Released player

Hamilton Tiger Cats released WR Posey today.His release was due to younger players performing much better than him.I cant figure out why Cats didn,t work out a trade with another CFL team for Posey.

1 Like

Freeing up cash for another kicker eval.? If you want to pull a high schooler out of class you gotta pay $$.

1 Like

Devier Posey was a long shot. Twice, he came to a CFL team (Argos and Lions), in September after NFL cut-down day. Twice, he went on the 6-game (with the Lions, I think and then in '19 with the Alouettes). Yes, he was the Grey Cup MVP but his production when healthy wasn't phenomenal. Now if he goes onto another team (for free now) and he excels, we might all be pissed.

1 Like

Would the club not have been wise to delay this action for, at least, a day?
Posey would posses a lot of information which I expect the Alouettes would really like to have.

1 Like

Nope. His full salary would probably be guaranteed with the team on the hook if he wasn't released prior to game day.

2 Likes

Tim White and Kevin Dunbar are good young receivers who have both contributed a lot in critical wins for us this year. If releasing Posey means White and Dunbar still get to rotate into the starting lineup, I’m ok with that.

3 Likes

it's Steven Dunbar Jr.

1 Like

I went to school with a guy named Kevin Dunbar. He played the drums.

2 Likes

That could be a key point. I don't know if the CBA agreements, regarding release of players, were altered for this shortened season. If not, Posey's full contract salary would not be guaranteed prior to the 10th regular season game, at the earliest.

1 Like

It could also be a hard date too, like the trade deadline.

1 Like

Marcus Tucker, Papi, and Dunbar are all nice alternate depth options now that the receiving core is getting healthy.

Banks
Addison
Acklin
match up with any 3 WR in the CFL

1 Like

Don’t forget Tim White. He’s the best of the new receivers

1 Like

I wouldn't put Tucker in that mix . Him and Marshall both played opening night and haven't been heard from since . Both are currently languishing away collecting cobwebs on the team's PR .

2 Likes

I still think Tucker and Marshall could be decent receivers. Tucker played most of 2019 and the entire offence was pretty bad on opening night this year, wouldn’t judge too much off one game. The Whites bring a bit more speed maybe which is probably why they’ve been favoured with Speedy being dinged up.

1 Like

This would be the perfect time to say something if one thinks this move is a mistake. Told you so or "I had a feeling this would happen" type posts down the road won't be taken seriously.

1 Like

Totally agree, I think we def gotta see more of Tucker. Based on last year he was actually pretty solid

1 Like

Agree

Who's spot is Tucker going to take ?

he could back up someone if activated right now only WR with a backup on the depth chart is Ungerer who has ternowski listed behind him

This all came out of nowhere. There have been many fans anxiously awaiting Addison and Posey to get into the lineup. All of a sudden Posey is released without playing a down. I wonder if his injuries and lack of playing time have somewhat eroded his skillset?

1 Like