Red Shirt

I don't dispute that Air Canada transports the remains of Canadian Soldiers. I don't dispute that there is a ceremonial aspect to this activity. I don't dispute the authenticity of the "Fallen but not forgotten" article you posted.

I DO dispute the likelihood that the "Sergeant Steeley" story occured exactly as described in the email forward. At least one of the "Sergeant Steeley" stories circulating online is false, as the story has been repeated almost verbatim with the substitution of new names for the places and institutions involved. Unless you were on the flight in the story and can personally corroborate every detail of the story, it is irrational for you to insist that it is 100% true. The tone and dialog in the "Sergeant Steeley" story suggest to a critical reader that they are designed to convey an impression to the reader rather than represent a factual account of a genuine specific event.

To insist that the "Sergeant Steeley" story must be 100% true because it is true that Air Canada transports the remains of fallen soldiers is equivalent to insisting that The Three Little Pigs is a true story because it is true that houses can be built from straw, wood and brick.

Are you trying to say that the story of the "Three Little Pigs" isn't true? :smiley:

I'm bitterly disappointed because there was a lesson to that fictitious story
just as there is to the "Sgt. Steely story".

Even though both stories contain valid moral arguments, I've never encountered anyone who tries to pass off "The Three Little Pigs" as a realistic account of actual events. :wink:

On a slight tangent, I do think it is profoundly beneficial to tell some harmless lies to your children, with the expectation that the truth will be revealed eventually. Doing so teaches them they can never be 100% sure that everything they hear is true, regardless of the source.

To insist that the "Sergeant Steeley" story must be 100% true because it is true that Air Canada transports the remains of fallen soldiers is equivalent to insisting that The Three Little Pigs is a true story because it is true that houses can be built from straw, wood and brick.
I understand your point and I agree. I was not on that flight and can't verify the events. My only input was on the services of Air Canada.

If someone is fabricating the first post based on previous falsehoods or deception then that is extremely disappointing. I hope that is not the case. This is far too serious of a topic for anything other than honesty.

Now, exaggerating the competence of Richie Williams is something altogether different... :wink:

Looking back I realize I probably misinterpreted which story you were referring to with your "100% true" remark. It sounds like you and I are on the same page.

I'll leave the Richie Williams discussion for other threads. :wink:

Why are the dead soldiers 'fallen'? They didn't fall down. The were torn apart by pieces of metal. They we're killed in a horrible and, no doubt painful way. I myself would like to know how and why so that I can truly honour the memory of these men. Platitudes about god and country don't do it for me. What they do every day is so far beyond my 'ken that the thought of draping myself in a patriotic colour on certain 'holy days' makes me feel slightly sick. Send our best and brightest a care package and shut up, it'll do a lot more good for them and that's what really matters.
Admin, pls shut this goddamn forum down.

sorry; topic, not forum.
love this forum!