Quarterback Predictions

And, because of my age, I snarfed my Ensure with the Fatty Arbuckle reference…

I love the humour - keep it going Bobo82!

I can’t believe that I finally get a prediction right, and it’s about O’Shea being a decent fellow.

Watford was re-signed today. Ticats re-up former Riders quarterback David Watford - 3DownNation

Here's one that I didn't even mention . In fact he wasn't even on my radar . Former Ottawa QB Will Arndt has signed on with the BC Lions .

more here from 3DN...Former Redblacks QB Will Arndt signs with B.C. Lions - 3DownNation

Yeah, you assumed BC would not need a backup. Not the craziest assumption - when Reilly started for EDM in 2018 his backup (Kevin Glenn) did not throw a single pass all year.

They also signed Vinny Testaverde’s kid at QB…

(no joke)

BC may not be concerned about having a strong backup - or perhaps they don’t have the option after paying the starting QB so much. Hence, Danny O’Brien last year, and the effective end to their season when Reilly got hurt. And now, these less-than-exciting guys in 2020.

It looks more and more like Arbuckle to OTT and Nichols to TOR. I would think both those teams will want backups who can theoretically challenge for starter.

The other team that should be most concerned about its backup is WPG, due to past injury concerns regarding its starter.

Best remaining backup will be MacBeth, who should wind up with one of those three teams.

Yup , little Vinny jr ;D

more here from 3DN…Official: Lions sign quarterbacks Vincent Testaverde Jr. and William Arndt - 3DownNation

BCs season had effectively ended well before Reilly got hurt.

4 wins as a starter, will be interesting if skinflint Desjardins opened the purse strings to get him!

(It appears that he did)

CGY gets OTT 1st OVR, OTT gets CGY 6thOVR in the upcoming draft

The fact that Nichols’ long-time OC LaPolice preferred the relatively raw Arbuckle to be his guy seems like a telling commentary on Nichols. Best of luck in TOR, Nichols!

And TOR, congrats on getting to choose between the 9th and 10th most sought-after QBs in Nichols and MacBeth. (Possibly lower if you include Evans in the mix.)

This has turned out to be a crazy day for signings and releases! :o

Maybe Lapo knows that Nichols is much more injured than other people think.
Time will tell

Just for fun lets compare both Masoli and Evans combined 2020 contract cap hit to the 4 win of 7 starts
cap hit that Arbuckle just signed in OTT

Evans was set to make a maximum of $213,000 in 2020 on a contract that was heavily incentive-laden. The deal included just $80,000 of hard money in the form of base salary and a housing allowance.
His new contract includes a $25,500 signing bonus, though his housing bonus has been lowered to $12,000. This means Evans will make $102,500 in hard money in 2020 plus incentives that could carry the deal to a maximum of $230,000.

Masoli recently signed a one-year deal with the Tiger-Cats that includes $387,000 in hard money, per TSN’s Farhan Lalji. The former East Division Most Outstanding Player started six games in 2019 before suffering a season-ending ACL tear.
The 31-year-old can earn up to *$460,000 if he reaches all of his incentives in 2020.

*Some of Masoli's contract came out of the 2019 excess cap
Both Masoli and Evans probably both can't make their incentives

Masoli with all incentives made {minus $100K from 2019 cap}$360K, plus Evans $103K.
Comes out to approximately $463 K total for 2020 cap hit for both QB's

And it should be noted that OTT still needs a 2nd QB at a minimum of $65K

Arbuckles new Contract

You never know who will come to the CFL and become a great QB.
Doug Flutie toiled around USFL, NFL, NFL Replacement player during the strike. Within a 5 year period and exploded onto the CFL.
Trevor Harris toiled around NFL TCs, Arena Fooball leaague, UFL, for 4 years to. Than came to the CFL and it took another 4-5 Cfl seasons before he got his shot to be an elite CAL starter.

Now that brings me to Macbeth. From Arena Foolball League, UFL, Multiple NFL camps & Practice rosters for 5 years of so.
He is now entering his 5th CFl season at 31 years old.
Trevor Harris is now 33 yrs old.
Doug Flutie didn’t hit the CFL until he was almost 30.

Streveler released, has multiple NFL offers

With Streveler signing with the Cardinals, the Bombers may be in need of a backup for Collaros .

Perhaps they go for Nathan Rourke in the 2nd round of the CFL draft or maybe the 2 Colours take

him . The Bombers might also look to Antonio Pipkin who’s available .

The QB wheel just keeps on turning and proud Mary just keeps on burning.

Pat Lynch (a big Tina Turner fan )

Interesting how Streveler manages to land an NFL contract but BLM could not. ???

BLM is essentialy a pure passer with a proven winning record and Streveler was a backup/short yardage/special packages QB with a main skillset of running.

The NFL must be favouring his size or physique or some other skillset that somebody like Mitchell might lack for an NFL field.

Streveler may not be trying out as a QB. see Taysom Hill

Sometimes I joke about CFL stars giving up their prominent roles here to become benchwarmers and bit players in the NFL. In Streveler’s case, I think his choice is between CFL bit player and NFL bit player, so it becomes more of a no-brainer.