Repeat after me

The technicolour posts prove that all CFL fans will NOT call it a touchback. :slight_smile:

FYB, I think because this situation has no name in the CFL, it's just easier to call it a touchback, instead of stringing together a bunch of words.

It doesn't mean they're NFL-loving fanatics. Some people do watch and enjoy both leagues (myself included - I'm a football fan first) and therefore terminology from one may overlap into another, to make it easier.

IMO, it shows a marginal level of laziness and ignorance.

But hey, go crazy. Whatever floats your boat.

So in regular conversation, what would you call it?

Do you mean the Canadian "equivalent" of a touchback?

If so, there's a huge distinction.

If it's kicked out of the endzone, it's a rouge or a single.

If it's fumbled out of bounds in the endzone then it's spotted just like any other fumble that goes out of bounds. I would call it "a fumble out of bounds", I guess.

What else would you call a fumble out of bounds? Is there a term for that? I don't think there is.

Is that what you're asking?

I hate to say this but when I was a kid in the early 60's playing street football in Hamilton we used the term 'touchback' and I believe I can remember radio commentators of the day using the term.

Heck, as a kid I didn't follow the NFL at all and neither did any of my friends. These were the days when parity between the leagues wasn't anywhere near as far off as it is today.

So, it's not an official term and using it probably muddies the waters. As an unofficial term it's been around for quite a while.

I’m really glad I went to bed at this point.

When I referred to the “Canadian equivalent of a touchback”, I didn’t mean a kick situation since a point is scored, making it not “equivalent”. Plus that already has a name.
I would refer to it as an interception or fumble recovery that doesn’t come out of the end zone, or a field goal attempt that hits the uprights and stays out, as those all result in the defence scrimmaging on the 25 with no points score. Equivalent to a touchback with the exception of the yard line.
Since that doesn’t have a name in the CFL, I don’t have a problem with someone calling it a touchback. I probably wouldn’t myself, but I wouldn’t criticize someone for doing it.

I prefer

LACES OUT!!!!!!!
LACES OUT!!!!!!!!
LACES OUT!!!!!!!!
LACES OUT!!!!!!!!
LACES OUT!!!!!!!!
LACES OUT!!!!!!!!
LACES OUT!!!!!!!!
LACES OUT!!!!!!!!
LACES OUT!!!!!!!!
LACES OUT!!!!!!!!

Touchback is a Rugby term that pre-dates CFL and NFL, and is used any time an official places the ball on a determined spot after play went "out of touch".

And the CFL (older then the NFL) evolved out of rugby.

Not to muddy things too much by going (slightly) off topic, But (and this is a big but):

There is no Free Safety!

There is no Free Safety!

There is no Free Safety!

In the CFL we call the guy in the middle the "Middle Safety" and always have.

The term "Free Safety" comes to us, I believe straight from the NFL to describe the DB who plays on the opposite side of the ball than the "Tight End". The other DB, in eleven man football, on the same side of the ball as the "Tight End", is referred to as the "Strong Safety". (There is no guy in the middle). To be consistent, if one were to use the NFL lingo in this regard, we should also have a "Strong Safety" as well as a "Free Safety". Thankfully we don't bow to the NFL "gods".

This, plus some loose change, will still buy you a coffee.

yeah. I was already half asleep when I posted that. I knew it wasnt the best way to make my point, but was too tired to think of anything better , sigh

That is so cool.

I love the history of the game and it’s ties to rugby,

In the book it's simply called a "dead ball" no score

if anyone is still confused, read this

http://www.answers.com/topic/touchback

I like this part:

In Canadian football, the failure to advance a kicked ball out of the goal area results in a single point being scored by the kickers, as well as possession by the receivers at their 35-yard line. A turn-over by fumble or interception in the defense's goal area results in a scrimmage on the 25-yard line with no points awarded. In the Canadian game the term touchback is not used.