Rant about the BC Lions Football club and BC Place Security

To make a long story short:

I purchased 12 tickets for the last game of the reg. season vs. the Bombers. It was a birthday present for my dad because he is a huge bombers fan. Well we got to the game and there was a group of 6 young males sitting behind us and because 3 people in our group were wearing Bomber jerseys they decided to heckle us to the most extreme. They were not even true BC fans. They didn't know who was scoring the touchdowns, players’ names, etc. (I know more about the Lions than they do and I like the Riders and the Bombers!!). Anyway these guys were trying to pick a fight with the male members in our group the whole game and in the third quarter I had enough and went and got security (twice). They did nothing!!! They came up and asked the guys if they were behaving themselves and left it at that. After that the heckling got way worse and at the beginning of the third they tried to fight my husband (6 on 1). After that security finally kicked them out of the game (I guess my 2 complaints to them that something like this would happen was not enough). The head security guy around our section came up to me after all of this and said "Sorry I didn't believe you; we should have done something sooner". I missed the second half of the game, trying to get security to do something and then the near beating of my husband. I paid over 700 bucks organizing this and everyone in the group missed the 4 quarter and I missed half the game. I contacted a few people in the club and they did nothing. No apologies, no replacement tickets for a game next season, nothing.

Unlike these bandwagon jumpers that have ruined my respect of the Lions football club, I am a true fan. I go to games. I go the Labour Day game in Regina; I have gone to games in Winnipeg, Calgary, and Edmonton. Nothing has ever got this bad (heckling wise). Even the Labour Day game in Regina when the Riders play the Bombers, I have never seen such lack of personal safety like I saw that game in BC. They tried telling me that it’s a long way home to Winnipeg….. I don’t live in Winnipeg, I live in BC. I go to at least 3 games a season (I live 5 hours away). I could go see games in Calgary for the same amount of driving time but I don’t, I have tried to support this province, and guess what they don’t care. I have heard of other complaints from Riders fans getting kicked out for far less intense things (with no warning and a written up fine on top). They don’t want other teams fans at the games!!

The BC Lions club better start realizing how important prairie fans going to the games are. There is always tons of green in the crowd when they play the Riders for example. And I heard on the radio that they ended up selling around 10,000 extra tickets when the Riders beat the Stamps in the semi-final. We come to watch the other teams but I for one am going to go to Calgary next year for my games and forget about supporting BC. If they can not listen to my concerns and worse do nothing about them then there is really no point to give them my money. :thdn: :thdn:

THAT'S making a story short?? :?

No kidding lol

[quote="keyboe"]To make a long story short:
Unlike these bandwagon jumpers that have ruined my respect of the Lions football club, I am a true fan. The BC Lions club better start realizing how important prairie fans going to the games are. There is always tons of green in the crowd when they play the Riders for example. quote]

1. The Lions don't control stadium security, or pretty much anything that happens at BC Place Stadium, so ranting on the Lions board and blaming the club doesn't help.

2. Stop complaining about 'bandwagon' fans: Winning creates opportunities for a team to grow its fan base. It's the CFL, not the Masonic Lodge.

3. Why should the Lions care about prairie fans going to games? Are they a prairie team? Are they leaving Vancouver to move to the prairies? The Lions should be in the business of caring about BC fans attending BC Lions games.

A few years ago, we had fans sitting in front of us using language that would make a sailor blush. I told security, which did nothing. I found a security supervisor that took their sweet time comming to our section. It wasn't until we went to the BC Place main office and threatened to call the BC Lions direct that they did anything.

I followed up with a letter to the Lions,(Who sent me an apologetic reply) and I've noticed this year that the one time there was a problem in our section, security dealt with it very quickly.

I know that this is slightly off topic, but what's the big deal about swearing at a game? I try my best to maintain my composure at a game and be considerate if there's kids around me, but to not expect people to swear is a bit ridiculous IMO. What are we supposed to do? "Ah Fiddlesticks!! A fumble on a potential game winning drive! Shucks! Darn!" "Kerry Joseph is a pooh head!" Anways, that was my mini rant.

I’m not sure why this woman should get a hard time here. Her group was majorly inconvenienced by some childish bozos.

Last year, didn’t the Lions/BC Place do an announcement and display the number that fans witnessing abusive behaviour could call on their cell? Much better than going to find the security guys. They were aware of the problems. You can’t grow the fan base if people are reluctant to bring their kids.

My brother from winnipeg was with us at the game in question and he too got a lot of heat from the dummies in front of us. Those guys just got up and left during the 3rd quarter, great fans!!

security is excellent now at bc place then they even where in the mid 80's,i think when bc place opened in 83, security had no clue what was going to happen in thestands then, but know they are reading, and do an excellent job, no problems in the last few years when i have gone, and if there were they would be there in seconds not minutes.

First off, let me offer a helpful response. Phone the BC Lions at the downtown office (not Surrey) and ask specifically to speak with Bob Ackles or George Chayka. Mr. Chayka is in charge of business development and I'm sure they will help.

Well first of all according to this posters own account, they didn't do 'nothing' , they threw the offending group out but she's still po'd as though they they didn't do that. Sounds like an individual security person miss-judged after talking to the offenders , but second time they acted. They weren't perfect but to say some of the things she is about how the Lions should have given her free tickets or whatever ,well sorry, but I say hogwash. She discredits herself somewhat as maybe a disgruntled fan because her team lost by carrying it to far and blaming the team . The security(their job , not the teams) acted and even apologised to her , but still she says they did nothing.

This wasn't the BC Lions doing something wrong as she's saying , just not a perfect security , I bet you could get fans' stories like this from any stadium in the league , that is the general public in the stands no matter where you go . I bet the Cops get complaints all the time about not being perfect too. In this world you don't always get things just the way you want , that's life.

pennw... it seems every time you write something its gold. Once again, I couldn't agree more with you.