some sort of plan to force the councilors into accepting the east mountain site?
I still can't believe what im reading.

Boycott the City

even if this is just negotiating tactics it still sucks for the city, the fans, the cats and really for the mayor. The cats are going to lose a lot of business because of this, and the mayor hopefully wont get reelected.

I'll wait till after the vote to boycott, how long until people start burning their Ti-cat gear and posting it on youtube? :lol:

The vote doesn’t matter.They’re leaving regardless, didn’t you read the letter?

I rather boycott the city and not spend one cent downtown ever again!

well I really hope you know that’s not true…
Its possible that they have been talking for a wile, but I don’t think they wanted to just bolt. If they wanted lo leave why not just leave?

[url=http://www.goeastmountain.com/2010/08/09/letter-from-bob-young/]http://www.goeastmountain.com/2010/08/0 ... bob-young/[/url]

I skimmed it, but I think its a bluff.

Not if we get an east mountain site.

Letter from Bob Young

Mayor Fred Eisenberger
City of Hamilton
and Members of Council

August 9, 2010

Dear Fred,

It saddens me to advise you that the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club is withdrawing from any further discussions and negotiations pertaining to the siting of the Pan Am Stadium in Hamilton.

It is painfully apparent, despite the best efforts of our facilitator, Michael Fenn, the plethora of information from stadium experts, and our own financial submissions, that you remain fixated on the West Harbour Stadium and without a strong political champion in Hamilton, it is impossible to continue our efforts with respect to the East Mountain proposal.

The need to replace Ivor Wynne Stadium played an integral part in the Pan-Am bid process, and undoubtedly we would not be debating this great opportunity were it not for the history and presence of this great franchise. Legacy in the form of an anchor tenant and a business case were part of the criteria that was generally accepted when the Pan Games Stadium was proposed for Hamilton. Simply put, the facility would have to be “sustainable? with an anchor tenant to justify federal and provincial taxpayer’s money.

You know that the Tiger-Cats have invested more than $30 million into this team and community over the course of the past seven years. We were vitally interested in being part of a stadium solution to replace Ivor Wynne.

Our facilitator, Mr. Fenn, understood these requirements when he advanced the compromise site on the East Mountain. This site was not our first choice. The most sensible location for a new stadium is on a small part of Confederation Park. The highway visibility would have brought the Tiger-Cats to a breakeven situation. The real development potential within the precinct would have brought jobs and real economic value to the City.

For reasons unknown to us, and the general public, this site was never an option.

Inherent in our proposal was the opportunity to work with senior levels of government to build something at the West Harbour that would be consistent with the planning principles contained in your planning document, Setting Sail.

In my view, this would have been a “win-win? situation. We believe that option was made available but has now been squandered.

As the most recent owner of the Tiger-Cats, I have always believed that my primary responsibility to the organization, the fans and to the memory of my family, who I have honoured with this ownership, was to ensure that the team would remain sustainable moving forward. By that, I mean, ECONOMICALLY sustainable.

The West Harbour option which you personally have driven gives the Tiger-Cats no hope of running a sustainable business. Using “best practice? criteria, and confirmed by leading experts around North America, this proposed stadium would rank dead last in North America in terms of usability for its tenants. It imposes a logistical nightmare for fans, particularly the “regional fans? that Mr. Fenn describes as vital to our survival.

As such, I cannot be part of a process that destines us to financial failure before the first shovel goes in the ground.

As owner of the Tiger-Cats, I cannot and will not be party to such an ill-advised concept.

I regret that over the course of the past year, you have not been sensitive to our concerns as your tenant. My major regret is the harsh reality that after next year, there will be no home for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the City where we shared so much success and positive experiences together. We note that even in the city’s own report, that without a tenant you are well beyond $60 million dollars short of building a 25,000 seat facility.

We will play out our days at Ivor Wynne.

I know this letter will be a disappointment to our thousands of fans, particularly those who share our dream as it pertains to a new, sustainable, legacy stadium. We thank them for their continued support and look forward to seeing them at Ivor Wynne Stadium for another great Labour Day Classic against the Argonauts on September 6th.

Sincerely,

Mr. Robert (Bob) Young

I may have bought my last Tiger-Cats ticket regardless. If they move, we can lay blame on many people including the city and club. If they don’t leave, I don’t think I can support the ownership for having used this tactic. Its almost like telling someone their mother died in a car crash and then saying, ‘just kidding’…

Agreed and bye bye CFL as well. Don't think Mark Cohon has something to do with this.

This isn't just a ploy to get Council to go for the East Mountain site. It's a ploy to get them or other levels of government to pick up the extra price tag. They had 2 options today: Turn the ball over and hope the other team doesn't score, or go for a Hail Mary pass to win the whole thing.

At the very least if Bob is leaving, he should wait for the vote to actually occur.

Read the letter.He said he’s pulling out of negotiations and regardless of the vote it doesn’t make financial sense to remain here.

If this is true then they certainly won't be counting my season ticket money or any more of my money in merchandise. I am disgusted with all parties involved and think the timing of this "leaK" is just a little too convenient. Mr. Young has said time and again that he had no plans to move the team. Apparently that was a lie. I will leave it at that as I may type something I regret if I continue on.