Ranek

Does anyone know the status of Josh Ranek? Picked up my Ranek gold jersey about 2 hours before kick off and.... :frowning:

From what it said in the Spec it was more of a Charlie Horse and was probably more precautionary that he left the game.

Great...thanks borehamgirl. :rockin:

Charlie horse injuries don’t usually occur in the calf area. . . Do they?
Saw him on the news tonight with his calf wrapped. A pulled or torn calf muscle could be indicated here and since I currently have one myself, I can attest to the fact that they can be very painful and easily reaggravated.
Perhaps it’s similar to a charlie horse.
Holmes will likely have to do triple duty again on Saturday, although word has it that Josh might be ready to go.

I don't know where the term "charlie horse" originated but I've always associated it with a deep bruise to the calf or thigh muscles.
I don't know what kind of a horse Jonathan Brown's bruise was.

Marshall said in an interview that Ranek got kicked in the leg just a bit above his ankle, presumably in the calf area, and that he had a bruise and muscle spasm because of it. It would be just like a charlie horse except lower on the leg. Nothing unusual with that. As someone who has spent years waking up with calf cramps in the middle of the night, I can tell you that a muscle spasm in that area is damn painful. Get well soon, Josh.

Thanks DoubleBlue! You probably make a good point. I always associated the "Charley Horse" terminology to a bruised thigh, but you mention the possibility of calf involvement as well.
This likely explains why the media refers to Ranek's injury as a charley horse.Either way, calf or thigh, they're painful and need time to rehab.

and here i was associating it with something wrong in the hammy. meh

Thanks for the information in the previous posts.

Josh appeared to be running freely at practice.

If he just was kicked above his ankle,
as AJB1 quoted Greg Marshall as saying,
he should just have some bruising.

and he should be good to go on Saturday.

P.S.

A Charlie Horse is a cramp NOT CAUSED BY A BLOW TO THE MUSCLE.

[ so many people misuse this term, it has driven me nuts for years ]

{Wikipedia} A Charlie Horse is [also] a painful cramp that can occur in the calf, thigh, foot, arm, or buttocks. Potassium, found in bananas, is a common cure for these sudden and painful cramps.

Ron, How dare you report that a player looked good at practice?

:o I learned something today. All these years, since I was a kid, I always thought it was a blow to the thigh muscle.

Cool!

I threw off the psychological shackles that have been restricting me Crash,

and gave in to an impulse to share my joy at seeing Josh running freely.

It felt like unleashing an excited puppy within myself and letting it run free.

It was exhilarating.

P.S.

Be thankful that I don't have mad dogs
or demons within myself to unleash, Crash.

Hey if you're going to quote something quote the WHOLE thing so as not to give people a false education :smiley: The term Charley Horse IS more commonly used to mean a blow to the thigh.

From Wikipedia...

[i]In medical parlance, a charley horse is a painful contusion of the quadriceps muscle of the anterior thigh that commonly results in a muscular hematoma and sometimes several weeks of pain and disability.1,2 It often occurs in sports when an athlete is struck by an opponent's knee, in a manner not unlike the kick of a horse, perhaps the reason for its name. In the UK, such an injury is known as a corky, or corkie.

In recent decades the term has also been used to describe painful leg cramps, which may occur in the thigh, arch of the foot, calf muscle, or quadriceps.
[/i]

I "googled" and found information that more than 100 years ago

baseball players coined the term "Charley Horse"

for the cramps they got in their tired, overworked leg muscles.

This is not what happened to Josh Ranek.

"Charley Horse" is what this condition was called 60 years later
when I was taking courses for my Phys Ed. degree,

click here

then, at some point since, I start hearing people call
a completely different condition a Charley Horse.

Somebody has lost there way.

Me or them? :?

Take your pick, Tuck.

For my preferred name for the injury Josh Ranek suffered click here

Well, I think we've covered this.