Reality Check: Why Nova Scotia may never have a CFL team

Don Mills, President and CEO of Corporate Research Inc., recently wrote a guest essay for the Atlantic Institute of Market Studies in which he posits why Nova Scotia fails to live up to its potential. His opinions may explain why that province is somewhat of a frustrating enigma to the rest of Canada, and to CFL fans in particular, given that it seems incapable of building a 25K seat stadium and eventually attracting a CFL franchise.

[url=http://www.aims.ca/en/home/library/details.aspx/3038?dp=]http://www.aims.ca/en/home/library/deta ... x/3038?dp=[/url]

The PDF download is at the end of the short introduction.

His main points, for those not wishing to read the entire eight pages:

• Nova Scotia is a have?not province without any clear prospects or a plan to change this reality.

• governments, at both the municipal and provincial level, have lived beyond their means for most of the last decade or so.

• increasingly “dependent? on government to solve all problems.

• economy has consistently under?performed relative to the rest of the provinces.

• has lacked strong political leadership for far too long.

• a decidedly anti?business attitude in the province.

• the lowest level of consumer confidence in the region.

• a “status quo? mentality with regard to the future of the province.

Mills defines what many of us have suspected and spoken out about on this board for a long time now. The question is does anybody in that province have the will to forge change? If it doesn't happen it's pretty much assured that there will never be team there — which is probably why, even with the drawbacks, it's likely better to look at Moncton rather than Halifax.

This is a fairly bias, one sided paper. Is there no mention of the booming drug and chemical research sect? How about it gearing the education sector towards a more science based specialty rather that economics? No mention that they are probably the strongest reason for tech research in Canada. What about the fact that there is a growing Oil industry off the coast?

This article is one man's propaganda. A man who clearly can not look from more than one angle.

Quality type stadiums are not easy to build, don't mean technically but trying to gather the financial resources to do it that makes sense to a community and prospective team.

Something like this has to be taken with a grain of salt. Its the big business mentality that places need them in order to thrive and function. People have critisized Saskatchewan for years for being anti business as well. Just because you dont see the millionaires or billionaires in these places, doesnt mean that the way they are doing things is wrong. When you allow these big business people to go in, instead of building solid self sustaining communities, the quality of life for the people as a whole goes down.

Hey at one time I was all for the big name of Halifax, as having visited and it's a nice place on the water and all.
However I can tell you after visiting Moncton and during the Argo game, I was thoroughly impressed.
Unlike Halifax and Nova Scotia, Moncton like the province New Brunswick is a progressive city, with the political will to make things happen.
Heck before the TD Atlantic, they had the Stones in and drew an unbelievable crowd, I believe the numbers were around 60,000. Although the current stadium is expandable, there was talk by the mayor how building even a new facility is an option. What progressive ideas.
Moncton can get a new team and in the meantime, I will be cheering for them as they are miles ahead of Halifax.

the reason that Saskatchewan for so long was the way it was, is because the NDP party was in control.. and they wanted to have their fingers in everything.

many businesses, including the Oil companies wanted nothing to do with them..

when the Sask party won, things started to turn!

I agree with you cflisthebest. Manitoba is doing great and Saskatchewan has 16 times the amount of work that Manitoba has.
As for Don Mills, President and CEO of Corporate Research Inc who wrote that study, I have to agree with Don Mills too.
His study is just not one mans opinion or bias propaganda. There are many others who have studied economics around Canada that will probably agree with him as do I.
Argue against his study all you want but history proves itself. It has been 26 years or since the CFL considered Halifax and still Halifax has done absolutely nothing to make the team happen. They also lost many other events to Moncton as well.
So how can you call this study bias?