Relief Duties: Kelly enters Grey Cup late, leads Argos to victory

McLeod Bethel-Thompson had a message for Chad Kelly in the moments before the Argos’ rookie quarterback took over for him in the fourth quarter of the Grey Cup game.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/21/relief-duties-kelly-enters-grey-cup-late-leads-argos-to-victory/

I am very happy for Kelly - but even more happy to know that MBT didn't lead the team to victory. HIs bullying behaviour towards his coach in the Eastern Final has really turned me against the guy. I can't accept that a professional athlete would yell at and push his coach because he disagreed with him. I hope to never see MBT again in the CFL.

2 Likes

The most spectacular thing about Chad Kelly's Grey Cup debut was his ability to jump right back up after a "punishing hit" to the head area. :star_struck:

Note: Your Uncle Jim Kelly was also "tough as nails" :rofl: :joy:
Jim Kelly

MLSE has to start promoting him and making him the face of the franchise. It’s time MLSE takes advantage of this , and start marketing him. If not this could be the last chapter for this team.

2 Likes

But interesting enough, his nephew Chad now has more professional championships! What a crazy world!:wink:

2 Likes

And had Buffalo's kicker not missed that FG at the end of that championship game (back in the Marv Levy years) they'd both have championships... ahh crap.

I can see why Liegghio's popularity has tanked in these parts.

1 Like

I have very similar feelings about MBT. TO was losing when Kelly came in so he will always be the QB who won it for the Argos in my mind. I do have to give MBT some credit for getting them to the show. Some credit, but no respect.

1 Like

Like poor old Rodney Dangerfield.

"I get no respect. I played hide and seek... they wouldn't even look for me."

3 Likes

MBT is supposedly the resident philosopher guru intellectual wiseman, well read, great perspective, smartest QB, thoughtfulness, etc blah blah.

His reputation is that of someone with very high levels of emotional intelligence.

But his volatile inconsistent behavior as exemplified by his actions not his words is a clear contradiction to his "mature beyond his years" attitude.

I guess he's not as smart as was originally thought. Someone with his reputation as a cerebral deep thinker doesn't behave the way he does. It's erratic and broken.

[quote="Maaax, post:8, topic:82688"]

Like poor old Rodney Dangerfield.

"I get no respect. I played hide and seek... they wouldn't even look for me."

[/quote

Thanks for the Rodney Dangerfield reference. That's me too.

"A girl phoned me and said, “Come on over. There’s nobody home.” I went over. Nobody was home!"

They don't make 'em like that anymore. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Maaax - I see you’re rocking the famous sinking ship Argo logo. Well done!

1 Like

All hands are bailing water as fast as they can... this wreck has to keep floating until the weekend. :grimacing:

Maaax it is a nice change from the same old same old Bombers logo. Maybe next year we can get you sporting a nice Mountain Lion type deal? But we need to make “the bet” first :thinking:

"I called a suicide hotline and they put me on hold".

"My old man saw a sign 'Drink Canada Dry', he left us afterward"

2 Likes

Yes - Clearly this was Kelly winning it for the Argos.
If they start him next year - I will renew season tickets. If they stay with MacBeth - I remain Out.

I have not gone to any games with MacBeth starting - he leaves a LOT to be desired - overthrows, sacks, no mobility, sideline explosions, etc,

1 Like

No parade, not even one comment on the sportsnet boards, just more proof that the city of Toronto does not deserve this cup. The have lots to say about the world diving championships in Qatar though.

Sounds like sour grapes to me...but no "City" deserves a championship....
Only the players do, and the fans, regardless as to how many there are

3 Likes

Great comment. The Argonaut fans who do show up week after week are as passionate as any other supporters in this great league of ours, just wish there were more. Congratulations to the team that on the day were the best and found that one last play to win the game. Pinball is the secret sauce in the Argos organization such that every 5 years or so they get the recipe right.
The Boatmen had a dream…..18 Grey Cups and still going strong.
DBO

2 Likes