Rank the GMs

Where do you rank the GMs?

Mine are:

John Hufnagel: Pretty easy choice. Great stockpile of players, especially QBs. Developed and implemented a QB succession plan. No drama. And has developed a coaching succession plan. Head and shoulders the best.

Wally Buono: Its easy to criticize him but he is in the midst of recreating the Lions for the 4th time. He doesn't go to cast offs and has a steady hand.

Kent Austin: Early yet but he certainly has a vision and knows how to get there. And he keeps his right hand man Tillman hidden from sight.

Kyle Walters: Maybe too high for now but he has rebuilt the culture of the Bombers. Seems very hardworking and has made some great moves.

Jim Barker: gets a lot of criticism as a poacher. But unfounded. Somehow has kept that team rolling.

Ed Hervey: Getting over his anger issues maybe. Weird media relations but has seemingly worked well with his coach. Certainly the team is better.

Brendan Taman: Hard to judge him. Keeps making short term trades. Tied his wagon to Cory Chamblin who I think is a lunatic.

Jim Popp: Just a horrendous past 3-4 years. Hawkins hire, refusal to step down as coach creating delay, distraction and drama. The 3D GM. Foolish hype signings in Chad Johnson, Sam. Now getting credit for signing CFL cast offs. Most overrated GM in CFL.

Pierre Dejardins: So far, not so good. Big mistake was pissing off Glenn. Huge mistake.

The only purely objective order...

Austin

Barker

Buono

Desjardins

Hervey

Hufnagel

Popp

Taman

Walters

I trust I don't have to explain the rationale for this ordering. :wink:

Hufnagel below Buono and Desjardins? You have got to be kidding. Desjardins was 7-29 in the 2 years he was GM of the Ticats, and 2-16 in his first one as GM of the Redblacks. And after working on his roster this offseason, they were blown out in both preseason games already. Sure it's only preseason and not all your starters are playing or playing much, etc etc , but being outscored 63-19 is not a great way to head into a new season and appears a step back from their preseason showing last year. Actually it reminds me a lot of Tim Burkes last year as Bombers head coach where we were outscored in preseason 76-6 and ended up going 3-15 on the year.

Kyle Walters rebuilt a decrepit Joe Mack/Tim Burke team into one that almost matched Desjardins career win totals in his first year. Buono as a GM I think has take a step backwards. Since Lulay's gone down the QB situation has been a mess. He was blessed with a steady Oline group year after year but as they have been retiring one by one the last 3-4 years he hasn't exactly done a masterful job rebuilding it. And this year it looks like Tedford has taken the reins here a bit and brought in a lot of NCAA guys he's familiar with.

Mine would be:

Austin

Hufnagel

Barker

Hervey (and let's face it, this is mostly Chris Jones since he's come aboard because Hervey didn't really accomplish much before Jones came on).

Buono

Popp

Walters

Taman

Desjardins

lol why Taman gets no respect despite having a team near the top of the league is beyond me. Certainly requires a bit more recognition then second from the bottom.

I guess the whole alphabetical order went right over the wolverine :wink:

Darn it! Sure did :oops: It must have been the lack of blood flow to the brain from the shock of seeing Desjardins' name anywhere other than the bottom of that list.

True enough, he did win a cup just 2 years ago. He should be higher, behind Jones..I mean Hervey. The middle group in a lot of ways is pretty interchangeable.

Franklly I'm really looking forward to this year and seeing the crop of new talent some of these GMs have brought it. The depth of the draft I think has really shown itself early in the preseason as a number of the draft picks have acquitted themselves well.

I have to just shake my head at these orders putting Taman near the bottom. His teams have gone to the Cup three times since he has been acting GM since 2009 (even though Tillman was the GM of record in 2009, he was on paid leave and Taman was running the show). Has secured some HUGE all-stars in his tenure and has done very well in the draft.

Meanwhile you guys are putting Barker on a pedestal who has gone and won the GC once, had his teams even make it to the division final one other time and has missed the playoffs or died in the semi the rest of the time.

To me, Hufnagel is in a class by himself, with Austin a distant second, a bunch in between (Popp, Buono, Walter, Desjardins, Taman, Hervey, not in any particular order), and Barker at the bottom.

It's pretty hard to rank GMs. I mean for example Ed Hervey had a couple of disastrous years with the Esks, and I'm pretty sure he was close to getting fired and they hire Chris Jones and were very good last year. Did he really improve a lot, or was it mostly the coach?

In my mind it's Huf and Austin, and nobody else has really stood out. I give Barker a bit of a pass because he's got limited resources to work with in Toronto.

I know what you mean about Hervey. But to me the most important thing a GM has to do is to hire the right coach. And while I had my doubts about Jones the choice seems solid.
Taman probably deserves a higher ranking y me I just have grave doubts about Chamblin. Could be wrong on that but that is my stumbling block on him.

I don't know how you guys can rate Buono so low. GM wise the stands in a class of his own. 5 Grey Cup wins in 8 appearances, 12 western titles and he has always been able to find talented fresh blood and know when to release the old dogs (and usually suckers another team into a lucrative deal to get those old dogs).

at the end of the day, I bet they are all rank

I put Barker ahead of Taman for the simple fact he does more with less. Barker was handcuffed in the offseason by the mess that was the Braley ownership and a horrendous scheduling thanks to Rogers. Yes he managed to snag Shea Emery but he hasn't had the ability to dip into the top tier FAs like some other GMs. In fact, Emery and Scott Mitchell have been the only 2 FA acquisitions he's been able to make in the last 2years and both were last year. Meanwhile, he's lost as much or more than most of his own FAs to the NFL and FA departure. Barker also gets bonus points on fleecing the Esks to obtain Ray and make everyone forget the Cleo Lemon era. He also brought in and developed Collaros into a hot enough prospect that it made Henry Burris expendable in Hamilton.

Taman has been successful, for sure, but working for the Riders has it's perks. The finances in the Riders organization allow him to be more competitive signing and retaining FAs and even allows him to go over the cap since the financial penalty is peanuts compared to the profits that team makes. Not that he goes crazy in FA, but knowing he can go up to and a tad over the cap if he needs to to keep the guys he wants goes a long way towards maintaining some roster stability. And if you don't have to overhaul your roster every off season then it's a lot easier to maintain success.

It's one thing to look at compare post season appearances, division titles, and championships but sometimes those aren't the only measures. A lot of what makes a successful GM IMO is how they handle adversity over the course of the season. Let's take 2014 just as an example. Sask starts the season 7-2. After Durant goes down, Taman's response as GM is to sign Kerry Joseph. It quickly became clear neither Joseph or Sunseri was capable of leading the team yet Taman seems to freeze and doesn't make another move, squandering the hot start as the Riders finish off the season 3- 6, fall to 3rd in the division, and lose a home playoff game. And this happened despite adding Weston Dressler back into the lineup which really should have really propelled the team. Meanwhile, Baker spent a lot of 2014 trying to deal with receiver issues, having lost Dontrelle Inman from the year before and then losing both Owens and Durie to injury early in the season. When a couple of the rookies looked liked duds early on he kept tinkering to bridge the gap until Owens returned and Chiles got healthy once again. Barker's moves helped the team rebound from a 3-6 start to finish 5-4 down the stretch. So which GM helped his team and which one hurt his team down the stretch last year?

Lol, every single team, every year, is right at the cap. They all have the same capability in terms what they can afford. If you think going over a cap to what works out to be roughly equivalent to each player receiving an extra $25 a week (whopping extra $5 a work day) then there definitely something wrong with the management of the organization. I guess that extra burger at the food truck made all the difference.

It's one thing to look at compare post season appearances, division titles, and championships but sometimes those aren't the only measures. A lot of what makes a successful GM IMO is how they handle adversity over the course of the season. Let's take 2014 just as an example. Sask starts the season 7-2. After Durant goes down, Taman's response as GM is to sign Kerry Joseph. It quickly became clear neither Joseph or Sunseri was capable of leading the team yet Taman seems to freeze and doesn't make another move, squandering the hot start as the Riders finish off the season 3- 6, fall to 3rd in the division, and lose a home playoff game. And this happened despite adding Weston Dressler back into the lineup which really should have really propelled the team. Meanwhile, Baker spent a lot of 2014 trying to deal with receiver issues, having lost Dontrelle Inman from the year before and then losing both Owens and Durie to injury early in the season. When a couple of the rookies looked liked duds early on he kept tinkering to bridge the gap until Owens returned and Chiles got healthy once again. Barker's moves helped the team rebound from a 3-6 start to finish 5-4 down the stretch. So which GM helped his team and which one hurt his team down the stretch last year?
When Weston came back, he didn't even have a full game back with DD. In case you forgot, Saskatchewan also had their fair share of receiver issues as well with their star receivers with Tamans tenure. Getz got pretty banged up a few times, Bagg was out for a couple of seasons, Dressler sitting on the sidelines with a broken leg during the GC, Caits going down, the loss of star defensive backs to the NFL, and also brought in the Bombers future starting QB. When they wanted DD to take the reigns he brought in a line that could protect him well (how many times has RR been injured in his time with Toronto?).

Meanwhile Barker's team has been playing in the weaker division of the league during his tenure and hasn't had a lot of success (2012 the lone exception).

It's odd that you compare Chamblin and Jones that way, considering that out of the 2 as head coaches, Chamblin has a ring.

Back to the topic at hand, I think coaching plays a bigger role than the GM honestly in a teams success. You look at how quickly the Ticats turned this around once Austin came on board, same with Jones, and Huf in Calgary.

Keep in mind that Austin has the benefit of also having Eric Tillman on his crew which is probably contributes to a lot of Austin's GM capability.

Both Hufnagel and Austin are also the GMs of their teams.

I think the GM sets the path for a team’s long term success. Coaches come and go. Outside of Hufnagel, Milanovich is the longest serving head coach in the league right now and he is just entering his 4th year. GMs often last for decade(s).

I realize that Chamblin has a ring. I just think he’s on a self combustion course. Blowing up his total coaching staff this year has me convinced that he will not last long.

But teams need talent and partnership in both areas. Just that usually its the GM who makes the decision as to who will coach.

All that was a long time ago. I respect the hell out of Wally's accomplishments but he's not the best GM in the league today.

I don't know what to laugh at first: Your evaluation of Glenn or the fact that your evaluation of the GM didn't get past getting his first name right. :wink:

Here he is :lol: Marcel's brother !!!