Remember the American CFL teams?

I just finished reading a few articals on all the cfl american teams! I’m only 14 years old so i don’t exactly what happened, but it was cool to know that the CFL had more than 9 teams and we were on ESPN! I wish it could work out but unfortunatly didn’t! Oh well!! :!: :arrow:

and if you liked them what was your favorite team and what team did you hate most? :roll:

I had to do a report on the CFL for school and this is where I learned about the US teams. I don’ really know. It just takes the Canadian part of the CFL when you American teams. Not to mention that we’re scared (as in a scar, dont know if i spelt it right) with an American team on the Grey Cup.

I thought it could have been a good thing, but was managed poorly by the American owners.

The Lions cup in 94 over Baltimore was a great game to be at (I was there!!)
and Lui kicked the winning FG with no time on the clock.

The Biggest Problem With The american Expansion Was That It Was Too Big Too Fast And The League Didn't Force These Owners To Put Down A Down Payment And Some Sort Of Busness Plan. This Cause All The Teams To Flop Back And Forth Between Different Cities For The Three Seasons.

The Other Problem Is That The CFL Has A Rule That Says That A Team May Not Have More Then, I Beleave, 9 Import Players On The Field At Any One Time. But The US Has A Law That Says That No Imployer May Hire Employees Without Green Cards. Therefor Teams From The South (Such As Baltimore And Sacramento) Could Build More Successful Teams Because They Weren't Force To Play Mediocore Canadian Players. There Is A Way Around This, That I Think Is Almost Fool Proof. That Is To Have The Teams Head Of Operations In Canada, And Therefor Based Here, But Have Them Play Home Games On A Foriegn Site.

Well since I live in Baltimore and have been a big fan of CFL football of course I liked having American teams in your league. It didn’t last too long.

Once the NFL was coming back to Baltimore I knew they boot the Stallions out of town. It was a shame because the owner put together an agressive marketing plan and created alot of interest. We had good attendance too.

While our owner had first choice of dates for the stadium, once the NFL was back they virtually ignored the Stallions and also said the state would take Speros and the Stallions to court over the scheduling rights. What made it even worse was the fact that Speros and the CFL were willing to work around any problems but that didn’t make any difference.

The NFL was back and the media as well ignored the Stallions. It was even worse when they made the announcement early (just before a playoff game) just to take a shot at the CFL.

That's dirty ... I just lost a bit of respect for the NFL/Ravens ...

To go off-topic, know what's a scar? "Tampa Bay Lightning" on the Stanley Cup. "Anaheim Mighty Ducks" on the Clarence Campbell Bowl. barf

It is too bad that the Cup had to go south one year ... but at least it went to Baltimore (the northernmost of the CFL/USA cities). And, at least it went to a city where it was appreciated. And that team was goooood ... 15-3 in their 2nd year!!!

btw, if anyone knows of a Baltimore Stallions mini-helmet, I would LOVE to have one! :wink:

[b]The Stallions were a great team. As far as U.S. teams go Baltimore was my favorite. I used to pull for the Sacramento Gold Miners, as well. I remember what I beleive was the first game where a Canadian team played a U.S. CFL team on American soil.. The Saskatchewan Rough Riders beat the Gold Miners that night and the game was pretty exciting. Decent crowd too.

I wish the expansion experiment had worked, but there were too many reasons why it didn't and it wasn't because the American owners did'nt have the loot. Example: The billionaire owner of Federal Express in Memphis owned the Mad Dogs. Problem....their field was not CFL regulation size. The Commisioner allowed this technicality which took credibility away. Some may feel this is a small thing, but how can you be serious about being in a league and not folow the rules and guildlines the rest of the teams do? Because the owner was a billionaire and the league needed the expansion fees back then so they let things like that slip. Again, there were too many pot holes on the road to US expansion. I expect with a stronger more recognizable CFL today, expansion in the right Northern States could be interesting, but don't hold your breath waiting for a team in Portland. By the way, when Baltimore temporarily changed their name from the Colts to the Baltimore CFLer's I thought that was pretty ballsy and cool. They just said screw you NFL we're the CFLer's. Good on them for that. I will always respect Baltimore and it's fans for giving our game a chance. As far as having their Stallions players names engraved on Lord Albert Henry Earl Grey's Cup...I say welcome to the CFL history book.

On a down note, I believe a different owner on one of the other teams suggested the name be changed to the CAFL...Canadian American Football League. Some U.S. owners felt calling it the Canadian Football League didn't make sense in American markets.

My feeling is they should have marketed it as CFL Rules Football. Case closed. Who wants in to the most exciting and oldest brand of football in North America......[/b]

i lost alot of respect for Baltimore ravens too, but i respect the baltimore fans alot now too :smiley:

I don't have the upmost respect for the the NFL or the Ravens either and I'm from Baltimore. Part of it rests with the way the Stallions were treated. Part of it also rests with the way the Colts snuck out late at night and we wind up taking a team from Cleveland that sold out every game for years. Even when they had lousy teams. Granted, if Ohio had built a new stadium for the Browns they'd still be there. The good part is Cleveland got an expansion team. The NFL for some reason did not want Baltimore to get another team. Even more so once we were in the CFL which I just don't understand. I love the CFL brand of football and wish the NFL would use their rules. It'd be alot more exciting game. Then again, if they would expand the field they may lose a few seats (revenue) and they just couldn't stand that.

I don't have the upmost respect for the the NFL or the Ravens either and I'm from Baltimore. Part of it rests with the way the Stallions were treated. Part of it also rests with the way the Colts snuck out late at night and we wind up taking a team from Cleveland that sold out every game for years. Even when they had lousy teams. Granted, if Ohio had built a new stadium for the Browns they'd still be there. The good part is Cleveland got an expansion team. The NFL for some reason did not want Baltimore to get another team. Even more so once we were in the CFL which I just don't understand. I love the CFL brand of football and wish the NFL would use their rules. It'd be alot more exciting game. Then again, if they would expand the field they may lose a few seats (revenue) and they just couldn't stand that.

It seemed like a good idea at the time cuz it seemed that Quebec was going to break away and there wasn't any cities in the West that were big ehough or had intrerest in a team. So expanding to non pro markets made sease. But it guttered the league as Canada's only pro league (NHL don't count, it's north and south of the bounder) and almost ran the league into the ground.

Had there been more teams in the US north, may have worked, but all the "big" cities with no pro teams were in the south.

damm only if it worked! :oops:

I remember when we were blessed with the honor of the Las Vegas Posse. Looking back I realize that the Posse was something of a spectacle. The corporate offices were nothing but a four plex apartment in a section of Vegas regularly featured on the show COPS called Crack Alley. The team practiced in the back parking lot of the Riviera Hotel caged in an area about the size of half (if that) of a Canadian Football field. It didn't matter about the width, as the stadium they used wasn't wide enough for a Canadian regulation field.
Initially they had some hope for success as they had 18,000 show for the exhibition game with the B.C. Lions and they won their two first games. But that was the best they would be.

First problem was the CFL themselves. They should have sent the person in charge of scheduling to come down to Vegas in June, July, and August. I don't know how many of you would come down to watch a game when the 7PM kickoff temperature was 45 Celsius but they had several games with that temperature! They should have made the Posse a traveling team for the first half of the season and then bring them back for the last half when it cooled off. Although, now that I think about it, I remember watching the Grey Cup with the Eskies and Als at Commonwealth with Shania Twain so cold she had to cover her belly button and it was 35 Celsius down here.

The other problems were the fault of Posse marketing. Vegas is a 24 hour town with a ton of people working swing and late shifts, and weekends being the desirable times to work as that is when the most money is to be made. Families with someone working these odd hours are also less likely to go without them. But the biggest problem is the demographics of Las Vegas. The majority of people who party here and move here are from Southern California. Gallagher (Mr. Watermelon smasher) said something about these "winners" 30 years ago and it still holds true to this day. He said "Californians are like a bowl of granola; if they're not a fruit or a nut then they're a flake!" Throw in the fact that they still had both the Rams and the Raiders (as well as the other two teams in the NFL) to cheer on, and then you wonder why the Posse "execs" were scratching their heads wondering how they could get more than two thousand people in the stands.

Last I heard about the Posse was that they had to borrow 2 million from Calgary to pay their players and that the franchise could be bought for nothing but you had to pay back Calgary and move the franchise out of town.

Just a fine example of what I have always stated regarding what my country does to other business entities that didn’t happen to be an American idea. Especially if it seems to be becoming a success. You can NEVER rely on the media to give you the whole story down here. If you are American and something new comes here and you’re curious?..Ignore the media…buy a ticket…and make up your own mind.