REDBLACKS acquire Arbuckle in trade with Elks

OTTAWA — The Ottawa REDBLACKS have acquired quarterback Nick Arbuckle in a trade with the Edmonton Elks.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/11/redblacks-acquire-arbuckle-in-trade-with-elks/

1 Like

Knew he was headed somewhere, CJ didn't seem to have him in his plans. For Ottawa's sake I hope he can finally prove himself as a starter. This is his opportunity to prove to us his potential hasn't been fully tapped yet. We'll be watching.:eyes:

2nd time he has been a REDBLACK and hasn't played a down yet!

1 Like

Big surprise.....but good on the Elks for not asking for the world in return.

2 Likes

2nd time a charm now?

Well there's the Masoli replacement answered real quick.

Gotta feel for Arbuckle sometimes. A QB who's 'needed' but never seems to be 'wanted'

2 Likes

In a round about way they got a 4th rounder in exchange for the rights to Chad Kellly.

Mr. Arbuckle seems to be the after thought in all this

1 Like

I think its was more like they were probably going to be (or already were) shopping someone around. Four QB's are too many....

1 Like

NA is better than average given some support ( coaches? )
Hope he can help RedBlacks!

1 Like

Knew this was coming, if Prukop wasn't hurt it could have been us making that trade for LBer help.

Never seen this many trades in football before.

1 Like

Elks making room for VAJr???
:thinking:

1 Like

Great move by Chris Jones. Nick Arbuckle's salary and services were no longer required. Now if Lapo can figure out what makes Arbuckle tick then Ottawa can salvage their season while Masoli heals.

1 Like

Maciocia is dumb enough to trade VA somewhere. Most likely spot would be the Elks. The Elks can give him a dozen used footballs and Maciocia would say it's a great deal.

1 Like

I think this is a good opportunity for Arbuckle.
I think he has a shot to prove that he can play. Arbuckle will have a half decent offense around him, and good offensive coach.

As for Esks, Ford is down, but they still have a few Qb's.

2 Likes

And Look :eyes:
MTL just added a QB to the active roster!

2022-07-08 MTL ALEXANDER, Davis QB A Portland State Add To Active Roster

1 Like

Has some sort of QB frenzy begun here?

Lapo, IMO, is a way better coach for Arbuckle ! I think the way Chris Jones treated Arbuckle right from when Jones arrived in Edmonton contributed to some of his lack of expected success. Arbuckle started out in Calgary under Dave Dickenson and was a great replacement for when Mitchell went down with an injury. With the right coaching designed to build confidence, I still believe Arbuckle can help turn the RB team around.
It is just too bad that the RB had to give up a 4th round pick as Jones didn't really want Arbuckle since Jones inherited Arbuckle when he took the job. It seems Jones has a history of replacing people with his own selections.

1 Like

Like the Alien from another planet did in 'The Thing'. You'd think that the Human Race would've learned from their previous encounter with Jones.

Modern day Kevin Glenn?

1 Like

We'll see how things work out. Arbuckle was traded out of TO by a guy who knew him well, Dinwiddie. And chose McBeth over Arbuckle. The reason being he was prone to turnovers. He had the same problems in Edmonton, average arm & having to look over his shoulder every time he made a mistake didn't help his confidence IMO. So, yeah, get something for him & unload a big salary. I like Arbuckle, character guy, but does anyone know how good he is based upon 11 starts coming into the season?

Masoli is signed for 2 years. Arbuckle has time to prove himself with Masoli out for a lengthy time. Will be an interesting watch in Ottawa. :sunglasses:

2 Likes