Re-Assessing Mike O'Shea - 5 years in

What’s really funny is that I don’t drink myself! I never have. It was one of my personal forms of rebellion when I was in high school. I was so determined to be unique that I even rebelled against my own peer group!

I did work at Labatt’s with my father for four summers though and was therefore appointed the brewing/beverage company analyst for an investment firm after graduating from Western!

Well yeah! In comparison to my very old-school European father, you bet these drinkers of Madison Avenue tasteless beers are “wimps and sister boys.”

I disagree. “Troll” is fighting words.

Guilty as charged. My Foxhound internet persona is actually even edgier:

I’m going to have to change my avatar. The present one is too “gentle” thematically.

:wink:

I would hardly refer to you as 'edgier'. That's a laugh.

You don't drink beer because of some weird rebellion, yet you have no trouble telling others what to drink. How can you possibly know what any beer tastes like ?

Did you work at the Labatt's plant by the 401 off of Islington. Resources road I think ? I knew some guys who worked there.

One more thing. You do a lot of deflecting. Try to stay on topic and answer questions.

Canadians once sneered at Americans for drinking bland, tasteless beer. Canadians used to refer to these U.S. beers as “water”. This was in the day when Canadian football fans were all about the CFL and the NFL wasn’t even on their radar screens.

Do you not see the parallel? Does the increasing Americanization of Canada and Canadian culture not trouble you?

So in answer to your question, “Yes”. People can (and will) drink whatever beer they want, and follow whatever sports they want. They’re free to do so. This I understand. BUT, I’m also free to sneer at them and their tastes in response.

???

I don't like wine. I detest it. That doesn't mean I would ever have the gall to tell someone they are drinking the wrong kind of wine. What they drink doesn't concern me or bother me. AND if you won't answer my questions, I won't answer yours, so I guess we're done.... Funny our conversations always seem to end this way. Wonder why ?

Well I certainly seem to have ruffled your feathers (not that I was trying to do so).

Actually very sensible in many ways, and on the surface it would seem a “sensible” choice to most people. But the anti-social aspect of my choice was and is certainly there as well.

I understand terms such as “bitterness”, “crispness” i.e. lack of after-taste, “smooth” i.e. the opposite of “full-bodied/flavourful.” Intellectually maybe, but I understand them nonetheless.

No. I worked in the big original plant in London on the edge of the downtown area. The small plant by Islington and the 401 in Toronto was actually closed early this century.

Huh?! Which ones have I not answered? I’ve answered many questions, even ones that were way off topic.

???

You’re right. I’m in no position to dictate. But keep in mind that you most certainly won’t like my response(s) when I see the term “troll” used. (You were actually troubled when I called another poster a “jerk” for using the word “troll”.) So long as that’s understood there should be no problem then.

???

……Well I worked for Carlings back in the day …Redwood and Main …BUT unlike you I enjoyed the product they sold

……Hmmmmm Fox…you know my relatives in Europe used to set the hounds after a fox…Don’t care for the sport myself (if you can call it that) but just sayin’…Maybe I’m going to have to get the avatar of a hound…Now would that be too provocative??

Wow, no comments on this thread since Aug 27th?

Most fan basis would have given their coach a one way ticket to anywhere but here.

...you are such nice people.

No mass response to Mike O'Shea because Wad Miller only reacts to season ticket sales, walk-up sales, food & beverage sales and media sponsorships.

A few dozen fans dissecting the shortcomings of his head coach, GM & most of his coaching staff does not a decision make.

Next year will be the tell. So I've just given away the ending of this year's book. O'Shea will NOT be cut loose. Neither will Ky Walters, Richie Hall might be given a nice pay-out to retire early (he ain't gettin' work as a DC in this league, I assure you)

Next year comes with fresh promises of upgraded recruiting, free agent pursuit, more attentive film-watching and a refreshed on-field rah-rah attitude. Basically, the same spoon we been forked with last 28 years (aka Sporked)

Wad Miller loves these guys cuz they're totally compliant - none of them, including Sgt. Slaughter's cousin Mike O'Shea (aka Mountain Man) have the kahones to challenge the CEO in any aspect of football or business. Not Walters, Not O'Shea, Not Plop. Not a one!

The off-season will tell the final tale of this group of miscreants and football losers. If season tix next year fall substantially - ie. 2,000 or more, walkups fall 15% or more and sponsorship revenues decline by even 10% the team could be in trouble financially and Miller will be forced to make that long trek to Broadway to meet with Brian Pallister the current premier about some bridge loans and increased financing. NOTE: food & concessions are a simple function of attendance so if seas. tix go down 2,000 to 3,000 (or more) and walk ups fall, the food & concession income statement won't be a happy one!

That’s his job though, look after the team’s bottom line and make sure it’s healthy.

Looking after the health/quality of the football operations is the General Manager’s job. It’s a tough one too since in any given year half the GMs in the league are by definition below average and therefore not doing their job well.

???

I’m comin’ around Dan, I’m comin’ around . . . . besides, real friends, thru my experience don’t march around in lock step with each other - they tolerate each other’s views, challenge them when needed and listen to challenges on their own views. Its basically called being open-minded.

Trolls, on the other hand don’t have time for the little things (like getting to know people as anything other than avatars). Trolls attack, use vitriolic language and harsh name-calling. The design is to get everyone attacking everyone. Thus the term troll - most of the time they have high disdain for the website, not just a particular poster. Thats why I coach folks on various sites to recognize trolls, deal with them by by-passing them and not getting involved in food fights.

btw name-calling in the schoolyard is basically anti-PC, but it depends on whether the principal or chief security agent is old school.

Truth!

:wink:

Speaking as a Ticat fan, I think Walters has done a good job of assembling talent (players and coaches) for the Bombers...Winnipeg is now 100% more competitive overall than you were 3-5 years ago.

And O'Shea is definitely a step up from previous HC's. He seems to have the respect of the players.

That said, any team is only going to go as far as their QB will take them. To me, Nichols is basically another Glenn: he may do enough to get you into the playoffs, but he will never win it all. Nichols is a serviceable starter, but not an elite QB.

Streveler looks like he has potential to perhaps put the team on his back, but his learning curve may cost you a few more years of one step forward, two steps back. I think you are one elite QB away from really contending, but can't see Calgary, Edmonton or Hamilton letting Bo-Levi, Reilly or Masoli hit free agency any time soon.

Would Winnipeg trade for Manziel? And after his initial performances in the CFL/concussion issue, would they even be wise to?

No way would the Winnipeg board of directors approve a checkered personality like Manziel. Bombers are a team laden with buck privates - those who are too green to know anything other than taking orders. No time for sargeants, captains, lieut. colonels, majors, admirals & generals.
The self-appointed general is CEO Miller, The Drill Sargeant is O’Shea - everyone else, buck privates, couple lance corporals!

Waiting to see how the year ends. Then make a decision.

The real key to success in the CFL is proper roster development coupled to an above average coaching staff. Anything else sinks! Can't swim!

Bomber roster development has improved markedly every year of the Walters/Miller regime. However, when injuries happen to the first 24 or 25 guys - things get exposed! MASSIVELY X-POSED!

Nichols in a funk - no willingness to extract him. O'Shea seems steadfast in sucking Matt dry to the point where he'll barely be a scrap-heaper. Durant took the manila envelope stuffed with $75k and ran. Streveler has been an unexpected surprise (far more positives than negatives)

Hardrick goes down - the answer is to put a 6'6", 310 lb. hobo national (Neufeld) on the outside, the guy can barely move, totally exposed by hard-charging guys with tricks.

Dressler goes down - this is disconcerting; most CFL teams seem to have 2 to 4 guys each as good as or better than Darvin Adams - except us! Thats a problem. Youngsters like Cory Washington or NFL hobos like Thompkins aren't the answer. So why do we keep bringing guys like that up here?

Ian Wild - deteroriating
Santos-Knox - simply cannot cope with side to side speed
Leggatt - pretty much done, achilles obviously still hurting him
Randle - getting routinely beat
Front 4 D - whats left of it is brutally inadequate.

So other than o-line, d-line, QB, WRs, couple DBs, couple OLBs we got ourselves a heckuva team Brownie!

But very little of this has anything to do with O'Shea, does it? He doesn't bring in the players.

You toss the term “hobo” around willy-nilly, but it seems though that you never bother to check details such as the stats sheet before doing so. Kenbrell Thompkins has caught 22 passes for 364 yards in seven games so far this year. Unlike you I constantly check the stats and no rookie receiver has done better so far this year. Yet you’ve been calling him a “hobo” right from the start.

It’s as if you think WRs who can succeed in the CFL are everywhere for the taking. Well they’re not. Many are called, but only a very few do well. This is not surprising. It’s a different game here than the one played south of the border.

You might try thinking before you toss verbiage around in your posts.

::slight_smile:

Lyle just wants the bombers to lose so he can feel good.

Last nite’s bomber win was gratifying on several levels:

1 - Mike O’Shea took the battle of inferior head coaches vs. the completely flustered Mike Sherman, hands-down. O’Shea wasn’t particularly brilliant - he didn’t have to be - but he coached up a steady-eddy type game, played it by the book and made nearly zero fundamental mistakes. Only 1 turnover in the entire game - Manziel’s late pick.

2 - That was NOT a Richie Hall defense. Couldn’t believe the difference in the way the bombers shadowed Manziel and the Als. DB coverage was very good to brilliant at times.

3 - Hobo-Man (Thompkins) was the bombers best WR. Made some nice catches that seemed effortless. His best game as a bomber, no question!

4 - The bomber d-line (without Poop Johnson & Jethro Jeffcoat) were a tour de force but before anyone starts shouting Hall of Fame for these guys - consider who they played against - that was a gawdawful Als o-line, Craig “Death” Roh looked all-star w/ 3 sacks and 7 tackles. Where was that level of performance in first 12 games of season?

5 - Negatives. Play-wise there weren’t. Walby alluded to fact the bombers couldn’t put away with the Als when they had their foot on their throats. Nichols just couldn’t get it done. He was well above average in his rebound game and there was no time in the game where bomber fans were calling for his scalp (or O’Sheas)

6 - Negatives. Injuries. There were. Harris is civvies is disconcerting. I suspect he may be out 2, perhaps 3 games because Andrew never comes out of games unless he’s really, really hurt. He’s hurt. Bighill. Elbow type injury. Huge drop if bombers have to go from the toy bulldog, Adam Bighill to the lightish Ian Wild who possesses a great football mind but just doesn’t impact games like Bighill. Nic Demski also went down and thats never a good sign. Finally, it looked to me like the very slight Weston Dressler may have re-nicked himself after hard contact. We’ll know about Wednesday next week when the bombers resume practice. I suspect we won’t see Dressler on Wednesday. Who knows after that. the last nick was supposed to be a game - it took 3 or 4 and really hurt the team.

Bombers needed that win to stay in the hunt for 3rd in west, outside shot at running the table and nabbing 2nd. A loss would have put them out of the Top 3 western spots and in the mix with BC for crossover lords.

Lets see what they do vs. Magic Mike Reilly next week. We’ll see if that tight coverage vs. Montreal was a mirage - or for real. I really suspect more mirage than real but to win that game without Bighill, Harris, Demski & Dressler - thats gonna be a toughee - especially on the road in unfriendly Commonwealth.