RE: Where is the Rugby in the CFL???

Why not say that play is completely dead when the ball touches the ground? I’m drafting up a scenario for more exciting beach football, and that’s one of the things I’m going to put in there. However, I don’t know all the specifics. Yes, kickoffs would be somewhat odd, but again not that bad. The onside kick would be used but would be a high floating kick instead (rugby-esque, there). On a standard kickoff, players would be lining the red zone to protect the ball from dropping inside it. Fumbles would be less detrimental, but also less dangerous and lateralling would be more common due to the protection against the live fumble.

One thing in rugby that’s also a key element is the knock-on, dropping the ball forward. Basically a forward fumble. This is illegal and has the same penalty as a forward pass. I caught myself watching live fumbles in the NFL and thinking that the other side would get the ball because I had played enough rugby to know. I don’t think that a turnover should occur in the case of a knock-on in gridiron, but a yardage penalty would be good.

Very VERY well stated!!! I am an american and have been trying to tell people that for years! It is true…the only thing that americans invent is some sport that the rest of the world doesn’t play/know about and thus that makes us the “best” at it.

C’Mon, how egotistical is my country when we call the Baseball championship the 'World Series" and never play a team from another country?

In fact…we call ALL of our pro. sport champions “World Champions” and yet never play anyone from anywhere else on the planet!

hhhhhmmmmmm go figure

Just like the NFL …and to answer your ? …NO… :lol:

The point is, all games with a pointy ball originated from Rugby, true for North American style football (you call it gridiron footy). All countries in the British Empire that imported Rugby developed in into their own version. The Yanks never had the diirect cultural links to Britan so never imported Rugby, they imported Canadiain Rugby football (basically the origins of Canadian football). Even when Canada changed the game (Bernside’s Rules, adopting possession, downs, etc), the Yanks followed suit. The American and Canadian game, though similar did develope seperately for awhile, but after WWII, there was a lot of American players coming to play up here (they got paid more than in the NFL, true fact the NFL didn’t start paying higher salaries until compitition from the AFL) and there was alot of Americanization of the game and the two games started to look more similar (though they both remain distinct).
So as far as North American style football (gridiron footy, if you wish), Canada is the basis of the game as it was fiirst (and still keeps some of the original rugby feel in it’s rules, the Americans don’t as they didn’t have that origianally, they imported the Canadian game). Pretty simple.

If a ball on the ground is a dead ball, that would eliminate fumbles. Sorry, but I don’t like it.

A forward fumble can get an “illegal forward pass” penalty (10 yards back from the point where the ball was thrown from) in the CFL…IF the official believes it is intentional. It doesn’t often get that penalty, because it isn’t often intentional, because the odd-shaped ball can cause some bad hops that can prove disastrous.
I believe the rule on forward fumbles recovered by a teammate USED TO BE that the guy who recovers the ball cannot advance the ball any further, and the team would retain possession where the ball was fumbled from. (Of course if an opponent recovered the fumble, he could still advance the ball.) Going back to that rule would eliminate the intentional forward-fumble, though I don’t really think it’s enough of a problem to be worth the rule change.

Very true!! If Pointy Football Games didn’t derive from Rugby than a “Touchdown” wouldn’t be called that. Because that’s what you do in Rugby is touch the ball down in the endzone.

the goalpost on the line is just how its done, its unique i guess. its supposed to be a gimme, if a kick was the least bit hard, everyone would go for 2 points.

its harder than it looks, i filled in for kicker one day at my school practice, got fired after mssing 5 straight extra points.

I think they should drop the part in the rules that states that a FG may be kicked from a tee and just have the drop kick or punt be used for attempting FGs, would be more interesting, keep place kicks for kick-offs and converts. Will never happen, but would help make the Canadian game a little more unique and less like the American game.

Um, no.

This is how the NFL does it, I’m not sure how it works up there.
The clock stops when:
-> A penalty is assessed.
-> The play stops by running out of bounds
-> An incomplete pass is thrown
-> Turnover
-> First down?

Basically the only way that the clock can continue to run through dead-play is if the play ended without a penalty or turnover by a tackle.

Rugby’s stop-time occurs when an injury is on the field. Personally, I think that the clock in rugby (league AND union) should be 60 mintues instead of 80 and the clock stops whenever the ball is dead.

does anyone know when the last drop kick was in the CFL that was good.
I know Ray Ellgard tried 1 maybe 2 . I think someone in both the NFL and The CFL should do one just to get in the record books. :wink: :smiley: :!:

Drop kicks are a LOT harder with a football than a rugby ball … pointier end!

And I see a lot of rugby converts miss … So many tries are scored on the wing! Those are hard kicks to make.

As for the difference in goal posts, if your a professional football kicker, a 5-yard kick (CFL) or a 12.5-yard kick (NFL) should make no difference. Range is not such an issue for these guys (McCallum got a 62-yarder a couple years back). It’s the aim - and personally, I think it would be HARDER to kick a convert from 5 yards than from 12.5. You have to really get under it.

The thing I like about the goalposts on the line is it make the QB worry about hitting them with a pass!

I don’t even fully understand why there is a convert (in football or rugby). Makes a bit more sense in football - you can go for 2 if you like, with a higher chance of failure, or 1 which is almost a gimme. Well, I guess rugby converts really test the kicker, too. But why not just leave it at a touchdown/try? Is it supposed to be a reward for making it in the endzone?

I’m not 100% sure how the clock works in the CFL (or NFL, for that matter) - I’ve been trying to figure it out for some time now. There’s no stoppage time, though. (btw, I’d rather see rugby have 80-minute continuous games.) I know the clock stops if the ball goes out of bounds, or after an incomplete pass, and probably after a first down (otherwise, how would they get up the field quick enough if it was a big gain?). If anyone knows how it works, please let me know!

I once saw a drop kick in the early 70’s at Frank Clair Stadium when Jack Gotta was coaching the Ottawa Rough Riders (1970-1973) and it was wide. I can’t remember how much a successfull drop kick is , isn’t it 3 points like a feild goal ?

I once saw a drop kick in the early 70's at Frank Clair Stadium when Jack Gotta was coaching the Ottawa Rough Riders (1970-1973) and it was wide. I can't remember how much a successfull drop kick is , isn't it 3 points like a feild goal ?
yup 3 points I saw Ellgard almost make one as he was on the about the 20. It was either the last play of the game or half and he missed. He was going to be tackled for sure. I think he got the 1 point because it shocked all the players and they did not run or kick it out. You know it would be a good play before half to try that rather then take a knee. Call it a rugby play :idea: set up 3 or 4 laterals and then have a guy ready to drop kick it at the end. You could try it from inside your own 40 and run to the about their 30. :wink: You know D line players might give up if they thought there is no way he will make the end zone and yet a try for 3 is better then a rushing stat of -2 for your quarterback. [/quote]