Quebec City, NOT Halifax

Ironic post of the year considering your handle is "JetsIn07" The CFL in Halifax and Quebec has the same problems as the NHL in Winnipeg and Quebec... no owner and no venue.

The possibility of an 11 team CFL is in response to your SILLY suggestion that there was some sort of choice to be made between Quebec and Halifax. If the league ever has THAT choice, the league should choose BOTH.

Any proof that Winnipeg doesn’t have a venue and ownership group? No? Then please don’t comment on things you’re you have no CLUE about. Thanks.

Anyways, back on topic, I explain the biggest/best reason why a team in Quebec City is better than a team in Halifax.
[/quote]

Then concern is that you’d take away fans from the Riders…it was a more of a commercial and financial concern. Plus they are called the SASKATCHEWAN Roughriders…not Regina and they are one of the few things that brings our province together and putting a team in saskatoon i think would almost wreck a part of what it means to be from saskatchewan…if that makes sense?

Sure but I wasn’t talking about a Saskatchewan/Ottawa rivalry. I meant the concern about how a team in Quebec City might take away from a Montreal/Ottawa rivalry, if one even comes to pass. I don’t see why it would since there are many reasons for a rivalry.

are montreal and ottawa that big of rivals? i'm asking i honestly don't know

Well, they tried to build it up with the Renegades because it’s the closest city with a team, but I admit that I never really bought into it.

I don’t think Ottawa has a true rival. I think it depends on the era. In the 60’s the met (and usually lost to) Hamilton in the playoffs a lot, and when I went to Riders games in the late 80’s and early 90’s, Toronto was the most fun to hate because they were such a glamour team.

Montreal? Probably just too much time when one or the other didn’t exist for a true rivalry to really live on. :?

Plus, Quebec have good corporate businesses that will support the CFL. Plus, a MOntreal vs. Quebec rivalry would be fantastic for the CFL.

Ron

I'd say Quebec City before Halifax, not just because of the built-in rivalry the team would have with my Als, but also because a Halifax team would be a bit of a scheduling problem being one hour ahead of EST. Imagine B.C. playing Halifax, how on earth do you schedule that game on a week night so fans of both teams can watch it?

What about MNF and a game between the Patriots and Raiders? Same problem.

1. MNF is a marquee matchup featuring teams specially selected by the league, so the chances of that happening are remote. The vast majority of NFL games are played on Sunday. One MNF game per week is unlikely to feature two teams from distant time zones.

2. The NFL has so many teams that teams don’t play outside their conference. The Patriots and the Raiders would never face each other in the regular season.

3. We’re not talking about a three-hour time difference (Oakland vs. Foxborough), which is substantial but manageable, we’re talking about a four-hour time difference if B.C. played any potential Halifax franchise.

Sure they will. Each division plays one division from the other conference every year. The NFC East plays the AFC North this year.

But it doesn’t even have to be out of conference. The 49ers play in New York (Giants) this year, for example, and both are NFC teams. It happens all the time.

And the Patriots play at Oakland in week 15. But in terms of MNF, The Jets play at San Diego.

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/schedule?year=2008&season=0]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/schedule? ... 8&season=0[/url]

Fair enough, but again, it's only a three-hour gap maximum. A four-hour gap would be substantially more difficult to schedule.

I would say put on into Halifax....the Maritimes are just as much a part of canada as anywear else yet the closest team they have is in Quebec.....

Give them a team and what them rival the Riders for support because they don't have an NHL or other sport team to compete with......

The Quebec fans will still have the ALs to hold them over for a few more years after the Atlantic Pride start up in Halifax...

[/quote]
Uh, MTS seats 15,000, please explain how an arena that size could pay for $56 million in players salary and a bunch more for team costs?

Patriotism and sentimentality asside, whichever city gets its act together (solid ownership, 30K+ quality stadium) should get a franchise first. It doesn't matter where.

leeinq said: Uh, MTS seats 15,000, please explain how an arena that size could pay for $56 million in players salary and a bunch more for team costs?
Well considering that Carolina, Phoenix, NY Islanders, Tampa, Florida, Boston, Atlanta, and sometimes Chicago and St. Louis only get about 7,000 - 10,000 [b]PAYING[/b] (aside from the "freebie" tickets) customers a game, if anything it's too big! :lol:

And just because the cap maximum is $56 million (or whatever), it doesn’t mean all NHL teams have to spend that amount.

If you want to talk about hockey, PM me. Otherwise lets keep this discussion on the CFL in Quebec City/Halifax.

You can’t compare U.S. cities to Canadian cities. American’s give plenty of handouts to owners to keep pro sports teams around (even in a sport with a small following like hockey). That just doesn’t happen up here.
The MINIMUM amount that each NHL team must spend has risen to $40.7 million http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/06/26/new_cap_nhl/ Do you think Winnipeg can afford that? What if the cap continues to go up?

If all other things were equal, and the CFL had to choose either Quebec City or Halifax, I believe they would choose Halifax. Halifax would open up nationwide marketing opportunities, while in no way infringing on another team like a Quebec City team would the Alouettes.

Time difference shouldnt be a problem.. here in the maritimes almost all our channels go by eastern time that we naturally assume "7pm" means 8pm.. our scheduals usually revolves being awake an extra hour.

schedualling an 8pm AST (7EST) kickoff wouldnt make the slightest difference here if it were to come down to it. everyone would show up, and the rest would still flick on the tube at 8pm like we do every week for the "early" of the double headers/eastern games.

Edmonton is planing on replacing Rexall because it is too small and has too few suites. It seats 1,800 more than MTS and has 21 more suites. Even if MTS was sold out for every game, they would have lower attendance than every team but Nashville, Columbus, Phoenix and the Islanders. But since the Jets highest average attendance was 13,694 per game, 15,000 might be bigger than they need. You’d better get somebody to read this to you, you might not be able to see this post through your rose coloured glasses! :slight_smile:

Could you tell us about the ownership group? I’ll admit I haven’t heard anything about them in the news.