Raptors play-by-play man Matt Devlin makes his CFL debut

-- Raptors play-by-play man Matt Devlin makes his CFL debut. Devlin is no stranger to the pigskin, having done several Big 10 games, but his foray into three-down football is a first.

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/26/argos-alouettes-gameday]http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/26/ar ... es-gameday[/url]

Matt is a good guy with a wealth of experience, Raptors TV play-by-play announcer, NBA on TNT and Big Ten Network Football

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Devlin_(sportscaster)

Welcome Matt to the CFL !! :thup:

As a kicker for the Argos?

I had no idea Matt Devlin had commentated football games before. This can only be a positive, as there's no way he's as bad as Rod Black.

I tell ya, the Olympics should happen more often. :thup:

Not much better then Black, as when flipping during the season on TSN, he put me to sleep as well as the Raptors.

Seems decent

He's had a few Patrick Swayze moments, but overall — "MONtreeALL" — he's done a good job, and he'll only get better with practice. His voice is a lower pitch has more gravitas than the other TSN bingo callers. :thup:

I think he did very well for his first game, was very prepared and new the CFL game. :thup: :thup:
Good Job Matt !!

i wish this guy was a regular CFL play caller.

Yes he did a great job!!

he did alright by me.

This guy is a pro, he was pulling stats and comments out of no where, i was impressed, he certainly did his research and was very well prepared, we will see how he does tonight in Calgary. :thup: I dont think he had one Rod Black comment, Oh !except the Patrick Swazie comment, but that was funny !! :lol:

He gets the thumbs up from me. :thup:

The only thing that really stood out for me was the way he pronounces Montreal, which is to say like an American. That's not a criticism, just an observation. He has evidently learned how to pronounce "Torono", but "MuntreALL" needs a little work. He only needs to listen to Climie and Schultz and mimic them to fit right in :wink:

I thought he was great. He told us who had possession, what down it was, how many yards to go, in short he gave us play by play. He didn't talk about someones grandma from Peoria like some of theses guys do !

I agree 100%. He even had more excitement in his voice about the game itself at the breaks.

The only thing I noticed was that was unfamiliar with how the clock works in the CFL. At the end of the half last night, he kept saying that the Toronto player needed to get out of bounds to stop the clock so they could get another play off. He’ll learn. And yes, definitely better than Rod Black.

Going out of bounds does stop the clock. I believe both teams had no time outs left, so when you go out of bounds the clock stops even when the ref blows the play back in so they can take there time and snap the ball. otherwise if you dont go out of bounds as soon as the ref blows the next play in the clock starts.

The play started with four seconds on the clock, took three, leaving one on the clock for a possible field goal. But he seemed to be concerned that the one second left would run off the clock before the snap, which in the States would have happened. But in the CFL, the play gets to go ahead as long as there is time left when it's whistled in, so no problem.

Moot point, though, as the play Toronto ran had absolutely no chance of advancing the ball far enough to get in field goal range in the four seconds left. Maybe the primary receiver would have worked, but not the screen to Owens.