Renegades - RedBlacks Records

Something that has always bugged me about the whole new Ottawa team situation is that the Renegades never technically folded, rather they were just "Suspended" and are still in existence. Do the Redblacks (or whatever their name will be) inherit the 2002-2006 records of the Renegades, or will there technically be two Ottawa teams, one in a constant state of suspension?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Jeff Hunt and his group were awarded the old team as the "expansion team".

The league said "suspended" because at the time they were looking for new owners but at some point that ceased to be the case.

The current Ottawa ownership did not buy the Renegades (what was there to buy? Even the equipment was gone), they bought rights to a new franchise. Really, they seem to be doing everything to distance themselves from the Renegades, since that was the one (allowed) name that they refused to consider.

The Redblacks history as I understand it will begin with the first game of the 2014 season.
Ottawa Rough Riders
Ottawa Renegades
Ottawa Redblacks - new team - new history - new CFL

This is quite sad, as I had assumed the storied Rough Riders history/records would be included with the new Ottawa franchise.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

It might just depend where you look. I’ve seen reference to “Ottawa football”, for example, that combine the Renegades and Rough Riders.

Personally, that’s the way I’d do it.

I suppose it’s like Hamilton Tiger Cats Football - they used to talk about the record of winning the Grey Cup through the decades before 1950 but the Tiger Cats didn’t exist. They like to use the Wild Cats records and also the Tigers records and combine them.
Not sure if Montreal uses the Concordes stats.

Montreal combines the records of the original Alouettes, the Concordes, and the current Alouettes. The CFL does not recognize the records of the Tigers or Wildcats belonging to the Tiger-Cats because those teams competed against each other at one point. The Montreal franchises never did.

With that being said, I hope OSEG combines all records for Rough Riders/Renegades/Anything but Redblacks for the same reason as the Alouettes.

It may be beneficial to combine all Ottawa CFL teams records to give the city of Ottawa some pro football history to look back on when it comes to things a setting records and seasonal stats and career stats for Ottawa CFL team players.
The Renegades era may be something that many want to forget but certainly the Original Ottawa Rough Riders are a team with great CFL history so throwing the few Renegade years in there will not be of any hurt especially a decade from now.
Having things like an Ottawa CFL Hall of Fame day recognizing some of the historic greats will not include many if any Renegade players.
Separating the ownership of the Renagades and the Redblacks is one thing but CFL football in Ottawa may be something that should be connected