Question about free agency

I likely should know this or where to find it but can't seem to. Is there still a period of time prior to the free agency deadline when players can start to talk other teams, without being released, but not sign a contract ? I remeber this happening in some past years.
On the other hand it appears to me that many teams are being quite successful at retaining their key players. Do you expect much movement after free agency begins?

2 Likes

Ottawa and Montreal have signed practically no one. I expect those two to duke it out in a CFL budget-minded BATTLE ROYALE after free agency begins. Keep your toes and fingers clear of the feeding frenzy.

1 Like

The rules are here
It is a good video that explains all the rules

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/01/13/free-agency-2022-negotiation-window-explained/

1 Like

Grover, thanks very much for the information.

2 Likes

Yes, thanks Grover. So free agency REALLY starts on 30th with (blind?) offers pouring in from other teams.

1 Like

Stupid question - so they are both trying to go as cheap as possible?

Stay tuned for the CFL’s version of Dollarama FA between the RB’s and the Als .

1 Like

Wonder if both ownership groups are just getting pounded by the pandemic and can’t keep up

2 Likes

Welp anything’s possible I suppose .

2 Likes

Cheap. Cheap. Cheap. GM’s love to stock their rosters with bargains to start the season. That way they can afford to make expensive changes later on… which brings us to one of those ‘he who’ moments.

Ahem: “He who spendeth least early can spendeth most later on.”
(the above cheezy quote was totally made up by yours truly) :grin:

1 Like

Not everyone is gonna “push the cap to go all in…and pay a fine if they have to”

3 Likes

Ottawa signed a lot of their own guys before the season ended and for about a week after. They took care of most of their special teams and defensive players.