RE: Where is the Rugby in the CFL???

The ball is a bit bigger than the NFL ball, not as big as it used to be. The Rugby ball is alot bigger than both. Cfl still has the drop kick rule, as well as if teams wanted to they could run across the field using laterals, but that only happens at desperation time.

If you had to get used to the goalpost being on the goal line then you havent been watching football for very long. It wasen’t that long ago that the NFL move the posts to the back of the endzone

The field is a replication of the old rugby field, which used to be 110 x 75. It’s now 100m x 70m (some 2ft shorter and 4ft wider). The end zones are similarly as large in rugby union (24yds is the max).

There is practically no similarity between gridiron and Australian football though, and in rugby a player must be behind the ball when their teammate kicks it in order to play it (there’s more to it, but that’s the simple rule, even in free play). In the NFL a ball may still be kicked forward and recieved as a forward pass as long as it does not cross the line of scrimmage. Also, drop-kicks-for-goal are allowed in the NFL as well, although it hasn’t happened since 1947 (ironically, not even in the NFL but the AAFL by the SF 49ers).

I’m not sure I’ve seen what you’re talking about in CFL, Kanga.

but regardless, I play Aussie Ball, and it rocks. But the Hawks suck, man. Go Carlton.

Actually the balls are exactly the same size now in the CFL and NFL and have been for quite a few years. I had someone measure the official balls in a sports store here in hamilton a couple of weeks ago and the guy running the store was surprised.

Canadian football’s origins are from rugby while the NFL and American football origins are from soccer. An excellent article on this is at http://www.footballresearch.com/article … c=c-to1870 that discusses the origins of the game and the Harvard-McGill matches of 1874 that led to the Americans adopting the Canadian rugby version of football. I like the quote from this article about rugby - "The Harvard team laughed, but when the McGill players were out of earshot they asked each other nervously, “What’s a rugby?”

I’m 99% sure that whenever someone punts the ball (as oppose to drop-kicking it, which involves having the ball hit the ground before striking it with your foot) in the CFL, anyone on his team who is behind him when he punts the ball can play it, and anyone else has to wait for it to touch the other team first.
I also love it when that happens in a football game … so much fun to watch!

Kanga, you should have seen the balls before they even started tampering with the size. When we were young, we could hardly hold the thing let alone throw it. I have a J5V football that was the first attempt at downsizing (Jake Gaudar’s name is on it). These balls were the same length as their predecessors but were not as fat. The result was that it was very hard to throw a spiral, and they were awful to throw in any type of wind. The size was reduced after a few years, but was still a bit bigger than Yankee balls (no pun intended). However, the new Wilson balls are the same size as the NFL, and are fantastic to throw and catch. Good on the CFL!

A drop kick is actually when a player drops the ball like a punt, but it hits the ground before he kicks it. This would then be the same as a place kick, where if it goes through the goal posts 3 points are scored. While it is in the rule book, I have never seen it done in a game, and it probably hasn’t happened since before I was born.

Wnenever someone kicks the ball forward, only an opponent or an onside teammate (including the kicker) may touch it. All other players must be at least 5 yards away from the ball when it is first touched by an eligible player. I believe this also applies to drop kicks and place kicks. (Technically it even applies to kickoffs, but since all players on the kicking team must be onside when the ball is kicked, the “no-yards” rule doesn’t apply.)

Yup, listen to BigDave.

I doubt it would happen, but it would be interesting to see a player or a team that implemented the drop-kick into their game plan and actually find success with it.

I don’t get this …Isn’t the CFL field , almost the size of a soccer pitch?

We still get a point for punting/field kick , through the END ZONE?

Why does NFL football have 11 men when the CFL have 12?

Why is the NFL field smaller than , the CFL’S ?

MaGILL vs. Harvard …HARVARD won , with 11 to 12 men and in their own back yard.

The score was 9 to 10 … :smiley:

Ironically… CANADA introuduced FOOTBALL , N.A. style to the U.S…just like a Canadian invented BASKETBALL, and then managed to WIN this years… [2005]…NASH … NBA …MVP! :smiley:

The SUNS , won …again! :smiley: :lol: :wink:

ur just realizing this hellothere;

the only thing america invented was extreme sports, and they get minor credit. Football; Canada and England, Soccer; England, Baseball, England; Hockey, Canada, Basketball, Aztecs and Canada, Racing, European.

The NFL has fewer men on the field because it’s a smaller field.

I once read an argument against making NHL ice surfaces bigger, and the guy said it would show no extra skill, just more scrambling around randomly, which doesn’t require skill. The example he used to compare was the CFL field vs the NFL field. Well, he forgot to realize that the CFL uses ONE MORE MAN ON THE FIELD … idiot.

I believe soccer pitches can be up to 100 yds in length; CFL field is 110 yds (excluding endzones). I’m not sure how wide soccer fields can be.

The point for kicking the ball through the end zone (called a Rouge) has always been in the Canadian game … it’s traditional, and I love it: it’s one of the things that really separates our game from the American game.

And, drop-kicking a football is harder than drop-kicking a rugby ball. Rugby balls have much less pointed ends - and you drop the ball on its end when kicking it. There’s a much better chance the football will bounce some bizarre way after being dropped! Drop-kicks don’t even happen all that often in rugby (there’s plenty of them, but most of the scoring comes from penalty kicks, tries, and converts). I think trying one in a (football) game would be an excellent way to give the ball to the other team while denying yourself three points.

Actually CanucKev, you have it the wrong way around, the 11 men in Yankee ball came first which influenced the size of the field. The Americans didn’t bother keeping the same ratio of length to width when reducing the size (it would have been 100x58 or59 yards), they really screwed up when they made it 50 yards wide. That changed their who game as less room to run around the outsides and when the adopted the Canadian Burnside’s Rules (that introduced possession, downs, yard lines ,etc, BTW we always had 3 downs) they tried 3 downs to move the ball 5 yards and settled for 4 down to gain 10. That all combined, smaller field, more downs, etc influenced the way the game is played and why American football is so boring compared to Canadian football.

Actually, no. Both teams played with the same rules, but played two games…when they played with “our” rules, McGill won; when they played with “their” rules, Harvard won. Harvard liked our game so much, they introduced it to the US.

Cricket was not invented in the US, but baseball, which is derived from cricket, is attributed to American Abner Doubleday, though like hockey (which was invented in Canada), no one actually knows who invented the game.

Basketball was actually invented in the US, but by Aylmer, Ontario native James Naismith.

Basketball was first played in the US, doesn’t mean it was invented there (Naismith didn’t invent it right on the spot just before they played the first game).

Also there were no soccer pitches , because the Americans , at that time ,wanted to get away from all things ENGLISH.That is why McGill played on a smaller field in the U.S.

Actually he did, pretty much.

He was commissioned by the school to invent a game that could be played indoors during the winter months. Gotta keep these kids’ minds off harmful things…like GIRLS. (Funny basketball doesn’t keep players’ minds off girls anymore. :wink: )

It is really strange that a Canadian invented the game but [except for amature,womens]… that we missed the boat on that one. :cry:

The way I see it is that the CFL has a larger size field to open the game up. A single extra man doesn’t cover the 55 extra feet of width.

Soccer fields are FIFA regulated between 100 - 130 yards in length, and 50 - 100 yards in width. International FIFA pitches are between 110 - 120 yards long and 70 - 80 yards wide. They have since adopted meters as the main measure in soccer BUT all measurements are tailored to the English system (i.e. “9.144 m distance” is the official term instead of "10 yard distance.) Rugby and Australian Rules have completely converted to metric.

The point for kicking the ball through the end zone (called a Rouge) has always been in the Canadian game ... it's traditional, and I love it: it's one of the things that really separates our game from the American game.
:P A single point can make the game very odd, though. But if you consider every time you kick as a chance to score a rouge, then you'll be fine (the way that I deal with behinds in Aussie Footy).

Indeed. In the 10 years since rugby went professional, I think we’ve seen a staggering decrease in the number of drop goals per international game, something along the lines of a 85% decrease. Jonny Wilkinson has been an ace from 40m and brought back debate about the dropgoal since HE won England’s semi-final vs. France (24 - 7 = Eight goals [3 place, 5 drop] to one converted try). The drop KICK is still used for kickoffs and kicks from 25 yards from goal (the 22m line).

I have given this one some thought from time to time. I do like that fact that the punter (or anyone who is behind him when the ball is kicked), can recover the ball. And it would be great to see multiple laterals, but I expect this aspect of the game hasn’t been explored more because many of the coaches and half the players are American. As for the Rouge? I like it, but it shouldnt’t be allowed after the three minute warning…

The rules of the game shouldn’t change at the 3-minute mark; only the rules of timing.

Multiple laterals are as legal in the NFL as they are here. You don’t see it very often in either league, because each time a lateral is thrown, four things can happen (the player catches it and gains extra yards, the player catches it and gets tackled for a loss, the player drops it and it goes out of bounds, or the player drops it and an opponent recovers.) One good, two bad, and one very, very bad. The more laterals that are thrown the more likely it is that something bad will happen. With the narrower field in the NFL, there is less room to manoeuvre and gain yards, so the risk more than outweighs the benefit.