Replays that should be evaluated at end of season

Yup!

The league needs to make a rule that no review lasts longer than x number of seconds, after that it’s the on-field call. And I’d say 45 seconds.

Didn’t he challenge RTP? And that can only be called when the QB is behind the LoS. Or am I missing something on this challenge.

He was fishing. It was a stupid challenge but he said F it and just did it…because why not…coaches go fishing on this garbage a fair bit. Not saying that is good…but it is the way things have evolved

The guys calling the play by play mentioned the same thing that RedandWhite posted, as I was listening and heard it said as well.

You never give up as a coach and you have a mandate to use the rules as you best can to help your team to win. Them's the rules of a coach I'd say. We're not talking golf here, a gentleman's game where you are supposed to tell everyone you should be penalized. Not that way most other sports work.

Right on - we don’t blame rightfully the coach or players for playing by the rules when the rules come up short or with adverse consequences. We blame those who made the rules and apparently overlooked the unintended consequences. The onus is on those who make the rules to make changes now and not necessarily to wait until after the season.

I for one am far from the only fan who does not want to see extended reviews every 4th quarter so as to overturn key calls given video evidence that is not 100% indisputable so as to overturn the call on the field. :?

And I don’t think the CFL can afford more poor and inconsistent officiating such as in that 4th quarter of that game in Regina if it wants to grow its fan base.

Agreed. Jones challenge for a RTP on a QB running the ball well past the LoS was moronic and does nothing but harm the game, however, that’s not Jones fault. You do everything you can within the rules (and often try outside the rules without getting caught) to get the win. This is squarely on the league. They knew this was a problem last season when they paid lip service to the problem mid season. The fact they’ve done nothing to curtail this type of challenge means they don’t care. I don’t know why, but clearly they don’t care that coaches are fishing or that video review is harming the game. As long as the lemmings keep buying tickets who cares.

Maybe Toronto fans lack of interest is the smarter move than Ottawa and Saskatchewan where they blindly throw their money away on a product that gets worse every season with no effort from the league to make any positive changes.

Most evaluations would not be those plays listed above or big plays that will continue to hurt you/teams.

Week 1/2 had a lot of small pass interference/ holding calls or late hits on QB very questionable. Note : I love to see the QB creamed. Especially the high priced ones.
These make the real game. The big plays are reviewed and MUST show conclusive proof of an over turn decision. I totally trust control center as great people with huge experience.
Referee’s game calls are very fast like NHL. Decision are made from a difficult view in 1/4 second.
I trust them all. :rockin: :rockin: Who can do better!!!

[b]dcmoses wrote:[/b] Maybe Toronto fans lack of interest is the smarter move than Ottawa and Saskatchewan where they blindly throw their money away on a product that gets worse every season with no effort from the league to make any positive changes.
Translation - you're jealous of the support that teams like Ottawa and Saskatchewan receive. :wink:

You really need a translation? OK Captain Ambiguous, why support a league that’s deliberately killing the game. Video review is slowly killing the entertainment value of the CFL. It’s the reason I don’t watch every game anymore and the reason I rarely record games when I’m not home to watch.

Been a fan for over 40 years and have only missed watching 1 Grey Cup, last years. Purposely. And I’m seeing a slight improvement in play and on field officiating, but a huge drop in the quality of video review. Not making me want to come back when there are other sports to watch.

On field crews are, so far, doing a decent job this season, but video review has done far more harm than good. Video review with slo mo, still frame, multiple looks and angle should be right 99% of the time; they are even close to 50-50.

You really need a translation? OK Captain Ambiguous, why support a league that's deliberately killing the game. Video review is slowly killing the entertainment value of the CFL. It's the reason I don't watch every game anymore and the reason I rarely record games when I'm not home to watch.

Been a fan for over 40 years and have only missed watching 1 Grey Cup, last years. Purposely. And I’m seeing a slight improvement in play and on field officiating, but a huge drop in the quality of video review. Not making me want to come back when there are other sports to watch.

To each his own dcmoses. I don’t find the video review detracting at all from my enjoyment of the games as I need washroom breaks and stretching etc. Sort of like between innings of a baseball game, lots of stoppages of play with these half inning breaks but it’s not video review so I guess that doesn’t count. If you want to find an excuse not to like something, it’s usually very easy to find an excuse. :smiley:

Well said. I’d say they are closer to 70%. other 20% they CAN"T over turn. 10% ???

I’m counting the inconclusive as correct calls. Just because the video is not conclusive enough to overturn/support the call on the field doesn’t make it wrong. If the video does not conclusively show what happened then inconclusive is the correct call. We rarely know this though because it is never reported. I think they should have to report whether the call was supported, overturned or video inconclusive after the review.

I don’t watch baseball and that’s one of the reasons; game is too slow and dull for me. I watch hockey, rugby, Aussie rules, lacrosse and CFL. CFL is starting to get to be a frustrating watch for me, especially this season where we have had a better start (in quality of games) than we’ve had in a long time but it’s being ruined by a blind moron in a video control room.

Look, lets' give the video review the benefit of the doubt, they are working to speed it up which I agree is simply a good thing but it will take some more thought and tinkering.

But that said, is video review something not needed at all in any pro sport presentation? I think that is an excellent question. Of course the CFL has to sort of follow along in some manner with what the NFL does, basically same sport, for fear it will look mickey mouse if it doesn't, for no other reason. Not what's right or what's best but sort of a need to be in the NFL's shoes so to speak to "belong".

I think it’s more a need to be contemporary. MLB, NFL, NHL, NLL and even some NCAA sports have video review (not an NBA fan so don’t know about them) so it would be more than a little ridiculous for the CFL to be the only league to say no to technology.

I agree it is a good thing when the call is black and white and it corrects a call missed ( on field officials are human and will miss calls that they must make at full speed with only one look), but the CFL and some other league have started to take it into territories it should never have gone; reviewing a judgement call by an on field official. PI, RTP, Illegal Contact on a Receiver should not be reviewable and these are the calls that take the most time and are most often challenged when a coach wants to go fishing for a call.

Scale back to calls that are black and white (was it a score, in/out of bounds, legal catch and fumbles) and either remove the coaches challenge or stop the automatic review of scoring plays. That’s why coaches go fishing, the league reviews scoring plays so they don’t have to waste a challenge there allowing them to save them as extra long timeouts. Automatic review or coaches challenge, one or the other but not both. Last, fire the idiot currently reviewing for the league because he is blind, stupid or both.

I have to agree scaling back as you say might be the way to proceed.