Rengades Name Change?

The Ottawa Citizen ran a speculative story today that the Gliebermans might entertain the idea of going back to the nameRough Riders. Personally, I think this would be a stupid idea. Football fans here are used to the Renegades, and referring to the team as the 'Gades' or the 'Rens' is a part of the team culture now. Furthermore, its just stupid to have nine team league with two teams of the same name...The name Renegades isn't a problem. It it ain't broke, why fix it?

I agree.... stupid to change the name back. I hope they don't do it.

In total agreement. Renegades nickname is fine. We need to be taking steps forward, not back.

I think if they did any market research at all they would find most fans in Ottawa (80-90%) would agree with that, as do I.
The logo is great, as is the name. "Let's go Gades" or "Go Gades Go" works great in the stands!
Gliebermans or not - bring on season 4 of the Renegades!!!!

I hate to disagree, but I think they should bring the name back. I was talking to Tony Gabriel, Gerry Organ, Wayne Tosh and many more former players during the Grey Cup week festivities, and when I asked them to sign my Rens hat, they reluctantly did, refusing to be labelled Renegades.
Don't forget, we had the name first. I've always thought that we should have some sort of "winner take all" game between our team and the green riders to decide who should get the name. That is, of course, if we change the name back.

renegades is fine with me, lets focus on putting a winning team on the field
and fixing all the other problems.

Supersmith, I respect your opinion. I was a RoughRiders fan since the late 1970's. And I was sad to see the name go. But I'm also a CFL fan, and two teams with the same name just doesn't make sense. Even SouthPark made fun of it...

I have to agree with most of the replies in here. Stick with Renegades and do not go back to the Ottawa Rough Riders. First of all Saskatchwan already has it, and i can almost guarantee you if you asked them to change there name it would spark up one of the biggest arguements of CFL's time. Second of all look at the NFL they have like a 32 team league and not a single team with the same name i mean common people can we not be creative here. All in all Ottawa stick with the Renegades and save everybody a lot of stress.

I have to agree with most of the replies in here. Stick with Renegades and do not go back to the Ottawa Rough Riders. First of all Saskatchwan already has it, and i can almost guarantee you if you asked them to change there name it would spark up one of the biggest arguements of CFL's time. Second of all look at the NFL they have like a 32 team league and not a single team with the same name i mean common people can we not be creative here. All in all Ottawa stick with the Renegades and save everybody a lot of stress.

No way having two teams with the same name is stupid! Ottawa lost the Riders now they have the Gades.

Stick with Renegades! No need to have two similar names. (I do like Supersmiths idea. One big game to claim the name!)

I liked the Rough Riders ... but they are in the past now. Don't go backwards ... this is a new, different team. The Rough Riders were a miserable team for a long, long time. Hopefully the Renegades can turn the corner ... don't do a name change. It can only be bad for business. And imagine all the mocking there would be ... leave the Rough Riders for history.
btw, I think it was a neat thing that there were two teams named Rough( )Riders. They didn't copy each other, and the names are technically different. I'm 99% sure they refer to different "roughriders" as well - Ottawa's was in reference to loggers, and Saskatchewan's was in reference to some battalion. They were in separate divisions, and probably didn't know of each other, when they came up with the names. Then the League combined, and all of a sudden there were two teams with the same name. So what? It's not bush! People only like to bash it because it gives them a chance to bash the CFL, and as I've said before, people are too willing to do that. If it was any other league, these same people would be marvelling at the history behind it! There are two teams named "Sox" in baseball, after all ... why no comments on that?

I have to agree. Move forward with the Renegades. From a marketing standpoint, especially with the younger fans, it works. In the end if the team is entertaining it doesn't really matter what the name is. And kev you are right about the two teams named "sox" even if they are different colors! Can you imagine the fight there if they required one of those teams to change!

........they're not called the 'Sox' though......they are the RedSox and the WhiteSox.....whadda ya going to called a revamped rider team.....the Rooughriders and the Smoothriders.......

lol......how 'bout the Easyriders.......

Stupid idea - the Renegades name is great!

If there is a Rough Riders team in the East, what would the new Halifax team call themselves?

EasyRiders?

I kinda like the sounds of that...NO! NO! NO! Stick with the Renegades.

The Renegades easily have my vote for best name in the CFL. I'd take Renegades over Rough Riders any day.

FYI - The Ottawa Rough Riders name is still trademarked and owned by the former owner (Horn Chen?) and the 'Gades owners would have to purchase it from him in conjunction with the League.

Everyone rallying for it is just driving up his asking price most likely.

Kahluaz

The Renegades should buy the Ottawa Rough Riders name & intellectual property back from Horn Chen. I don't care if they keep calling them the :!: Renegades as long as they put the big white R back on Ottawa's helmet and merge the record books. Let's keep the Ottawa Rough Riders history alive and stay connnected to our great history and traditions. How can we ignore the accomplishments of Tony Gabriel, Russ Jackson, Ron Stewart et al.