Remembrance Day Petition

[b]To: Government of Canada

Throughout the history of Canada, our Armed Forces have sacrificed life and limb to defend the rights and freedoms of Canadian citizens. In wars past and present, the soldiers of the Canadian Armed Forces have, without hesitation, stepped in to ensure the quality of life we enjoy today. These soldiers do so out of dedication to our country and our values, and are willing to give their lives for this cause.

Remembrance Day is not a national holiday in Canada. The laws governing this day vary from province to province. In Ontario, for instance, Remembrance Day in not a holiday and, as such, students from this province are restricted from attending services by school and adults are restricted by work. Other provinces have different laws.

To allow Canadians to show their appreciation for sacrifices made by our soldiers, and to remember those that gave their lives in defence of our country, we, the people of Canada, ask that the Government of Canada recognize this sacrifice by declaring November 11th, Remembrance Day, a national holiday.

Sincerely,[/b]

Remembrance Day Petition

sigpig you sign ?

Just finished reading the petition and had to sign

Common people, sign this petition.

Even though it is a proven fact that petitions to government bodies have little or no effect, it is important to show our support for those who have lost their loved ones through our military and to pay respect to those who have died defending our country.

GT sent it to me and I signed it. I think our heroes deserve at least that.

Signed,sealed and delivered.
Donna

There is a strong counter-argument.

For years the thought has been to PURPOSELY not declare it a national holiday.

What do people do on such holidays? They take the day off, of course.

Make it a holiday and you don't have school children celebrating the day. Make it a holiday and there isn't developed a tradition of sacrifice among the general population who are confronted with the decision of whether or not to take the time and effort to disrupt their busy schedules and spend time in remembrance. The nation is to STOP at 11.

For years I wanted it a holiday. Now I don't think so. I think that celebrating it under these conditions makes it MORE meaningful.

Mark, I know where you're coming from. You and I have taken opposite paths. I used to advocate the same arguments you put forth, but now I'm in favour of declaring the Day of Remembrance.( I don't want to have it called a "holiday", for the reasons you mention.)
I think our population has changed so much in the past few years that there is a need to highlight our past sacrifices and heroics.
As to the schoolchildren not being a part of the situation, what is wrong with having the schools invite veterans in on Nov. 10 to address the kids?

I would like to see one caveat. If Nov. 11 is declared a "national holiday", it should NOT be movable. That is, if Nov. 11 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, so be it. We don't take off Friday or Monday. In effect, the date is sacred, not the time off.

The bottom line is this. Our country is at war, a war against terrorism in many parts of the world. Anything less than complete dedication to the effort is an abdication of our responsibility to our allies and to ourselves. If setting aside one day to officially recognize and honour our veterans makes us more aware of our debt, I'm all for it.

I've signed and highly recommend all Canadians do the same.
If the government has a problem fitting in another statutory holiday, I would suggest they substitute Victoria Day, May 24th for Remembrance Day. Otherwise, just add Remembrance Day to the list.

I would suggest they substitute Victoria Day, May 24th for Remembrance Day
As sad as this statement is going to be, any government or elected official that even suggested this in any seriousness, would be run out of town and never elected again. The outcry would be enormous. Its a sad sign that is the case, but, I'm afraid it is.

I happen to be on Mark's side on this. My company already gives Nov 11 off, and I make sure to attend something, I believe I am in the minority of people who would do so. Even within my coworkers, some take lieu days if Rememberance Day falls on a Tues-Thurs to make it a long weekend.

As honourable as the notion is, making it a national holiday will be lost. Look at many of our holidays now. Most people (especially the young ones) dont know whats behind them now:

May 24 weekend (oops..I mean Victoria Day, but really..how many people call it that)..unofficial start of summer and big party weekend

July 1st - Canada Day...most people know this one.

Civic Holiday / Simcoe Day (August). Most people have NO CLUE what this one is..other than another long weekend in the summer.

Labour Day. Unofficial end of summer. Day before school starts.

If you were to make Rememberance Day a holiday, I can see this as an honest to god convervsation in a school somewhere 25 yrs down the road. "Why are we off school again tomorrow?'.."Well..its Rememberance Day. We are supposed to remember something, but I forget what it is"

Sad but true...

As sad as this statement is going to be, any government or elected official that even suggested this in any seriousness, would be run out of town and never elected again. The outcry would be enormous. Its a sad sign that is the case, but, I'm afraid it is. (quote)

Those who are monarchists would certainly oppose the idea of throwing out Queen Victoria's Birthday celebration, but personally, I am not a monarchist and I'm pretty sure that most Canadians aren't in this day and age.
If we could find some honest politicians in parliament, they too would likely admit that they really don't give a damn about Queen Victoria's Birthday, since we don't even celebrate the current queen's birthday here, not to mention her coronation.

Ideally, I like the idea of celebrating the beginning of summer but if we currently have too many stats, lets dump Vicky!

Myko75: Your statement above is rather strong, saying that politicians who oppose this idea would be run out of town. Maybe you're right, but I doubt it. The tide has changed. I know Quebec would have no problem completely dumping the monarchy.

You miss my point. It has nothing to do with the monarchy whatsoever. It has to do with getting rid of the biggest party weekend in Canada. Thats what the holiday is about to everyone. Sad I know. But true.

If the 11th falls on a sunday is the following day a day off and how long would it take before we started moving the date to accomodate/manufacture a long weekend?
I agree that a day designed to honour our fallen needs to become a much higher priority than it currently is but I don't believe a day off work is our only viable option to gain this.
Some banks and other insitutions are already taking the nearest Friday or Monday off and calling it rememberance day.
Sorry if anyone finds this offensive but those people are already making rememberance day all about themselves and not even remotely about fallen soldiers.
The may 24 weekend never falls on the 24th,(rarely) and what a sin would it be for that to happen top to the 11th.
Contact a school board or major employer and see if they'd be willing to arrange and make a group trip to any of the local ceremonies, chances are they wouldn't.....but a day off work? Woo-Hoo!!! You betcha.

I'm all for increased recognition and havn't missed a ceremony in many many years but I honestly don't see a national holiday increasing awareness unless it comes with some very stringent guidelines about the 11th remaining the 11th.
It's about them not us.

In the Hamilton area, the majority of schools DO recognize Remembrance Day, whether it is an assembly or a public minute of silence. In Dundas, all of the schools within walking distance are present at the Cenotaph ceremony, and each school in town has students lay a wreath. In my experience, this recognition has grown in the schools over the past decade or so. I'm not sure that making this a school 'holiday ' (and that is what it would be treated as) would be as productive.

(mycko75)If you were to make Rememberance Day a holiday, I can see this as an honest to god convervsation in a school somewhere 25 yrs down the road. "Why are we off school again tomorrow?'.."Well..its Rememberance Day. We are supposed to remember something, but I forget what it is"
I disagree on this one too, mycko. If our kids are not aware of what Remembrance Day is all about, the responsibility of seeing that they do, lies with us adults. It is important for kids and adults alike to understrand that this day is the most important part of our heritage and without the folks who made the supreme sacrifices in all of our wars, (and there WILL be more) we wouldn't be enjoying the many freedoms we have today. Our soldiers, both living and dead, paid the ultimate price for all of this.

A good rule of thumb for Remembrance Day is, "We Shall Never Forget", and so it should be.

In terms of switching Remembrance Day to the May Holiday, (Victoria's Birthday) where is it written that we can't do this? This would still allow school kids to participate in the activities and the weedkend could still be used as the prelude to summer festivities that you discussed earlier.

The main thing here is, it really doesn't matter what date we use.

It has been proven many times in the past that Christ was NOT born on December 25, yet we continue to call this date Christmas. This doesn't bother me, how about you?

Actually, without trying to sound too confrontational, it does matter what date we use. The War To End All Wars, aka The Great War, aka The First World War (British Commonwealth), aka World War 1 (USA), ended on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918. That date, unlike the birth date of Christ, is a firm historical fact.

When Remembrance Day was first observed it was the fallen of that war that were being remembered. To change that date would be to "break faith with us who die", in my opinion anyways.

A date is just that, - "a date".
The main thing is to never forget the events that led to our freedom, the date (in my mind, anyway) is unimportant.

(Something like my birthday as I continue to age)

Signed.. this shouldn't need be done, but our government is the epitomy of dumbness.

In over 30 years of teaching, I can't remember not having student involvement in Remembrance Day. However, when I was a student in the 50s and 60s, it was a holiday and unfortunately, many of us played football or other activities.I think today's students get more from being in class and learning about our country's heros.
Pat Lynch (the old guy in section 7 )

[quote="PatLynch"]In over 30 years of teaching, I can't remember not having student involvement in Remembrance Day. However, when I was a student in the 50s and 60s, it was a holiday and unfortunately, many of us played football or other activities.I think today's students get more from being in class and learning about our country's heros.
Pat Lynch (the old guy in section 7 )[/quot

I agree . When it was a holiday it did not serve to help remember.

The date of Nov 11 and in fact May 24 th are very importent to myself and I am sure many others.

The point made earlier about Victoria Day now being just the 24 th long weekend proves the point the the meaning would be lost if Nov 11 was just another long weekend.

DAMMIT this is part of the history of Canada and who we are as canadians .