Questions about 2021

Not politically popular to give handouts to professional sports teams. The only way Edmonton could get money for a stadium upgrade was to get a loan backed by a ticket surcharge. I don’t see much likelihood of a bailout from Edmonton. Perhaps Winnipeg and Saskatchewan, they have new stadiums to pay for.

On a positive note;
Vaccinations are up, cases and hospitalizations are trending down. Even if Ontario's stay at home order is extended until the end of June, an August start might still be possible. Even my 13 year old kids will have at least their first dose before July and many of us will have our second dose around the beginning of August . The prospect of CFL stadiums being allowed at least 25% capacity in August seemed very bleak about 4 weeks ago, but it is starting to seem like a possibility again.
The big questions seem to be:
1-Will the Provincial and Federal governments on June 15th be comfortable in giving an OK for some fans in August in at least some stadiums?
2- How low do cases and hospitalizations have to be before some of the restrictions for larger outdoor events get lifted?

Just had an email from California. They are planning to open up on June 15, no masks required. Exception is large indoor gatherings, conventions, and workplaces where people have not been vaccinated.

If we follow the same sort of timeline, for a mid-August opening we would be looking at about a mid-July decision.

However, California has a higher vaccination rate than we do, especially the two dose vaccination rate.

I haven't been reading or posting because I am so discouraged about the CFL & its possible demise.
A radical thought re this season: why not let the teams who want to play do so & the teams who don't want to play sit out this season. As for merging with the XFL - there would be no Canadian game left so why bother.

1 Like

DQ your wisdom has been missed. Both ideas sound right to me (the first one happily and the second one sadly).

That’s my biggest concern that the Government will not be able to give the CFL a clear answer by June 15th. But then again, the CFL is not looking for no crowd restrictions . A couple of teams have publicly said they would be happy with 25% capacity in August. So maybe that will work in our favour come decision time.

1 Like

He said the country would have the jab by September. That should open stadiums to some fans in August. His words not mine. I’d love to hear you deny he said looney tunes

I am still not convinced that having an X percentage of the population vaccinated (rather partially or fully) by a certain date will in itself automatically allow and/or determine allowability of large gatherings, including at sports events.

1 Like

Here is a story from April 23/24 that is still relevant I believe:

1 Like

It’s up to the individual Premiers but some of them won’t make a decision.
At least in the US some of the Governors have taken the risk and said enough is enough we are opening up and we will suffer the consequences.
Texas had a drop of 58% in covid a month after opening up and dropping the mask mandate. Florida is fully open too and they may have similar positive covid rates a day as Ontario but Ontario is locked down and a much smaller population.

I don’t think Canadian politicians want to make a decision and take a risk, the problem is more Canadians believe that shut downs and masks work while Americans are skeptical. I’ll be very surprised if fans are allowed into the stadiums by September.

The reason that COVID-19 rates have declined is due to vaccination. If vaccinations had not occurred at such a high rate, likely the number of sick people would have mushroomed out of control. Those governors had positive results in spite of opening up and removing the mask mandate, when it easily could have gone the opposite way. However, the reason things worked out the way they did is not the issue. Celebrating the result is much more important. :slightly_smiling_face:

So in PM presser yesterday he said “first shots” to everyone who wants one this summer (I forget just when but I believe it was end of July) then second shot in the fall(no date given)

So how is there any possibility that the CFL can have fans unless you’ve have had both shots and waited the 2 - 3 weeks following for it to provide max effect. My second shot is mid August. Labour Day would be the earliest I could attend in an outdoor event. Until science has established that these new variants will not effect us when fully vaccinated, why risk getting sick over a football game.
I want the CFL to survive. I’ve already paid for my two seats for 2021 and Grey Cup so the Ticats have a good lump of my money I’d like not to lose. If the league folds I believe any money being held by the CFL and their clubs from tickets sales will not be refunded as we are unsecured creditors.

The actual timeline is first shots for everyone before Canada day. Also the second shot timeline, because of increased supply, will be most likely moved to 12 weeks apart ( instead of 16)
The question is will they allow some fans in with only one dose?
If they will only allow fully vaccinated people it will work out for some. For example, if they reduce my wait time for dose 2 by even 10 days I would have my second shot with 2 weeks to spare before August 5th
In my opinion, an outdoor stadium at a spaced out 25% capacity , with masks mandatory, should be safe for even one dose people.
The real issue is that the league wants clarity from government officials by around June 15th. That might be impossible.

I don’t see that as a problem at all . Canadians know that masks , vaccines in arms , and social distancing works to save lives , hospitals , and communities .
Let’s face it . Americans are not that bright when it comes to health care . :roll_eyes:

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

With all due respect to Lenny , the XFL folded but season ticket holders were reimbursed . I know the CFL is better run than the XFL . The Caretaker is not going to stiff any fans !

Pat Lynch (the elderly dude)

2 Likes

:poop: :poop: :poop: :poop:

1 Like

I think the CFL already anticipated this and have already announced a possible plan B to play all games out west until Labour Day.
Edited to ad, maybe the Ontario teams would be happy with 10% or 2000 fans to start, since Ottawa and Hamilton have already said they are willing to play with zero fans to start the season if needed.
Fingers crossed.

1 Like

I know it won't be completely fair to people with only one dose, but the real world evidence shows that fully vaccinated people who are socially distanced and wearing masks should be safe. A study was just published yesterday in the USA that between January 1st and April 13th 99.75% of all Covid hospitalizations were from people with no vaccination or only one dose.
It should be safe to allow 5-6 thousand fully vaccinated people into Tim Horton's field in August and then increase the numbers as the season goes on. People will start to question the point of all this , if restrictions aren't safety lifted for vaccinated people.
I know I'm preaching to the choir though.
Please Note: I am not a Doctor, I just play one on TV.

3 Likes

Joey?? Joey Tribbiani??:grinning:

1 Like

Fully vaccinated people outside shouldn’t have to wear a mask, that’s useless.