Question about Military appreciation day

I already wrote about this event on the Hamilton board, this was my take on it:

[i]You know it is very funny, when I joined in 1983 (to 2006) I was specifically told not to go down town in uniform and not to volunteer that you are in the armed forces (I was in the Armoured Corps). If anyone asked what you did for a living you would say that you were on welfare before you would admit you were in the military as they would huff and turn their back on you. I will always remember a General who spoke to us around 1990 after the Liberal budge cuts came in (the white paper) and he said we went from big and proud to small and angry…how true.

Twenty years later and guys are getting killed overseas and it is a big love in. Now you see guys in combats all over the place (we were told if you wanted to be in uniform downtown to change into S3s, which is dress uniform with tie and shined shoes).

I am not bashing anyone who says they support the military, I certainly do, I just think that it is ironic how a war and dead soldiers can change the public perception. And it isn’t only Canada, my buddy in Australia said it is the same down there now too.

I wish I wasn’t on the way out the door when we went to war, all those years I trained for nothing only to be medically released when I felt I was most needed. Sort of like being on the practice roster for life, and then you get told you are starting next game but they trade you to another team and back down you go.

Anyway…[/i]

That has nothing to do with anything

I already told you that this came from both sides of the political fence

Yes, both sides of the political fence disdain us as a necessary evil.

I don’t follow

Yup, got news for everyone, there is a movement in Toronto to get rid of the Airshow at the Canadian exhibition, why because it scares new immigrants and Refugees. There has been 2 movies even made on the subject.

As per everything else in Canada...minority dictates to the majority.

You think paying respects to members who do essential services such as the military, firefighters, and police is making a political statement?

That kind of thinking greeted Vietnam vets when they returned from war.

Yes, when the military is involved in conflicts someone thinks shouldn’t have occurred and also are involved in so-called collateral damage in killing civilians. Yes, since not too many show their appreciation when they come home with PTSD & suicidal tendencies. Yes, when the military & cops can’t get their own management & governance in order in regards to sexism & racism. Yes, when the cops are inappropriately overtargeting segments of our society and in some cases, killing them disproportionately or not really caring at all about certain crimes.

And the list can go for a page or two. You need to get out on the interwebs a bit more.

But we’ve got to draw a line as a society somewhere. A person might have PTSD because he was attacked and raped by a left-handed person. Does that mean we should not allow lefties out in public spaces because they might upset those who had bad experiences with a lefty?

Maybe it’s better that these people get exposed to the group against whom they have developed such a negative stereotype. How else will they get to know that not every soldier, policeman, man, woman, Asian, African, European, righty, lefty, etc. etc. can be painted with that negative stereotype?

The league’s new slogan is Diversity Is Strength. It would go against that ideal to exclude certain types, like our service men and women.

Don’t see it the same way. I am against a lot of the wars we get involved in. Im sure there are good police forces with good cops and not so good police officers. Still doesn’t mean I can’t show some respect for the good ones who do their jobs in a professional manner.

So glad my service has allowed someone as ignorant as you to paint all military as sexist and racist, simple killers without the capacity to discern between combatants and civilians and all the while selling a political agenda for whatever government has power today.

For your information, since you are in desperate need of an education, there are Conservatives, Liberals, NDP, Green and every other political persuasion in the CF. We are not overtly political. The one great irony is that while my service, and that of every other CF member, allows you the right to call us names, insult us and disrespect us for things beyond the control of the individual soldier I don’t get to exercise that right myself. You don’t like a conflict the government has gotten us into pick up a sign and join a protest. I don’t get to exercise that right. You don’t like the government of the day then campaign for the candidate you think would be better. I don’t get to exercise that right. Not while I am a serving member. We must publicly remain, individually and as an organization, politically neutral. We serve the government of the day no matter who is our Prime Minister.

I’m not going to tell you to shut up or go away, you have a right to your opinion. However, when you tell me that a Military Appreciation event is a political statement then you are saying that by attending as a military member I am actively participating in that political statement. That is insulting and offensive; not because I don’t support the government (which has happened over 36 years of serving under governments I liked, didn’t like and could not stand) but because I as an individual and the CF as an organization are forbidden from displaying support for an one party or political agenda.

I could quote Jack Nicholson, but that would be condescending and I don’t need your thanks anyway. However, if you want to say thank you that’s fine, but if you don’t then just keep moving along and keep your uninformed insults and accusations to yourself.

Well put.

^^^ Yes very well said. The military serves under the command of whatever political party is in power. Nothing to do with one political leaning or the other. Regardless of who is in power we will still have a military and if you think it's insulting to thank those who fill an essential service, don't go to games.

...bravo dc, bravo...

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Yes well said and the OP seems to forget that it is the military that is called in when there are floods and forest fires and ice storms etc, they don’t get overtime pay or complain about it.

per ardua ad astra
arte et marte
nulli secundas
etc

Iguess I'm confused. How does a fly over of fighter jets by the Armed Services express the communityappreciation of the military? This is an action taken by the military itself at the request of somebody. I thought when we show appreciation it was something the community does, something that shows their appreciation of a group.

It's like the police firing off a 21 gun salute and looking at that as akin to the community expressing appreciation. Seems somewhat backward to me.

Thank you, dcmoses, for your eloquent comments, and for your service. While I may not have supported all of the missions that our government has involved our military in, I definitely appreciate the service our military personnel provide.

Fly past is requested by the league or home team. It’s likely felt a bit obligatory and a bit fun as most people do enjoy them. I’m in Trenton and when the F-18s or any other interesting visitor aircraft the parking lot by the ball fields at the west end of the runway fill with locals. We even get people stop just to watch the C-17 and Hercs.

There are a lot of folks out there fascinated with things that fly.

Oh yeah I get that. I just think there’s some confusion as to what constitutes showing appreciation. Or for that matters confusion onwhat actions demonstrate lack of respect forcountry, institutions or employees.