Quinton Porter Released !

[url=http://en.montrealalouettes.com/article/alouettes-release-eleven]http://en.montrealalouettes.com/article ... ase-eleven[/url]

MONTREAL - The Alouettes announced the release of the following eleven players on Friday:

PLAYERS RELEASED

80 Damone Blackman Receiver Non-import
83 Michael Campbell Receiver Import
69 Matt Cleveland Guard Import
3 Phillip Livas Receiver Import
45 Mike Lockley Defensive end Import
00 Cyril Obiozor Defensive end Import
76 Scott Paxson Defensive tackle Import
15 Quinton Porter Quarterback Import
0 B.J. Scott Defensive back Import
49 Devon Torrence Defensive back Import
23 Seth Williams Cornerback Import

The club may announce more transactions before tomorrow's deadline for setting the roster, which is set for 10 p.m. on Saturday, June 22.

Paging Dr.Mopar...

Porter to Peg or Esks?

LOL, was just about to post the same comment. I wish him well.

I did not see that coming, Montreal had better hope that Calvillo stays healthy, because Neiswander stunk up the place. My immediate though would be Winnipeg to backup Buck or he could get the start in Edmonton.

Looks like Reilly in Edmonton has the job, he looks like their starter.

[url=http://sports.ca.msn.com/top-stories/reilly-excels-as-esks-beat-lions-27-22-1]http://sports.ca.msn.com/top-stories/re ... ns-27-22-1[/url]

While Porter didn't make it in MTL, a more recent TC castoff may, in a fashion:

[url=http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2013/06/21/alvarado-looks-good-but-als-to-stick-with-whyte/]http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2013/0 ... ith-whyte/[/url]

I agree with you Hammer. Porter almost brought the Als back in the game against Hamilton. Meanwhile, Neiswander could get nothing done, and he’s been with the team for sometime. I understand there’s a new coaching staff, playbook and all, but still…Porter was also a starter at one time in the east in this league. I find the decision a little puzzling.

Reilly got the job. Perhaps, somewhat by default as Nichols is out for the year and the backups wouldn’t be able to challenge.

Who knows why coaches make these decisions. We see the QB in part of one game for 10 minutes or so and he looked good, but the coaches see him every day in practice and see things we don't see. There is too much talent in the NCAA and there is always someone that shows up with better potential.

Potential is a good thing. But that’s why they play these exhibition games. Practices and old gamefilms can tell you something. However, game conditions (even preseason) are the real teller. That should be the ultimate clue. Can he produce when everything is at full speed and there’s more on the line.

It was only 10 minutes. Porter still produced 2 touchdowns in that time and almost won the game for them. He was under more pressure than the other guy, and did a lot more.

No wonder Kyle Quinlan stayed home!!

I still like Quinton Porter and feel he has the ability in this league and gaining the maturity. I wonder if he could come back this way and be a back up to Burris? You never know in the CFL??

I would think a good fit might be Winnipeg though Buck Pierce has had so many concussions that the next one he gets will likely end his career, Goltz sucks, Hall and Clements are no match for the CFL so maybe a good opportunity to play and be a starter in Winterpeg??

To be fair to the Winnipeg backups, Burke didn’t give them much to work with as far as talent is concerned and they likely were running a generic offense. So, some of their results should be laid at the feet of their head coach…

According to cfl.ca, Porter asked for his release ...

The team signed free agent Quinton Porter as insurance, but the veteran pivot asked for his release when it became clear he wouldn't get the backup role ahead of third-stringer Josh Neiswander and impressive newcomer Tanner Marsh

interesting that the Als would choose two inexperienced backups over Porter on the depth chart.

or perhaps this was just the perception of QP?

If it were just his perception, do you not think that Popp would have corrected him when he asked for his release?

Very interesting indeed.

And still no word on any interest from other teams that are short on experienced QBs? I guess all teams are looking at developing their own BS. Or is it the Ottawa factor coming into play, that there’s no point in having two experienced QBs this year, knowing that one will probably be gone next year?

It is possible that Popp may have not given Porter a guarantee that he would be the designated #2 which lead QP to ask for a release.
I don’t know…

Both Neiswander and Marsh did not necessarily have an outstanding pre-season which is why this is perplexing.

Popp always makes it a point in his “signing speech” to tell a player he still has to make the team. He gave him 30k up front. So the expectation was that Quinton would be the #2 QB when he was signed. For what ever reason the coaching staff did not take to Quinton and that started as early as their first meeting according to Quinton. Yesterday one of the Montreal reporters who wouldn’t give a source cited “frustration with his work ethic”… Also both Nicewander and Marsh are close friends so it is possible that the coaching staff liked that dynamic and Porter was the odd man out. Now add to the whole picture that Marsh’s goal is to return to the NFL. So lots at stake for this new coaching staff, they clearly aren’t going to coach scared. How that works out for them, well we are all anxious to see starting tomorrow.

HfxTC wrote: Popp always makes it a point in his "signing speech" to tell a player he still has to make the team. He gave him 30k up front. So the expectation was that Quinton would be the #2 QB when he was signed. For what ever reason the coaching staff did not take to Quinton and that started as early as their first meeting according to Quinton. Yesterday one of the Montreal reporters who wouldn't give a source cited "frustration with his work ethic"... Also both Nicewander and Marsh are close friends so it is possible that the coaching staff liked that dynamic and Porter was the odd man out.
There may have been a personality conflict or asocial aspect to this, as I seem to recall that Porter was deemed somewhat of an outsider by a few teammates when in Hamilton, which led to a push by the locker room clique in favor of the more popular Glenn as starter.

Well AC better not go down because our backups have thrown ZERO pass with bullets flying in this league. Mcpherson and Porter have great records coming in off the bench (not so much as starters) because of their ability to use their legs, a lot like a change up relief pitcher in baseball. These two kids are strictly pocket passers. The fact that most teams are in this situation this year is no comfort.