Quebec stadium & arena proposal

Wow, all of a sudden this little league of ours has a potential to add new stadiums and dare I say new teams?

That whole deal hinges on an NHL team. With Bettman at the helm, I think we'll be waiting a while.

Wow ! Check out that organizational chart ! They even have a guy in charge of Miscellaneous!

[url=http://www.quebeclnh.com/fichiers/documents/contenu/OrganigrammeAnglais.pdf]http://www.quebeclnh.com/fichiers/docum ... nglais.pdf[/url]

Jack Welch would be proud :?

Well I didn’t find any box for “Miscellaneous” so I presume that was the point, but you know I wondered what it would be like to have a successful organisation with a “Shonda” for “various tasks” dare I wonder …hmmmmm :lol:

You missed it LOL ! You saw the box titled various tasks , one level above to the right is a Various department run by a Phillip O Brien… Probably analyzes if it is a proper Various and than decides to which various tasker to hand off to :lol:

It looks like a clam!

I have a question because I am a little confused on peps stadium
In this picture there is a new building next to Peps stadium on the right side....

[url=http://www.quebechebdo.com/imgs/dynamique/articles/gros/Super_Peps_net.jpg]http://www.quebechebdo.com/imgs/dynamiq ... ps_net.jpg[/url]

Yes in this new picture there is no building ...

http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00001McoYrRgGmk/s

My question is what happened to that building because it was brand new.

I think the buildings were only drawings that were imposed onto an actual picture. I think it was just a rendering not an actual buiding. Those soccer fields look like drawings too

You know, peps stadium can easily be upgraded and expanded for CFL football.
There is a lot of room to do so especially in the end zones.
The recent expansion shows that there is room.
What I would do if I were quebec is expand peps first to 25000 first.
Then over time I would upgrade the lower bowl to meet a better standard.
Remember peps record attendance was 18000 people before the expansion.
25000 is attainable.

You’re right, however…

When Laval got its funding for PEPS, a group of local investors (many of them Laval football team boosters apparently) put together a plan for a CFL team in Quebec. The Alouettes were even actively working to assist them, knowing the value of having a provincial rival.

The Feds (who will happily fund the building of a new arena for any used car dealer who starts up a junior B hockey team), specifically told the university that if their facility was expanded for a CFL team, the funding would be revoked. So understandably, the university refused the “opportunity”.

I dont understand this. I get that no one in Canada wants to go down the insane road that almost all “major league” American cities have gone down in terms of publicly funded stadia and arenas for pro sports teams. Most of these palaces are ridiculous and will never recoup the costs incurred by the public/taxpayers.

Having said that, I have noticed that Canada will routinely build stadia / arenas / other facilities, for international sports meets like the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, Pan American Games, FIFA under 20 World Cup, etc etc. Most of these events are one shot deals. In the case of a Laval / PEPS Stadium expansion, it seems the growing popularity of the Laval Football Program on its own would justify an expansion to 25,000 seats, just to keep it on an even footing with McGill’s Molson Stadium, which is a provincial rival of theirs. IOW, it should pay for itself on that basis (growing interest and support) alone.

And if such an expansion allowed a CFL team to come to Quebec City and be a paying tenant of such a Stadium, enabling the costs to be retired that much more quickly, how is that a bad thing from a business standpoint? I think the government should analyze each deal separately, on its own merits, strictly as a business proposition. Perhaps thats too much to ask for. The government doesnt need to support CFL at the level the US govts Fed State and local all support the NFL. But the CFL IS a Canadian institution, that ought to be worth something right?

(As an aside, what ever happened to converting the Quebec Hippodrome Horse Racing track into a grandstand for a CFL stadium? Did that proposal die?)

That is really nice.

What is the budget on it? Seating capacity?

To answer your questions, capacity is 33,000 regular, expandable to 45,000 with temp seating. Budget is $435 M if retractable roof is included. Here's a link to the summary report: http://www.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGet...1061&PN=Shared. It should answer the main questions. There is a much more complete report on the sask government website if your questions are not answered in the summary report.

Link doesn’t seem to work…

That said, what are the chances of this succeeding? Good, bad, non-existent?

...I'd say fairly good, not a slam dunk but not a longshot either...

wont happen because fact is regina has like 300,000 people. just doesnt add up. sorry 435 million for a stadium in a city that has the least population in the country.. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. they will get a stadium but right now they are in the very very VERY EARLY STAGES.. once regina realizes they are regina... they will come back to reality and scale that project down considerably. besides.. those images above are 2 different stadium proposals.. not the same.

Federal money hasn’t went into an NHL arena since the Saddledome was built in the early '80’s for the '88 Olympics.
The more I think about it, the more I believe that the university doesn’t want the CFL in Quebec City because of what it represents (Canada). The Feds put money into Winnipeg because of the involvement of the University of Manitoba, and they likely would have done the same at Laval.

Nope…same one.

where do you live? not regina so really what you think or say is irrelevant cuz quite honestly and this is harsh but UNLESS YOU LIVE IN REG… YOU DONT MATTER.

…(psst, TKIM, sound familiar?)

Touché :slight_smile: