Receiver Cuts

I was a bit disappointed to see Gardner cut in favour of Quinnie. Gardner performed well in the two exhibition games. But Gardner vs. Peterson isn't an equivalent comparison because Gardner is an import, while Peterson isn't, so there would have to be some other import cut if Gardner stayed.

I don't know about Morreale vs. Fleming, and it may be time to go with youth, but we have a lot of new afces on this team, and Morreale represents continuity as well as leadership.

This idea that there is no point bringing talent into camp unless we're going to keep the players doesnt make much sense to me. If we want competition, there have to be cuts. If we think all talent brought in should be kept, we'd have to go with a training camp of 46 players.

There will always be disappointments. I hope a few of the really good cuts take places on the practice roster. They get full pay there don't they?

"They get full pay there don't they?"

No. Not unless things changed with the new CBA.

How were they at clearing routes and blocking downfield?

How were they covered? What were their pass patterns like?

There’s a lot more to being a receiver than the number of passes you catch.

I think your wrong i think that our recieving core is alot better than last year with vaughn and cavil. We will surprise everyone this and challenge for the top spot in the east.

Did he sign with antone yet he could help our d-line out big time

You’re right… full pay goes to the extra 4 roster spots not dressing for the game. But PR players still receive PR pay.

Sorry i was talking about montford did he sign with anyone yet

And Montford fits in with reciever cuts how?

AMG - What "Drops" are you talking about from KP. The guy caught everything thrown his way in Toronto and i saw 1 dropped ball at home, a screen play where the ball was a bit low. Hardly a poor performance.

peterson will be one the projected starters i’ll be watching closely to start the season.
then maybe ralph gets dealt to calg anyways for some help we need in other positions. i could live with cavil,morreale and maybe fleming as my 5,6,7 receivers along with holmes

Ralph gets dealt????

No way... I say #5 gets dealt before Ralph does.

i wish

You beat me to it Crash... lol

Great minds Sig...

Or fools seldom differ...

Or fools seldom differ...
Finally...someone knows the rest of that saying!

As for the thread…I’m a fan…not an evaluator of talent. I can only assume the coaches have their reasons for keeping who they did and I respect that.

bump

“Everything thrown his way in Toronto”…He had two catches in that game. I hope he can make 2 catches without a drop. Anyways, I remember a hitch pass that he should’ve caught but it went off his fingertips…it was a little high but he could’ve made the catch.

Also, yes the screen play is what I was talking about in Hamilton. “A bit low”…sorry man, you have to make that catch.

In conclusion, take away the incomplete pass in Toronto that I was talking about, he made 3 catches and had 1 drop…Sounds like a poor performance over two games to me.

I agree 100%. However, catching the ball is the most important aspect of a receivers game. I’m not talking about pure receiving stats…I’m talking about making a catch when the ball is thrown your way. Obviously these guys are human and mistakes are gonna happen, but a recurring trend in Peterson’s game is his drops and it always will be until he shows a little consistency. He has a chance to do that this year and obviously I hope he does.

Dondre Gilliam was a prime example of someone who would block very well downfield, could clear out no problem because of his speed and ran pretty good patterns. Also, he was a special teams animal.

However, he always had trouble catching the ball and he is no longer on the team because of that.

Enough said.

One more thing.....Gilliam was probably the best receiver at camp each of the last two seasons.

Right Crash?

EDIT: Sorry, the previous two seasons before this one.