Quebec City push in 2017/2018?

Wetenhall was approached by Serge Savard to sell the team and he was not interested in the least…

50 million , ok :roll: :roll:

50 million , ok :roll: :roll:

Love expansion talk.... Would also love to see the CFL sneak a team down here south of the border like maybe North Dakota, Montana, Idaho... Just one team... not an entire division....

College is huge down there, Grandforks too small and Fargo is ruled by NDSU who are beating the best teams in NCAA,ZERO chance. Also a little thing called the import rule ???How you fixing that law ???

As I say, CFL should have expanded if it's' all about money that is, decades ago. But I think if the CFL is to survive and thrive long term professionally, it has to expand to a US market, a large US market. Just what I think. Forget QC or the Maritimes, go US. Donald Trump or Bon Jovi right now might be interested. :wink: Stay in Canada, franchise values will stay stagnant - forever and cities like QC will say it's better to have a top CIS team where just enough people locally are getting greased where who cares about winning the Grey Cup or having a more top notch stadium. About getting greased and that's what is happening in QC it seems, it's not about having the best team possible or else you have to have a CFL team.

A business has to grow and the US is where it's at.

They will not support a team , they are 4 downs born and bred, yes Baltimore was a nice story but it ended there. IMPORT RULE !!!End of discussion until that is addressed. The CFL is in decent shape and has a record tv deal , without any American teams.

Fine kasps, then you support CFL franchise values remaining stagnant for the most part and the league not growing as a business. Which is fine, don't get me wrong, but that is what you are saying.

TFC is worth more money than any CFL team and they don't get very good television ratings. What does that tell you? To me it says you have to have American teams to increase your franchise values.

Yup - expansion to the US again would be a complete disaster - much like the last one. A lineup with all American players - which is what any American team would have - once they learned the different rules of our game - would have a HUGE advantage over Canadian teams with their National - International roster limits. And it would be illegal in the USA to try to enforce a ‘you must employ a certain number of Canadians rule’. And any American team would have HUGE difficulty drawing fans IMO.

A - Hamilton ain’t getting two Grey Cups in the next 5 years.

B - Aren’t you off by a decimal point there Mass? To profit $50 million you would have to have revenues for the Grey Cup of what $60 - $70 million or more?

Even 40,000 seats at a ridiculous price like $1000 per ticket is only $40 million in revenue. Let’s get real Mass.

Rich people pouring money in to TFC and taking huge losses will not necessarily translate in to success, if the CFL were to copy their model and goes looking for U.S markets. College football would destroy any CFL team in allegiance and popularity in a U.S. market. Did I mention the import rule ??? Nobody ever has a answer for that one !

I agree with you on that one. For the CFL to expand into the US, it would have to abandon the ratio, also change its name and another problem that can’t be regulated is that most of the star players and coaches will choose to play for the US teams for fiscal, family and exposure reasons.

I’d rather it didn’t happen but financially if done right it could be a route the CFL takes at some point.

why abandon the ratio, things stay the same, or more nationals on Canadian teams, let the U.S. teams use Americans or Japanese it wont matter!!!

agreed, however the acronym need not be changed if called the Continental Football League. (CFL)

Why would we change the name of OUR league ? Not happening but if it did, the American teams would play in the CFL . Canadian football rules.

Not that I think expansion to the US is a good idea - because it isn't - we could probably get away with still calling the league by its letters only 'CFL' or 'LCF' for Quebec - and just never use the full name 'Canadian Football League' - especially in any USA team marketing.

Much like all our banks when they expanded into USA dropped all reference to any Canadian city or Canada because it helped their business to do so.
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce - CIBC,
Toronto Dominion - TD
Royal Bank of Canada - RBC
Bank of Montreal - BMO

In fact I bet you many Americans don't have a clue what some of those bank letters in the names stand for.

Why would Canadian teams have to change the ratio? Canadian teams competed fine in the 90,s. (except of course the Anti Canadian bias posts excluded)
U.S. expansion mite pave the way for further expansion in Canada!! 25 million to 50 million a team would secure the CFL for the next Century!

Hmm - 9-12 Canadian teams needing to fill a certain number of roster sports with Canadians. Some - yes play in US colleges - but there are only something like 27 Canadian schools playing football with rosters of about what 60 ball players. Americans on the other hand have something like 800 College football teams counting all divisions. Some of the top division teams carrying over 100 players each.

Even with the cream of the crop for both nationalities playing in the NFL - the American teams would have infinitely more better athletes to choose from than the Canadian teams in filling their Canadian quotas. Its a simple question of numbers.

Mcowan???

Bla Bla Bla same old Toronto sun steve simmons propaganda, quantity doesn’t make quantity, and the CFL has scouted the U.S. for a century, and look at the U.S. player turnover, they have enough good players for a division and that’s about it!!

lol. Sure Mass keep living in your dream world. As a Cats fan - when a couple of good Canadian players go down - especially if two in the same position - we're in huge trouble finding a quality replacement.

An import goes down and usually we can quite quickly find a decent quality fill in. Just look at the rotating door of American kick returners we've been able to insert into the lineup and what within three or four games we had three different Americans return kicks for touchdowns. There just is nowhere NEAR the depth of Canadian talent to be able to routinely find quality fill ins when your Canadians get hurt.

That is just the reality of it - that for some bizarre reason you don't want to acknowledge as if it makes you a bad Canadian or something. :roll: