Quand les Alouettes fermeront-ils les portes?

Let’s not forget that Andrew Wetenhall has only been truly in charge for roughly a year. It doesn’t excuse the fact that he has tried to rush things through to be competitive this season by meddling in football ops. However, I am somewhat hopeful (although that sentiment may change in a few months) that he will be wiser and be more patient with the process of being competitive again.

As for Kavis Reed, I give him an additional season to show he can build a respectable team and recruit well, both in Canada and the US.

For me, the main factors explaining the results are the ratio shakeup and the OL depth. Going with 2 Nationals at DT and 2 Internationals at OL is madness, especially since the only true ratio-breaking DT in free agency is Cleyon Laing. That thinking led Kavis to draft Fabion Foote, who seems nowhere ready yet, as his 1st pick, instead of reinforcing the OLine with players like Schram, Roy or Spooner.

Wally Buono has assessed that both Shologan and Westerman are effective when they play half of the snaps and he was right. Both have not been able to pressure the QB on a regular basis, while we see Toronto being stacked with quality DLinemen.

Moreover, Kavis has misassessed the OLine, with LBJ and Simmons not being able to withstand pressure from opposing pass rushers. The money spent on Simmons would have been better spent on a guy like J’Michael Deane, who was available on free agency until late March and who was a starter for Ottawa. The fact that he let go of both Ryan White and Jacob Ruby, who are in my opinion better than both Greaves and Vonk, obviously do not help our OL woes and depth.

Patience is the key here. If Kavis misassessed the players on the roster and repeats the same mistakes as in this season, he deserves to be fired. Until then, I won’t mind the turbulence right now.

Important to remember, Reed has been around the organization for the past three seasons.
It's not like he came in not knowing the players that were on the roster prior to him being selected as GM.

Merci pour tes commentaires,LeStaf. Une chance que je n'attends pas après l'argent des Alouettes, car je serais pauvre en maudit; je ne pourrais même pas m'acheter une "gomme balloune" même si à 1 cent, comme le prix était lors de mes jeunes années.-Il y a fort,fort longtemps.-

Malheureusement, pour certains si les commentaires ne sont pas comme eux, tu est soit idiot ou tu reçois de l'argent d'une formation ou de quelqu'un. Je respecte l'opinion des autres et certains de ces commentaires, comme les tiens LeStaf ou ceux de Sheldon, me font réfléchir. Je ne crois certainement pas avoir toujours raison. Comme j'aimerais avoir,un jour, l'occasion d'aller prendre un café ensemble ou l'un des deux et de discuter de plusieurs items,dont les Alouettes.

Je maintiens mes écrits d'hier et je ne sais pas si Kavis Reed sera de retour l'an prochain, mais,pour moi, ce serait une erreur de le remplacer. Je lui donnerais une autre chance. Pour moi,une de ses graves erreurs fut l'embauche de Darian Durant-jusqu'à quel point il a été influencé par Jacques Chapdelaine- et le fort prix payé pour et à lui. Je n'ai jamais été un fan de lui et je l'ai écrit avant son embauche; j'aurais embauché Kevin Glenn,bien avant lui. Chris Jones sort le grand gagnant. Suite au salaire d'au moins $400,000 alloué à Darian,l'embauche d'Ernest Jackson à au moins $165,000 ainsi que Jovon Olafioye, sensiblement au même salaire, personne n'avait besoin du quotient intellectuel de James Wood ou celui de Sharon Stone pour savoir que ces hauts salariés, ainsi que ceux déjà signés, étaient,et de loin, supérieurs au cap salarial maximum de $5,150,000. pour 2017. Résultats: Départs/ échange de joueurs.

Après la signature de Durant, pour moi la deuxième grande surprise fut la signature d'Ernest Jackson. J'étais convaincu que S.J.et Ernest ne pourraient débuter la saison avec les autre 44 joueurs actifs; pour moi, je voyais S.J. sur la liste des blessés pour au moins 6 parties; d'ailleurs, le Dr. Lacroix avait mentionné à Kavis que S.J. ne serait pas assez rétabli, d'où l'embauche d'Ernest, ce qui se comprend très bien.

Je fus surpris du congédiement de Bear Woods, mais ce fut une décision monétaire; jusqu'au jour de sa blessure, Dominique Tovell l'a très bien remplacé et le départ de Bear n'explique aucunement les résultats actuels. S.J. nous a manqué beaucoup plus que Bear.

Comme je l'écrivais hier, les départs certains/probables de vétérans tels: Nik Lewis, Chip Cox, Stefan Logan,John Bowman, Kyries Hebert,Ernest Jackson, Darian Durant et d'autres moins hauts salariés vont libérer un for montant de $$$$$$ pour signer certains de nos agents libres potentiels et certains de d'autres équipes. La question numéro demeure toujours: Qui sera notre prochain quart-arrière? Sans un bon quart ce sera encore très difficile. Je n'ose même pas m'aventurer sur qui ce pourrait être.

Je sais que la patience a ses limites mais on devra être patient.

Richard

Kavis wasn`t my 1st choice, like others I wanted Sunderland. But as a fan and with a new season giving renewed hope, I was willing to give him a chance.

However hes had his chance, and its easy to see hes not the guy to rebuild a team. Hes a culture guy, hes not a personnel guy. And if I want culture Ill go the the friggin opera. We need talented football players to compete with the elite teams, and there`s enough of a sample size to see Kavis (and Mack) are not the guys who are going to find them.

Would any other team hire Kavis as GM? Is he in the same league as a John Murphy, Sunderland, Buono, or even Popp?

It kind of reminds me of the time Ronald Corey hired Rejean Houle to succeed Serge Savard. Another good guy, but in over his head.

But Richard I admire and respect your loyalty!

Meanwhile, Kwaku Boateng, drafted 41th, has 17 tackles and 4 sacks…

Effectivement, je voulais parler de Ryan White.

Je dirais également que les Alouettes ont laissé aller Anwar Stewart et Kris Sweet. Le moins qu’on puisse dire, c’est que leurs remplaçants n’ont pas livré la marchandise.

My question is this. If Kavis Reed was that good, why did he not get offers to be a GM or a HC after he was let go from Edmonton? Why did he come to the Als as their ST coach years later?

Same goes for Chapdelaine. Why did he bounce around and why was he not offered a HC position before?

And given Reed has been with the organization for the past couple of years, he should have know the players on the roster. He was not coming in as GM blind.

As you said Ideal, he had his chance and it’s time to cut ties and move in another direction.
This organization has been on a downward slope for years and Reed failed in getting this turned around. This team is worse than last and the cupboards are bare the way I see it.

If this was the business world, do not think Management would be sitting there saying “give Reed another year”.
Wettenhall seeing the empty seats, lost revenue, losing record, wonder if he is thinking the same
“give Reed another season”.

Time will tell.

And yes, have to admire Richard for his loyalty.

Well you won’t be able to step away for very long, if your looking for laughs :slight_smile:

They have no choice to liquidate Reed or he will cost way more in lost season tickets. He’s done like dinner and what is he going to do better this offseason than he did last year. At least last year he had the benefit of the doubt from agents, players, and fans. Now he doesn’t even have that. Which will complicate his work even more.

It is true that he will have pockets full of money, the problem is nobody will take it until they have exhausted better opportunities.

Now recruiting… The best he could do was Joe Mack. He couldn’t even retain Joey Ahbrams who as far as I can tell is on a sabbatical! He didn’t even quit for another job. If they leave Reed in place. Watch Brendan Taman be hired by him! I’m serious. That’s the only guy desperate enough to go work for Reed right now.

Reality is the choices at this point are Hervey or Barker and I suspect the conversation with them would be similar to Sunderland, maybe a little more flexible as they will become desperate if there are no other offers this off season.

So EVERYBODY missed on him 3-5 times.

Agreed drafted Fabion Foote may not be ready to play, but why don't you talk about players drafted before him and who have done nothing,yet.

DL Faith Ekalitie Winnipeg
LB Cameron Judge Saskatchewan
WR David Vandervoort BC
WR Nathanie Behar Edmonton
OL Geoff Gray Winnipeg I know he is in a NFL practice roster. The Giants, I think.
OL Woods Toronto

Many,beside Foote, don't seem ready.

Richard

There is not ready to start and not ready to dress... Two very different things.

Since I’m the one who brought up the subject, I do not necessarily disagree with the idea of drafting Fabion Foote.

My issue is that Kavis Reed was so ratio-obsessed that he only thought of selecting a DT as his 1st pick, instead of going like almost every other team and pick an OL to reinforce an aging offensive line.

Also, it looks like none of the top DTs are going to be huge contributors in the CFL, whether it is Ekatikie, Luke, Foote or Vaughn. Moreover, Okafor’s future seems to be as an OL.

You bring up one of the main reasons why I would not give him another opportunity, he doesn't learn, his oline depth in Edmonton and his inability to put his QB in a position to win got him fired.

What kind of guy with 15 years CFL experience maligns his Oline???

I don't know if he's a racist but his roster management stinks of racism. Facts are there...

Ruby out Olafoyle in
Brouillette out Phillips/Wright in
Perrett out Simmons in
Shorthill out Plesius in
Woods out Tovell in

All of his free agents signing are black players
Most if not all of his draft picks black players.

That coincidence? :o

Danny Barrett must be on his way to take the HC job.

Rendus bas en maudit quand on juge un directeur général par la couleur des joueurs signés ou repêchés.

Deux sinon 3 des choix au repêchage sont "blancs". De plus:

Adams out-Black- Willy in -White-
Cato out-Black- Shiltz in-White-
Ryan White out-Black- Sean Jamieson in- White-

Richard

Honnêtement, je me fous de la couleur de la peau du joueur. Fait-il le travail ou ne fait-il pas le travail est la seule question qui compte. Jusqu’à maintenant, la plupart de ses sélections ne le font pas.

This is sheer madness to post this. Disgusting and shameful.

A post equivalent to a Trump tweet.

You mean a post from a racist lunatic? This is OK here? from an Edmonton fan yet.

Johnny was reading an article that states that 70% of NFL players are black. It is logical to conclude from this stat, that there are many more black football players than white players.So when a player is replaced, it is much more likely he will be replaced by a black player, simply because there are more of them.

We can put the racism angle to rest. Kavis Reed has flaws, but he is not a racist.

[i]http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/football/201709/28/01-5137515-les-proprietaires-de-la-nfl-ont-peur-de-leurs-joueurs-affirme-trump.php[/i]