Recruitment Issues

I caught a bit of a UFL game last weekend and AJ McCarron was quarterbacking one of the teams. Can anyone explain why the CFL cannot snag one of these better non NFL quarterbacks? It would seem to make sense for the CFL to try and lure the best UFL quarterbacks up north. Why is this not happening?

1 Like

They have money we dont

Active roster players in the UFL all make 5500 a week and they only play 10 games. So CFL players make more other than minimum salary guys.

4 Likes

$5,500 x 10 games equals approximately $76,000 CDN … assuming there are no “extras” to get some of the “name” quarterbacks to sign on.

1 Like

McCarron turns 34 this September … not (I-M-O) attractive for CFL teams.

3 Likes

McCarron turns 34 in September … not certain any CFL teams want a “rookie” at that age.

I expect anyone the CFL might want would either be getting NFL TC invites or playing in the UFL hoping to get an NFL offer.

3 Likes

CFL minimum is 70K CDN. So any CFL starter makes more than all UFL players.

3 Likes

As others have stated entry level contracts will be more attractive in the UFL. That will be a challenge getting new players into the league.

On the other hand, veteran players will make more money here especially the top tired ones.

There won’t be a major talent drain heading there. Most that have came back north anyways.

2 Likes

I don’t expect the UFL to last long anyway. They had to merge the USFL and and XFL to keep both alive. American startup football leagues have never lasted ever.

2 Likes

Based on present value of Canadian dollar, 70K CDN represents roughly $51,100 US.

Richard

2 Likes

Question, Richard : est-ce que les quarts-arrières ne gagnent généralement pas plus que le salaire de base après leur contrat de recrue?

Quarterbacks like McCarron are still chasing the NFL dream. He was a backup for Cincinnati I believe last fall.

He can’t play in the CFL and be signed for an NFL team at the same time. The best alternative for him to get some playing action is a spring league.

4 Likes

UFL
Not a big ticket item on my must see for sports

1 Like

Possible que les quarts-arrière gagnent plus que le salaire de base LeStaf. Je n’en ai aucune idée et aucun intérêt dans cette ligue.

Richard

1 Like

UFL plays ten less weeks tho

4 Likes

We’ve been tracking that reality in other threads for months now too.

For some players who have spent time in NFL camps but have not yet cracked a roster, an/or then also like a few others have some spring football experience since especially 2019, the CFL is their next stop.

1 Like

I haven’t watched a single game. However, UFL is doing fine without us.

1 Like

Is this true? Aren’t our salaries competitive with the UFL?

But why would a prospective player trying to get back to the NFL choose the UFL over the CFL when the CFL is more established and has a higher potential for income down the line while still offering a portal to the NFL. Is it that the CFL is missing out on an opportunity here?

If it fails by next year, would a QB like Luis Perez find a place in the CFL? If not, would that be because the CFL didn’t want him or visa versa. And if the CFL didn’t want him, would that have been the correct decision. Perez is probably at least comparable to some of the lower tiered CFL QBs. Why don’t we go after him?