Question about a specific scenario...

Forgive me for not knowing, I haven't been watching football for a very long time, but I love to keep learning about it. A situation came to mind where I'm very curious as to what would happen.

As I understand it, if a player fumbles the ball, and it goes out of bounds, the ball goes to whoever touched it last before it went out. What if a player fumbled the ball right before entering the endzone (a la Ronald Flemons), but rather than being picked up, the ball went out of bounds through the endzone before anyone touched it. How would you rule this? Would the ball just be placed on the 1-yard line or something?

The rulebook can be your friend

From page 19-20.
Article 4 – Ball Going Into Opponent’s Goal Area When a player directs the ball, other than by kicking, from the Field of Play over the opponent’s Goal Line and hence Out of Bounds in the Goal Area without the ball touching an opponent, it shall be ruled as a fumble Out of Bounds in the Field of Play, with the ball declared dead at the point where it was last touched in the Field of Play.

Article 6 – Ball Touched In Goal Area When a player directs the ball other than by kicking, from the Field of Play over the opponent’s Goal Line where it is recovered by an opponent, or is touched by an opponent before going Out of Bounds in the Goal Area, there shall be no score and the ball shall be awarded to the opponent’s team at its 25-yard line. If in attempting to run the ball out of the Goal Area, the opponent’s team commits an infraction the penalty shall be applied from the 25-yard line.

Ahhh, I didn't know about the Rulebook! Thank you, I'll refer to it from now on. :slight_smile: