Questions for ticat fans

1 . The fact that OBIE select CFL assistant coaches will this not cause conflict as TAFFE does not have hs own guys .
2. Anyone have any idea what OBIE plans to do at the RB position . Will he go with Lumsden with CAULLEY and TRE SMITH backig him up and then use a canadian at fb or will he consider LUMSDEN together with one of these 2 guys .
3 . So who looks to be the favorites to to start at the reciever position ? Miles , Armstead , Ponder , Baumann ? anyone have any idea why Frank Murphy got cut suddenly ?
4. I have heard they may consider Barker at safety. ANy idea who the favories are to start the other DB positions ? Dennis Mitchell ? Bradley , Gordon , Mays ? Thompson ?
5. I am confused why they plan to use a DB at the Markeith Knowltn and ray mariuz at the other side ,,any thoughts on this ..seems a weak linebacking corps.
6 Any idea of who looks to be the favorite to play onthe D-LINE with Keith and Mckay Lauscher . I assume they will go with another canadian like ( Wayne, Reid, or Bekasiuk ) along with a decent american DT .

7 I plan to check out the training camp this year . Has anyonbe ever went ? I plan to check it out Monday and Tuesday june 16, 17 . 10 AM and 3 pm at Mac

Did they relese the schedule yet?

No the schedule is not out as of yet just going by past years

Here's the 2008 Schedule I believe:

click here

i was talking about the training camp schedule.

Obie_one has put the pressure on Dickerson to Make a DE spot, but it would not hurt to try him at L.B imho :thup: "Which brings us to the six-foot-four, 240-pound Dickerson, 29.

"We're not even thinking of Kori on offence as his basic position. He will have to make the team as a defensive end/special teams guy," O'Billovich said, adding Dickerson has played the position at the University of Southern California.

If he can make the club's defence, O'Billovich said Dickerson could still find spot duty at tight end.

"He'll start out being on the defensive side of the football. It's not something that is new to him and, if you talk to Kori, he'll tell you he is pretty excited about getting back on the defensive side of the football," the Cat GM said.

Someone O'Billovich is excited about is Keith.

"I felt, when I watched the films and evaluated the players they had on the defensive line last year, he was the one guy who looked like he had a chance to make things happen as a newcomer."

The Cats are still looking for an import defensive tackle who rushes the passer from the inside."

All of your answers can be had once camp gets underway.

1 . The fact that OBIE select CFL assistant coaches will this not cause conflict as TAFFE does not have hs own guys . [b]I believe Taaffe would have a great deal of input into these decisions.[/b] 2. Anyone have any idea what OBIE plans to do at the RB position . Will he go with Lumsden with CAULLEY and TRE SMITH backig him up and then use a canadian at fb or will he consider LUMSDEN together with one of these 2 guys . [b]I'm hopeful that Taaffe again, makes this decision. Clearly...camp PRODUCTION and effort will determine who stays, who goes and who stays here on the PR.[/b] 3 . So who looks to be the favorites to to start at the reciever position ? Miles , Armstead , Ponder , Baumann ? anyone have any idea why Frank Murphy got cut suddenly ? [b]Ratio. Murphy got released because he wanted to try the NFL. No biggie. Who stays is anyone's guess and at this point, that includes Obie and Charlie.[/b] 4. I have heard they may consider Barker at safety. ANy idea who the favories are to start the other DB positions ? Dennis Mitchell ? Bradley , Gordon , Mays ? Thompson ?[b] As above. There are no favourites to start. When you weer 3-15...no one from last year is guaranteed a job. Don't look for Barker to start...look to Beveridge now that Gauthier is gone.[/b] 5. I am confused why they plan to use a DB at the Markeith Knowltn and ray mariuz at the other side ,,any thoughts on this ..seems a weak linebacking corps. [b]Losing Armour weakens the linebacking position. Period. Mariuz can;t tie JoJuan's shoes. We have to be tough, big and fast there...we lack that and I see that as one of our primary weaknesses heading into camp.[/b] 6 Any idea of who looks to be the favorite to play onthe D-LINE with Keith and Mckay Lauscher . I assume they will go with another canadian like ( Wayne, Reid, or Bekasiuk ) along with a decent american DT . [b]Don't bet on it.[/b]

7 I plan to check out the training camp this year . Has anyonbe ever went ? I plan to check it out Monday and Tuesday june 16, 17 . 10 AM and 3 pm at Mac Yes...several times. Wear sunblock.

Good answers by the way ....i think it all depends on whether or not Printers can be the same guy he was in BC a few years ago..

i believe Greibel will start at safety, he racked up alot of tackles in college.

If Casey is not up to scratch I think Richie will be right on Printers heels if hes not playing up to par I think Richie will have a good year.:thup:

Your first two questions are easy to answer.

1. Taaffe made those decisions but with the input of Obie, which happens with most clubs. Desjardins never gave his input so we were stuck with Taaffe's buddies with no experience.

2)It is not up to Obie who the starters are. This is up to the coaches. Obie's job is to get the most talented guys possible and the coaches go from there.

My opinions to the rest:

3)Miles for sure. Baumann for the fact he is a NI. Don't know anything about this Ponder guy so who knows. Murphy may have been a victim of salary cap. Maybe with Rogers signing with MTL (presumably for a lot of $), the Cats are hoping they'll dispose of a decent WR which we can pick up. Don't forget Woodcock, French, Walker. It'll all get sorted in camp.

1. Who knows. My guess is Mays, Bradley and Gordon for the simple fact they are experienced.

5)LB corps: Moreno, Mariuz, and Glasper or Knowlton. Not a bad LB corps. Not sure about Mariuz though.

6)Keith, Loescher, and as for the other ones, they all seem to be new guys to the team, so we don't know alot about them. Obie said he wanted to go with an all-import DL.

1. Never gone to a training camp.

My prediction for the year:
7-11; The simple fact that they have an experienced coaching staff for the CFL, a training camp Printers and a better GM who probably found a few diamonds in the rough this offseason.

thanks catsfan for your comments :

Are you not forgetting Armstead at WR

I am glad OBIE is here . A guy who knows that if a team uses an import at kicker and fullback that they are stabbing themself in the foot. i am also seeing alot of high end young talent coming into camp combined with guys he haf in BC . He is creating competition at most positions. I hope we see a few more import linebackers and D-lineamn brought in .

Having Spoke To Obie
I now he know a Players worth.
He won’t Waist Money on Players
Who are not in Teams Future Plans.
I was Lucky Enought to ask him Question at Kickoff bash.
When I was Reporting on it for My Blog.

I ask him this Question
" What is the Biggest Lesson you learn from Ralph Sazio"

His Answer was "Ralph didnt mind paying for players but He knew The Value of a Dollar.

I Expect To Get the Ticat’s Money
worth Every time I Sign a Player.
Ralph Taught me that "

I like that answer alot

I like that answer a lot too. Exactly the attitude I think we should have in our GM. Spend wisely, on players who expect to earn their pay through hard work. Excellent.

Cookie Gilchrist once said about Ralph "Ralph Sazio's so tight he threw nickels around like manhole covers" :slight_smile:

Not a bad LB corp? I'm glad you like that.

That LB core scares the crap out of me. Moreno can hold his own, the other two as starters....is not a good thing if you ask me.

I didn't say it was an elite group. Moreno can more then just 'hold his own'. He was arguably in the top two LBs last year (with B. Simpson). Saying he can just 'hold his own' is not giving much credit to him. IMHO, he was robbed out of Defensive Player nominee for the East.

As for Mariuz, as I said, I'm not sure about him.

Glasper, before he got injured last year 'held his own'. He was OK, not good, not bad.

Like I said, it's not a bad LB corps. It's not great or even good, but in no means is it bad.

People also underestimate Mike Botterill. If he can remain healthy, he will push Mariuz at camp. His special teams cover ability is an asset.

We just have to watch how things shape up at camp. If Keith and McKay-Loescher can thrive under Creehan's pressure schemes and we get better production at DT, it will help our LB corps a lot. The front seven as a functioning unit has to pick it up so our secondary isn't exposed as it has been since 2002, effectively.

Oski Wee Wee,

1 . The fact that OBIE select CFL assistant coaches will this not cause conflict as TAFFE does not have hs own guys .

Do you have any sources to back up the claim that Obie selected the new assistant coaches? I recall Charlie being interviewed early in the off-season in the Spectator and said that there would be some changes to the coaching staff. Most football operations decisions are usually made with the input of both GM and head coach, it probably varies team to team who gets the finial call (likely the GM).

1. Anyone have any idea what OBIE plans to do at the RB position . Will he go with Lumsden with CAULLEY and TRE SMITH backig him up and then use a Canadian at fb or will he consider LUMSDEN together with one of these 2 guys .

Just my opinion, but I am confident barring an injury that Lumsden will start at TB. He started over Caulley when he was healthy in 2007 but I would think that if Caulley shows well again at training camp he will be involved in the offense more than your average back up running back.

3 . So who looks to be the favorites to to start at the receiver position ? Miles , Armstead , Ponder , Baumann ? anyone have any idea why Frank Murphy got cut suddenly ?

Depends how training camp pans out but my guess is that Miles and Armstead are heavy favourites to start based on their past experience. One Canadian will start and that could be Bauman, French or Woodcock depending on how they perform at camp. French is unspectacular but reliable (good for 500-600 yards/year), Woodcock is a crapshoot considering his rash of injuries over the last few years and Bauman has the physical tools but being that he only has 1 year of CFL experience under his belt he will need practice time and playing time to determine if he is a legit starter in the CFL. In my opinion, Bauman if he reaches his potential won’t be a Rock-type player but more of a Vince Danielson or Fantuz-type receiver. As for the other imports they have size especially Rodriguez but they haven’t proven themselves yet so to predict who would start would be a wild a$$ guess IMHO.

1. I have heard they may consider Barker at safety. ANy idea who the favories are to start the other DB positions ? Dennis Mitchell ? Bradley , Gordon , Mays ? Thompson ?

I would guess that Bradley, Gordon and Mays are favourites to start. There was a BC Lion that Obie signed as a free agent who’s name I can’t recall who he expects will be a strong candidate for the safety spot, he said that this guy was good enough to start on most teams but BC had Barin Miles ahead of him at safety. I think due to the number of DB’s and receivers on the roster those positions will likely have the most doubt as to who will start.

1. I am confused why they plan to use a DB at the Markeith Knowltn and ray mariuz at the other side ,,any thoughts on this ..seems a weak linebacking corps.

Moreno in the middle, either Mariuz or Boterill at the SAM and an import at the WLL with Knowltin as a pre-camp favourite. Most CFL teams go with a tweener (small linebacker/big DB) on at least on of the outside spots for pass coverage purposes so that’s why Knowlton is being considered for a LB spot. Not really sure where Glassper fits in, is he a safety or WLL? He is listed as a DB on the teams website.

6 Any idea of who looks to be the favorite to play onthe D-LINE with Keith and Mckay Lauscher . I assume they will go with another canadian like (Wayne, Reid, or Bekasiuk ) along with a decent american DT

When I talked to Obie, he said he would like to start 3 imports on the D-line which is the reason why they want a Canadian to start as a linebacker. Bekasiak has been mentioned as switching to the O-line in the Spectator and on the team website he is now listed as an O-lineman.

The thing is.... before Moreno showed up, Armour was also just another "OK" linebacker.

with Moreno, he became very very good.

does this mean the others playing in his spot will also get the same boost? no, but they might.