Re: My take on the Argos stadium situation

Procranstatated?

You expect to be taken seriously? :roll:

And what is a "significant" true fan?
I assume that I am an insignificant true fan. :roll:

The problem is , who ever thought the jays would be in the playoffs. LOL :smiley:

This has nothing to do with the Jays. Most stadiums have events booked. Rogers could have told MLB that the date was unavailable. This is Rogers being Rogers right to the end. Anyone surprised ?

But Rudge stated that the Argos knew that if the Jays made the playoffs this could happen. The MLB playoff schedule was cast in stone over 6 months ago and teams have to work around that. The Argos and Rudge would know that too.
The problem is, when do you decide to reschedule? There are so many games in baseball that the standings can change fast, mid September would be the deciding date and they still have 15 games left.

The Blue Jays are the No. 1 tenant in Rogers Centre and get priority. “We have been aware for some time that Rogers Centre might not be available to our team during the month of October should the Toronto Blue Jays make it into the MLB post-season,? said Argos CEO Chris Rudge. “Due to the tremendous success the Blue Jays have experienced this season, Rogers Centre officials informed us several weeks ago to begin seeking out alternative locations for some of our October home games. We targeted the Oct. 6 game to start and it has been a priority for us to communicate our plans early so that our fans and stakeholders can prepare. As an organization, our preference is not to have our team play back-to-back games in Ottawa. But this is an extraordinary circumstance and TD Place is available, CFL-ready and broadcast-ready.?
[url=http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/16/redblacks-get-bonus-home-game]http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/16/re ... -home-game[/url]

Supposedly not.
Apparently, the agreement with MLB is that their playoff dates are carved in stone for TV purposes, so their dates take precedence over all else.
Actually, MLB seems to be quite the PITA when it comes to its scheduling.
Remember that the Baltimore Orioles refused to reschedule one of their 81(?) home games when the Baltimore Ravens were to start the season on Thursday night after they won the Super Bowl the previous year? Arrogant, uncooperative SOBs in MLB imo.

The anger with Rogers though stems from the fact that they make no effort to accommodate the Argos during the MLB regular season. They pretty much force the Argos to take dates after the MLB regular season finishes, which is why the Argos have home games in every week in October. :roll:

Come one, now. Don't be so sensasative. :wink: We all think you're swell. :thup:

There may be some valid points in there, I didn't follow the situation closely enough to know, but that little dig against Toronto fans was unnecessary. I hated it when it was done to Ottawa fans and I don't like to see it to others. People who are continuing to support their team through such a frustrating patch should be commended for it, not ridiculed.

:thup:

In the end, this move will probably help the Argos bottom line.

I am looking forward to next season so we will never (well almost never) have to talk about Skydome again. I really hope the Argos new ownership can do what Ottawa's new ownership has been able to do by running the team professionally in a smaller stadium.

Agree Jukjeon, can't wait for the Skydome er Rogers Centre to be something of the past for the Argos. Coming soon and have to admit I wasn't sure that this would happen that the Argos will be in a football first stadium! :thup:

Besides, they've already tried the "neutral site" approach and it didn't work. The league wants to see butts in seats. Now this game is on a terrible night and catching people by surprise a bit so it probably won't sell out (though wouldn't it be something if it did?) but it'll look better than having it anywhere else.

I am curious about the financial aspect of it though. I heard something about Ottawa having to cover part of Toronto's travel, for example. I don't see why they would have to. Not their problem. but then they save on NOT having to travel when they really should so maybe those funds move to the Argos? No idea, but it's interesting.

Regretting clicking on that Link. What a POS 'article'.

OSEG is keeping the gate.

If the Pan Scam Games had any balls and any vision the Argo's wouldn't be in this situation now, they would be in their own 30,000 seat stadium in Toronto along with the Tiger-Cats in Hamilton.

What the heck is York University doing with a 12,000 seat stadium from the Pan Am Games anyway "World Class Lawn Bowling matches"?

The games organization had the money they could have constructed a new 30,000 seat Argo stadium somewhere in Toronto or Mississauga, Vaughn whatever had the opening ceremonies there, soccer in Hamilton and both cities and the CFL would have won in the long run.

Now tax payers are just sitting on another debt from the Liberals of Ontario of $2.5 Billion and counting for the highest price paid on any Pan Am Games of all times. Anything can be a success if you throw an unlimited budget at it like the Liberals of Ontario have done. Maybe Kathleen should sell off the OPP next to help pay for our bills.

If the Pan Scam Games had any balls and any vision the Argo's wouldn't be in this situation now, they would be in their own 30,000 seat stadium in Toronto along with the Tiger-Cats in Hamilton.

What the heck is York University doing with a 12,000 seat stadium from the Pan Am Games anyway "World Class Lawn Bowling matches"?

The games organization had the money they could have constructed a new 30,000 seat Argo stadium somewhere in Toronto or Mississauga, Vaughn whatever had the opening ceremonies there, soccer in Hamilton and both cities and the CFL would have won in the long run.

Now tax payers are just sitting on another debt from the Liberals of Ontario of $2.5 Billion and counting for the highest price paid on any Pan Am Games of all times. Anything can be a success if you throw an unlimited budget at it like the Liberals of Ontario have done. Maybe Kathleen should sell off the OPP next to help pay for our bills.

And yet when Rogers did not own the dome, scheduling was never a problem

Have to completely agree with previous post. Scheduling never seemed to be an issue prior to Rogers owning the dome. Jays went two years in a row to the World Series, and there was never anything about the Argos needing to find another home.

The conversion time went from less than 24 hours to 48 hours for converting between the two when the surface switched from the old giant rolls of basically carpet type Astro Turf to the infill type that takes way more time to make the changes to. Not Rogers fault.

I blame the University of Toronto myself. Everyone was ready to go and then they pulled the plug to build a music hall, they could have built anywhere else on the campus. Now the UFT Football program continues to be the joke of the OUA and Manitoba, McGill and Calgary are laughing at the revenue they are getting.

Please don't defend Rogers, Pat. They have done nothing but screw the Argos for the last few years. They could have given them better dates at the beginning of the season, so they wouldn't have the backlog of home games at the end of the season.

Rogers offer them the dates that are available after MLB comes out with their schedule.

If the Argos had to play at Rogers Centre in 2016 - the MLB schedule is already out for 2016 with it being such a complicated schedule to build incorporating 30 teams with 81 home games each it comes out well in advance. With that schedule already out I could tell you right now the Argos schedule would have been loaded up with games in October again next season - based on what dates are available after the baseball schedule is made.

It is not - nor has it ever been a big conspiracy to screw the Argos by Rogers in terms of home dates in spite of what some paranoid fans think.

If I am the CFL schedule maker and next year when I'm putting together my schedule for 2016 - were the Argos to still be playing in Rogers Centre the Argos home games would be:

If season starts June 24, 25, 26 weekend - Argos could open the season at home.

In July - one home game between Thursday July 14 - Sunday July 17. Jays are home the other 4 weekends in July

In August - one home game could be played between Thursday and Saturday August 4-6 (Jays are home on Monday the 8th - so Sunday would be out) - and another game between Thursday the 18th and Sunday the 21st

In September the Rogers Centre would be available over Labour Day weekend - but assuming the League would want to keep the classic in Hamilton Labour Day Monday that would mean the only available weekend would have been the September 16-18 weekend.

So that would have meant heading into October the Argos would have at most played 5 home games meaning they would have four home games still to be scheduled.

And that of course makes the assumption that Rogers Centre doesn't book anything else like a major concert on ANY of those odd weekends available to the Argos through June to September. Usually at least one other big event gets scheduled there with it being the main stadium in Canada's largest city so almost certainly we would face the same situation - with the Argos having 5 home games after October 1.

None of that scheduling of Rogers Centre has anything to do with 'trying to screw the Argos'. It is all the reality of trying to work around an MLB team's schedule in a stadium that takes 48 hours to convert between the two set-ups.

Fortunately that work around won't be necessary any longer with the move to BMO.

It is all the reality of trying to work around an MLB team's schedule in a stadium that takes 48 hours to convert between the two set-ups

Certainly is an excellent reason why no stadium should ever be built again looking to house both a baseball team and football team where much of the season of both teams overlap and not even talking about the sight-lines and “look” of such a stadium which has, at least in the past, ended up looking like a cereal bowl with much poorer sightlines for football than baseball.

Rogers is laughing though with what they paid for the Skydome, Blue Jays fans flock to the dome anyways with the bowl thingy so Rogers doesn’t have to even think about a new baseball stadium. In the end, while Montreal has been without an MLB team for many, many years and probably many to come, if the MLB push is so great in that city to get a team back, not attending the Expos at Olympic Stadium could turn out to be the catalyst for a new baseball specific stadium, interestingly enough. Make people miss the team for enough years as well part of this catalyst for a new stadium as well if they do get a team back. That logic works, look at the Jets as well, Baltimore Ravens etc.