renovations at percival molson's in montreal???

has anyone heard anything new about the addition of 5000 seats and a jumbo-tron at montreals stadium????

last i knew, they were asking 7 million from each of the 3 levels of government ( its a $27 million project total- 6 million in private funding ) , and were gonna start renovations in 2006..

anyone know if the funding had been granted by the governments?

i think they should add 10 000 new seats, so they dont have to add more again later.

nooone knows?

I havent heard anything new.
That is prob why no-one is posting

Wait wait wait...$21 Mill combined from the City of Montreal, the Quebec provincial gov't, and the Feds? Why is this starting to have the slight pungent odor of the Argos' new stadium fiasco? (see: U of T & York) Although, in this case, they're dealing with upgrading an existing facility instead of starting anew.

Given the fact that there have been 2 recent renovations at Molson Stadium (if you include the money Wettenhall spent when the Alouettes decided to move there permanently), you have to wonder if Montreal wouldn't be better off putting money into a new small stadium instead of fixing up a facility that is about 90 years old.

Canadian Press

6/20/2005 6:24:31 PM

MONTREAL (CP) - The Montreal Alouettes are looking for $27 million, mostly from three levels of government, to complete a second phase of expansion to 90-year-old Percival Molson Stadium.

The CFL club, which has sold out 54 consecutive games at the cosy, 20,202-seat facility nestled into the side of Mount Royal on the McGill University campus, announced Monday it hopes to increase seating capacity to 25,000.

The work would include construction of a second tier of seats on the south grandstand, new seating in the east end zone and 20 corporate boxes.

Team president Larry Smith said the expansion was needed to ensure the team’s survival.

“Without having a bigger facility, you’re not going to succeed medium-term,” he said. "As well as we have our costs under control, salaries will always creep up, so you have to at least have the potential of increasing your revenues.

“When you have an average salary of $65,000 to $70,000, there’s room for growth in salaries.”

At the current average ticket price of $49, the Alouettes could earn more than $2.1 million per season from tickets alone with the expansion.

Smith hopes to raise $4 million in private funding, with the rest coming from the city, the province and the federal government.

The stadium is owned by McGill, which gave the city some access to its sports facilities in exchange for its contribution to the first phase of the project completed in 2003.

“When you don’t own the property, it’s hard to put your own money in,” said Smith, who is confident he can get government support.

“We’ve lobbied the three levels of government over the last six to eight months,” he said. “Governments recognize the work we do in the community. In three or four months, we’ll see where we stand.”

The Quebec government put up $40,000 to help pay for preliminary work on the project and municipal affairs minister Nathalie Normandeau said the expansion would help feed “the public fervour for football in Montreal.”

Michel Prescott, vice-president of the city’s executive committee, said city hall supports the project but isn’t sure yet how much it can contribute.

The three levels of government contributed $4 million each under the federal infrastructure program to the $13.3-million cost of phase one.

That work included rebuilding the crumbling grandstands and installing new washrooms, lighting and a modern press box, but only 200 new seats were added.

Using the infrastructure program this time would cost the three levels of government more than $7 million each.

“We’ll have to talk to Quebec and the federal government to see which program is used,” said Prescott.

Smith said private money was also being sought and donors would have their names inscribed on a wall. They can also get a tax deduction for contributing to a university facility.

The project includes an attractive new entrance on the east side, which faces onto another beautification project, the $25-million dismantling of an unsightly traffic interchange.

One of the popular retro features of the stadium is its old-fashioned scoreboard, which shows the time, the score and little else, but Smith said that would be replaced by a giant $2-million video screen.

The team hopes to begin construction next year and have it completed by June, 2007.

The stadium, which has a FieldTurf artificial playing surface, is approved for use in international soccer matches, but will not be a venue for the world youth soccer championships that year.

The Montreal Impact of the United Soccer League, another thriving smaller-scale sports franchise, is building a new 13,000-seat stadium with a natural grass field that is expected to be a venue for the under-20 tournament.

Molson Stadium was built in 1915 and was expanded to 26,191 seats in 1959, but then had its south side grandstand cut down when the facility was modified as the field hockey venue for the 1976 Olympics.
[/quote]

The article which is dated June 20th says, they lobbied the 3 Governments for 6 to 8 months and hope to have an answer in 3 or 4 months!
The Governments just gave them several million dollars in 2003 for the first part of renovation.

GREAT........and thanks for the info.

ive read this....good that everyone else can too.
thats y im askin if theres more recent news on this?

The article says they will know more about where they stand with the Governments in 3 or 4 months, it has been 2 Months! Nothing New!

dont u think they should be adding more than just 5 000 seats?

Yes I definitely do think they should add more seats and I'm sure they would if they could. There are Landscape issues here (you have to see it to understand). It is either impossible to add any more seats or if it is possible it would be far too costly to add up and out any more with foundation.
It is 90 years old. on one side it is built into Mont Royal and they won't wreck that view, and the other side has a beautiful skyline view of downtown Montreal and they won't block that.
One endzone is built up against a hospital and the other endzone is where they will add most of the new 5000 seats and a new scoreboard.
Plus they are adding 20 or so new luxury boxes that will be lucrative.
Montrealers already pay the highest ticket prices in the CFL by far (roughly double other CFL teams) so don't need as many people to make money.
With 25000 seats and 20 new luxury boxes the Als will make money, maybe big money. They will be able to keep there players or sign new ones.
They will be ready when they raise the salary cap in the next while.
They also play 1 or 2 games a year at the Big O and rake in the money from 100000 or so people, including playoff prices.
They will be supposedly profitable and competitive for years with 25000 seats!

BTW
Wih a 65 to 70,000 average salary anyone still say they dont respect the cap

here's a link to some pictures of the alouettes proposed expansion plan...looks nice!

have a look:

[url=http://www.montrealalouettes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1300&KEY=&ATCLID=130138]http://www.montrealalouettes.com/ViewAr ... LID=130138[/url]

I'd say that after the Als get there 5000 new seats and 20 new luxury boxes at the prices that are charged and paid in Montreal, that together with the Big O games, the strong corporate sponsorship that the Als and the CFL are getting, the TV and Radio money(which can only increase), concessions, merchandising, that Robert Wettenhall will be doing very nicely indeed.
The Als should be one of the have teams, although maybe there will be a hard cap equal for all in the future.
But I do wish that they could add more seats. Oh well, this way the Als will stay soldout and popular.

BTW Robert Wettenhall has lost millions initially in getting the Als to this point, and now deserves to make some money.

I cant wait for it to be compleated.
Maybe I will be able to get tickets

damn right!!!..i wanna see all the CFL teams profitable…i’d like them all to stay and grow this league!..a HARD-CAP is needed to keep the salaries reasonable during this growth period…i’d like to see a system similar to the new NHL agreement…a pre-determined percentage of revenues allocated toward saleries…so if revenues go up, then theres more money to be spent on players-but not b4 owners turn a profit to ensure stability in the CFL.

Well I agree with a cap but not one that is based on revenu. Richer teams will be allowed to spend more wich wil make better teams which will bring in more fans which will produce more money will will allow the to spend more----------

I think it should be an equal number for all teams

not based on each teams revenue...sorry if i wasn't as clear as could be....
but a common number for ALL teams....

say the poorest team is sask. ...then they agreed that saleries are not any higher than 60% of revenues earned by the poorest team the previous year... say sask only earns 3 million in rev's in '05 then the '06 CAP for ALL teams is $1 800 000...so all the teams in the league goes by a cap of 1.8 million.

then in '06, sask earns revenues of $4 000 000, then the '07 cap for all teams is $2.4 million

this way, with growth of the league, the players can share in the success!

some sorta common cap that has linkage to revenues is the answer

what do current teams ,generally, earn a year? any idea?
and what are typical yearly player payrolls?

That idea is pretty much what I had in mind