Redblacks hire Bryan Chiu for OL Coach position

Just got the news alert. Love this hire. The lack of a dedicated OL coach was a problem last year, in my view. :thup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Chiu

Announcement.

OTTAWA – The Ottawa REDBLACKS announced today the hiring of Bryan Chiu as their new offensive line coach.

“Bryan understands the CFL and specifically offensive line play in the CFL, said REDBLACKS head coach Rick Campbell. “He’s also familiar with our new offensive coordinator Jason Maas after coaching together last year in Toronto so we think that relationship will continue to build and help us be successful. Bryan is up and coming with a long successful career as a player and a promising career as a coach in the CFL.?

Chiu joins the REDBLACKS after taking charge of the Argos offensive line last season. Prior to joining Toronto’s staff, Chiu was the Offensive Line Coach and Assistant Offensive Coordinator for the Concordia Stingers from 2010 to 2013.

The 40 year-old spent his entire 13-year CFL career as a centre with the Montreal Alouettes. He was named a CFL all-star seven times, the league’s outstanding lineman in 2002, and helped the Alouettes earn Grey Cup titles in 2002 and 2009.

The Vancouver native retired as a Grey Cup champion before the 2010 season.

We could have used him last year.... I mean on the field :lol:

Funny 'cause it's true! :thup:

I also hope that this makes it even more appealing for Tyler Holmes to leave the Argos to play for his old coach, at home. I've seen comments to the effect that Chiu is unproven as a coach but he did get Holmes on the East all-star team and I think Van Zeyl's selection to that team was his first as well, even though he's been around a few years (I don't know ho wmuch he played though). Seems promising enough to me.

When it comes to an expansion team it takes time to build some continuity.
On the offensive staff now Maas brings Chiu along with him. Holmes had his stint in the NFL and with Chiu making him into an all star calibre in his first full season and Ottawa with money to spend a good chance to add him onboard. Joe Eppele had a breakout in the second half of the 2013 season with the Argo’s missed the entire 2014 season. The organizations 1st ever draft pick in Nolan Mac goat a whole season starting as a rookie. While at Iowa he was a starter early on but his last couple season’s injuries limited his PT. Playing a whole 18 game pro season should pay off in year 2. J’M Deane also a good talent as a starting RT at Mich ST spent his first few years as a U lineman in Calgary another guy with a full year of starting under his belt should pay off as well.
Ottawa acquired two of the modern FB/TE in the expansion draft. For Mass coaching with Milanovich he will know how to use them.
Defensive coaching was no problem with Campbell as the HC. A big time breakout season for Justin Cap as a National DE to go with vet all star Sholo and Sholo rotation caddie in regina a young Zack evens gives a great base and they are all Nationals.
The second and 3rd ever draft picks for Ottawa in 2013 both joined the team mid season with being in NFL camps. Both being around for a whole camp will be huge.
Ottawa said they got the best player in the draft in Pruneau and they were right. after getting into the starting line up at mid season as a National SAM LB as a rookie, look for an all star type season as a starter from day one.
Flying under the raider for the RBs was another mid season signing of all star LB D Munoz. After getting deep into NFL TC, is still in his prime and will be a huge asset as a starter giving them depth.
Besides focusing on Homes in FA. A receiver will be on the top of the list. Again with some cash in the bank can they lure an all star type to give Burris a true number 1 threat.

Ah, dang!

TORONTO -- The Toronto Argonauts Football Club is pleased to announce that national OL Tyler Holmes, who was scheduled to become a free agent on February 10, has extended his contract with the club through the 2016 season.

Commented Argonauts General Manager, Jim Barker, "Tyler is one of the premier young offensive linemen in our League. He is developing into the player we thought he'd be when we traded into the first round to get him during the 2011 draft. Tyler has performed very well on our offensive line and we're happy to keep him in Toronto."

Holmes was drafted by Toronto in the first round, 7th overall, in the 2011 CFL Draft. He officially joined the Club in September of 2013 and played in four games, with 3 starts, at left guard as a CFL rookie.

Ottawa made the right move in last years draft. Knowing they had a #1 pick from the 2013 draft coming on the Oline. They traded down and got a DB in Pruneau. The attempt also was to add an expereinced center in Gott.