Questions about Kicking Rules

I have a couple of questions about some rare scenarios in the CFL.

1. Is an open-field drop kick through the uprights 3 points for a field goal?

2. One team kicks the ball into the end zone. The returner thinks that the ball is going for a rouge and leaves it. The ball stops inside the endzone, where the returner picks it up, and takes a knee. There is a no yards on the play. Is this a rouge?

1 - 3 points yes. It can be 1 point if wide as well.

2 - receiving team concede the single and take the baĺl further down field…for some reason I can’t recall if it is the 25 or 35…but I think it is the 25, which is a bit odd. Or, they can surrender no point and take it closer to the goal…the 10 IIRC

I think my yardage are right…if not someone will correct me (tis late lol)…either way, you get the idea anyways

Question. Would the drop kick have to come from behind the line of scrimmage?

No

It could also be a TD for the drop kicker if he recovers it in the end zone, I think, but what about anybody else that was onside?

When was the last time a drop kick was even attempted in the CFL?

according to wikipedia:
“On September 8, 1974, Tom Wilkinson, quarterback for the Edmonton Eskimos, unsuccessfully attempted a drop kick field goal in the final seconds of a 24–2 romp over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. This may have been the last time the play was deliberately attempted in the CFL.”

Also, after a drop kick, similar to punt rules, any player who was behind the kicker at the time of the dropkick is eligible (onside) to recover it.

The last time a dropkick was successful in either the NFL or CFL was in 2005, by Doug Flutie, playing for New England.

I know kent Austin did it, and I think the redblacks tried it a few years ago

To number 2) it depends, it’s the returning team’s option, which is

1. Accept the No Yards penalty (which in this case is a 5 yard penalty as the ball touched the ground before he picked it up). However, penalties in the opposing Endzone are applied at the 10 yard line. Thus the end result is no single point awarded and ball is placed on the 15 yard line.

2. Decline the No Yards penalty, which in this case results in a single point and the ball being lined up on the 35.

Now just on a bit on an unrelated tangent, there is some confusion bellow I’d like to sort out.

Your numbers are a bit off, but understandably so. Conceding the single gets you 35 yards. However, penalties in the opposing endzone are applied at the 10. Thus it would be on the 15 (applied at 10, plus 5 yards no yards)

https://cfldb.ca/rulebook/application-of-penalties/foul-in-goal/

The 25 yard number you are pulling, is if said returner caught the ball before it hit the ground, and no yards was called, that would make it a 15 yard penalty. It would then be applied at the 10 yard line, thus the end result would be no single point and the ball being put on the 25. This is also the application on a kickoff, if the goes out the back or the side of the endzone without being touched.

Michael Dickson of the Seattle Seahawks has done a few drop kick kickoffs this year.

To clarify, Doug Fluties kick was the last time a dropkick resulted in a field goal. Since then a few others have attempted drop kicks in different situations.

When Flutie was with the Argos, didn’t they try a drop kick after a forward pass.
Was it Masotti he threw to, underneath the coverage and he made an attempt. I believe he missed.