Ray Lalonde Gone !

I like Mark too. Been with the team since the 95 Stallions but he's always been more of a behind the scenes guy. I'm curious how he'd fare as a frontman.

We still have 8 weeks before the home opener and pre-season doesn't count so plenty of time to turn things around.

I see a couple of names who are directors of the team. Neither of them would want to be president ?or would it be appropriate? Jacques Menard and Philippe de Gaspe Beaubien III.

Now why would multi-multi millionaires one of them born into money want a 14 hour a day job ? but if you look at the Als main corporate sponsors… these two have ties to all of them. They are the guys that have brought in these partners But we need more guys like these two. We need a dozen. That’s what Bob Ackles did in BC and what Rudge is trying to do in Toronto.

ok, so just find whoever was the waterboy for the als in the 50s and make it so. :stuck_out_tongue:

i was in Cowansville last friday for fundraising supper for ALS and met a guy who’s pals with Pierre Desjardins. According to wiki he’s on the board of directors of Labatt,Domtar and Imperial Tobacco. We could have free cigarettes day at the stadium. :lol:

woops. missed the 'previously serving' part. oh well, I don't smoke anyway.

The Bert weighs in :roll:

I hate these guys who only write when there is something ugly that happens....

http://www.rds.ca/alouettes/chroniques/340337.html

See? He’s the one who told me to tell you Eric Lapointe. Blame him. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though not a bad analysis of the situation. I liked Pierre Vercheval’s passionate diatribe on rds monday. Man was he miffed and with good reason. If this team goes what is he going to do in the summer?

I agree with Hfx though that Eric is not the best choice from a business perspective. Only from a possibly getting some regular folk back in the stands and put a happy smiley face on the team perspective. :expressionless:

So Bert, AC still the Carey Price of the Als? :roll:

Oh yeah and happy birthday to Kerry Watkins today. That 2009 grey cup catch in the dying seconds still the best play he will have ever made.

Bujold in La Presse writing the Als have started negotiations on Tresman`s extension.

The sticky part is going to be the out clause he is probably seeking for potential NFL, NCAA head coach opportunities.

Very good news.

The sticky part is going to be the out clause he is probably seeking for potential NFL, NCAA head coach opportunities.
I can understand NFL opportunities, but NCAA? Trestman already has a very sweet gig here, he's well-paid and gets to spend six months per year back home with his family in Carolina. If he re-ups with us, it should preclude NCAA opportunities for the life of the contract. Unfortunately, he has leverage in these negotiations -- with Milanovich now in Toronto, we don't have a viable in-house replacement for him. Maybe in 3-4 years Brady will be ready, but until then, we pretty much have to give Marc what he wants and hope like hell he isn't snapped up by a team down south.

Normally I would categorize that under the “Wants his cake and eat it too” but in his case he deserves to have job security and flexibility to leave. What he’s saying is if I am going to coach in the CFL I want to be here but if an opportunity of a lifetime comes around I want to have the choice.

Makes sense to me if the price is fair.

Some big school programs can be as lucrative as an NFL Head Coaching job.

I am skeptical about a few things. This meddling in the football operations especially. Ray may be a lot of things but he’s a smart guy. Is asking for camp to be closer to Montreal or asking his GM to try and acquire Giguere interference or more a request to help sell football ? I can’t wait to hear the other side of the story. Lalonde’s been accused of all kinds of stuff and he will be asked his version of these. Its to the point where he is pretty much forced to clear his name.

I am not saying the accusations are not true but I find the truth is always in the middle somewhere.

If Jim Popp has that gentleman`s agreement with Mr. Wetenhall it is hard to rationalize not giving it to Trestman also.

But there should be a window, say between Dec. 1 & Jan. 30.

And as much as we love having him here, the more he has been away from the NFL the less of a flavor of the month he becomes. I frankly feel unless he wins a Grey Cup or 2 here, his NFL window of opportunity has already closed. And a Grey Cup or 2 would be a good tradeoff for having him leave.

One of the Popp/Lalonde sticking points apparently was Lalonde asking reporters to go through the Als PR guy when trying to get in touch with Popp. Popp was against this.

Don`t really know whose side to take on this.

My son has a bachelor in Public Relations. Is fully employed with a well know IT firm and working on his Master’s degree in PR at MSVU. After explaining to him this issue and the background story. Here is his answer.

There are a few benefits to the organization to have media requests put through your PR department. The first is tabulating the requests which gives you precious information on flow, who is making requests and who is not. Helps control “the message”, identifies when employees are going to the media = LEAKS. In this case where “relationships” are longstanding with a trusted employee it is a bad business move to force this and should only be done when trust has been established and your key emplyees buy the benefits. This can take time, sometimes can’t be done…

On my part I can see both men’s point of view. Lalonde is trying to acquire some important information and to give some professionalism to the team and for Jim it could be interpreted as mistrust, annoying and unnecessary. However like the PR guy says. It has to be handled very delicately and in time. It certainly isn’t a necessity.

Match: Jim Popp

Don`t want to hammer the guy, but the strangest quirk we heard about Lalonde was his not allowing family photos in workstations.

Is there some sort of business school reason for this or was he spending too much time with Pierre Gauthier when with the Habs?

Bob Wetenhall wanted Professional marketing over Smith's Promotional marketing. Well he got it in a big way and to the extreme with Ray Lalonde. On paper this kind of severe professionalism can work with a team that's always selling out like the Habs but the Als were a different bird and Ray failed to grasp that. I'm not saying bring Smith back but hopefully Bob now has some appreciation for what Larry brought to this team. We need someone in between. Professional and compassionate.

Honestly though the Habs could use Ray again because his absence was sorely felt in their promotional and marketing schemes. Everything with the Habs this year was just bland starting with the opening game player presentation. Ray definitely did good with the Habs in that department and it was nice to see a little of it with the als for one year.

Without seeing the desks its hard to say. Maybe he was using it as the reason to keep it simple if employees was abuse. I had a boss on my first job who was a muscle car nut and Raiders fan. His office was so cluttered you had to move the nick nacks to sit. How do you tell the plant nut or the fish lover the stuff has to go ? Maybe you say no personal stuff on the desks. Maybe he said it can hang on the wall but you can’t have it clutter the desks. Maybe the cleaning staff was using it as an excuse not to clean properly… I don’t know but its hard to imagine a successful and educated guy being a complete moron.

I can tell you I certainly do. I was very harsh on Smith and I understand now why things were the way they were. I just hope the next guy gets an honest title. Probably something like Vice President Business Operations and Wetenhall should wear the President title since all the key guys have a direct line to him.

And Eric Lapointe is not interested "At this time"...

[url=http://www.montrealgazette.com/Former+Alouette+%C3%89ric+Lapointe+flattered+looking/6626965/story.html]http://www.montrealgazette.com/Former+A ... story.html[/url]