THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK

If you intercept the ball in the endzone, you are not obligated to run it out. You can take a knee, and no it's not a single point or a safety. What do you call that?

This is the CFL

THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK
THERE IS NO TOUCHBACK

a turnover

Right. And where does the offense scrimmage from? Follow me on this one...

sigh.....

Yes FYB, we don't technically call it a touchback here.
But it's the equivalent of a touchback, and it's just easier to say (and type) rather than repeating the phrase "defence gets the ball on their own 25" as the discussion goes on ad nauseum.

I am with you on this. When a change of possesion occurs via fumble recovery or interception in the endzone, it is as Higgens said in his release. However, we do not call it a touchback.

But would we call it a touchback if we never heard of the NFL..

See where I am going with this....

Well, we should. :lol: :lol: :lol: . I call it a touchback and I'm going to call it a touchback for the rest of my life.

hmm...are you sure you are not an nfl loving bengal...huh...huh...huh...

Probably not, but here in the real world we have heard of the NFL and the phrase does exist so if somebody wants to use it to describe the same situation what's the problem?

because as an NFL expression, it does not belong in any discussion about the CFL. Just try using CFL only terminology on an NFL board and see what kind of reaction you get.

The difference: On an NFL board the people likely won't know what the terminology means. In the case of a touchback, we do.

that dont mean squat. I may know what a foreign language word means, but that dont mean it belongs in an english conversation or writing.

You said it, hombre. Using foreign words in an English conversation is such a faux pas.

Not sure what version of English you speak, but the English language is absolutely brimming with 'foreign' words.

Try these Spanish words -- recognize any?

Bronco
Cafeteria
Guerrilla
Patio

If you took the 'foreign' words out of English, there would be a big hole.

Not that it's a big deal, but I agree with FYB.

Sure it's a football board and a CFL one at that, and sure the NFL and its terms will pop up here and there.

But...all too often you see the NFL invoked here as some sort of final aurhority on things football or CFL when it is not. Especially here.

The great thing about english is that when a foreign phrase or word describes something better than an english phrase or word, the english laguage appropriates the foreign phrase or word and it becomes part of the english language.

For example, laissez-faire, eureka, alter ego, bona fide

There are no rules for this, it just happens in english and if all CFL fans call it a touchback, I bet the league will start to too. And no amount of technicolour posts will change that! :slight_smile:

this entire thread is good for comic relief if nothing else.